This SIM for travelling to New York?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by virginblue4, Jun 18, 2013.

1. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The 1700/2100 requirement looks to be using the T-Mobile network. Since you're using a UK iPhone it will not have the requisite bands, so it will only run on EDGE… if you're okay with that.

So short answer: It works.

Long answer: Not the way you'd want it to (read above)

3. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Thanks for that. Is there another option you're aware of that doesn't cost the earth? Thanks :)

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are a couple options; one of them is StraightTalk. It's $45 for unlimited talk and text. They say unlimited data, but I think it's limited to 2GB or something like that. There are two versions; one runs on AT&T's network and the other on T-Mobile's, so you would want the one that runs on the former.

Not sure if you want this one online, but it's available in some stores.

The alternative is to get an AT&T prepaid SIM card; that's like $60 for unlimited talk and text with 1GB of data. Not exactly cheap, but depends on what you need it may be the easiest to buy (since there are a lot of AT&T stores around).

5. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Thanks for that, however when I try to choose a SIM each one says in important information section "You will need a compatible GSM T-Mobile phone."

6. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

7. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Pretty expensive for 10 days. I'm shocked at how few options there are for people travelling to the US.

8. 617aircav Suspended

Prepaid in America are so unfriendly to the short time visitor. When I visited the UK I was up and running for 6 pounds. A SIM card cost 1 pound, in America they will charge you 10 dollars.

9. Baggio macrumors 6502

NYC on T-Mobile might be re-farmed for HSPA+ on the regular 850/1900 frequencies. If so, that wouldn't be so bad, but if you are planning on travelling elsewhere in the US, you might only get Edge data speeds.

10. virginblue4 thread starter macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Yeah, there are so many more options in the UK, pretty much all of them substantially cheaper.

I'll only be visiting NY so may just go with the T-mobile option.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

For 10 days just do the T-Mobile option. I think it's like $3 per day for pay as you go and they actually have stores unlike the MVNOs.