This small piece may have fallen out of my MacBook Pro and I don't know what it is

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alexsmith11394, Oct 29, 2014.

1. alexsmith11394 macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

I took my MacBook Pro out of my bag today and noticed this small piece stuck to the outside of the Ethernet port. It obviously scared me. I don't recognize it, it's possible that it's something random that did not come out of the MacBook and was just floating around my bag, but I have no idea. Can someone tell me if they recognize this part and if it's something that needs replacing? I'm using the laptop right now and nothing is noticeably wrong. (This is my first time using the forum.)

2. HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I suggest opening a web browser and typing a search for your specific MacBook Pro- something like...

2014 15" Macbook Pro with Retina teardown

That last word should point you to a site like iFixit where they will show you images of them slowly disassembling your MacBook Pro model. Each image can typically be clicked and then it's a variation of "Where's Waldo" in hunting for a part in their pictures that looks like that part.

OR, you might also take close-up, as-clear-as-you-can pictures of both sides of that part and carefully measure it so that maybe someone on here can recognize it. I hope that helps.

3. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

If your laptop is working well, I would think it's something foreign.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I would also agree that it sounds like the thing is a foreign object. Not much can escape from the inside of a Macbook Pro.

Just to be safe though, look up a teardown of said computer.