This Should Go Well: Westboro Baptist Church Says It’s Going To Iraq To Protest ISIS

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
I feel pretty good about this actually....

Westboro Baptist Church, the hate group that masquerades as a religious organization, is known for their publicity stunts, but they may have bit off more than they can chew with this one. After a comedian offered to pay for them to fly to Iraq so they can protest real Christian persecution at the hands of Islamic militants, the group tweeted that they have accepted his offer. They want to take their picket signs and head over to a country currently occupied by a group that beheads Christian children without hesitation – this ought to go well.

To bring you up to speed: Last week, Australian comedian Adam Hills gave an brilliant, hilarious proposal to the WBC after learned that they planned to – surprise, surprise – picket Robin Williams’ funeral. On his show, The Last Leg, Hills pointed out that the infamous “God Hates Fags” group is quick to march around with signs protesting American hedonism, but don’t have the courage to protest the daily persecution Christians in Iraq are facing at the hands of “the people threatening to behead Christians if they don’t convert.”
This Should Go Well: Westboro Baptist Church Says It’s Going To Iraq To Protest ISIS

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
My god. Now we're gonna have to send in Special Ops to get back these nut jobs?:rolleyes:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Nah. ISIS will just kill them for insulting Allah. I'm guessing WBC will be stupid enough to stand around with signs insulting Islam in one of the most dangerous countries in the world.
And what ALWAYS happens after Americans are killed anywhere in the world by extremist groups?

I hope everyone is ready for another misguided, financially destructive war.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
My god. Now we're gonna have to send in Special Ops to get back these nut jobs?:rolleyes:
My bet is they won't go...and justify it by pointing out the flying is an instrument of the devil, it is not mentioned in the bible, and that they are too busy to build a biblically acceptable ark to make the trip.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
My bet is they won't go...and justify it by pointing out the flying is an instrument of the devil, it is not mentioned in the bible, and that they are too busy to build a biblically acceptable ark to make the trip.
I'll bet that you are right. If they did go, it would not turn out well. We'd have to release the rest of Gitmo to get them back.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
If I'm not mistaken they do fly around already protesting events and what not.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Islam is a religion of peace. What could go wrong?

Funny thing is I hear about the horrors of the Utah Theocracy and how terrible Christianity is but when WBC came to Utah, no one assumed they would be killed or hurt.

Yet people here automatically assume WBC would be dead meat in the middle east.

Interesting.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I already read that they weren't going.
That's somewhat disappointing, although probably a good thing for the Christians there in Iraq as I'm pretty sure having a hate group claiming to be christians there would just make things worse for all christians in the country.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If it turns muslim groups in areas outside of IS control against them and spreads that violence then yes it would be worse.
Yeah we know about the delicate sensibilities of people that feel the need to kill an ambassador over a youtube video...so says Hillary Clinton.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
The Westboro Baptist Church is:

1. Extremely entertaining (I would pay good $$$ to see a docu about them in iraq :D)

2. A true triumph for the first amendment.

There is no other place that would let them run around freely and I think that's in fact good.

chrono1081

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I hate to be the buzzkill but they wouldn't be able to get into the country anyway. If you're American and don't have an Iraqi work visa or dual citizenship (or are coming over for military reasons) you aren't getting in.