This store just won my respect

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was already predisposed to shop more often at JCPenney because of their new pricing structure. Now I'm even more so.

Anerican Family Association, huh? Figures.

For the record, I find Ellen DeGeneres annoying. But not because she's gay.

Anyway. Nice going JCP. :)

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its nice to see a store take a stance against hate groups.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Refreshing to see a company do the right thing (you watching, Lowes?).

4. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Don't forget Target. A friend of mine worked there and said they have an anti-gay policy. (Also apparently Lady Gaga prevented her record from being released there because of their anti-gay stance).

5. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised to hear this. There are several flamboyantly gay men and a MTF transsexual working at my local Target. Is this a corporate policy problem or was there a specific incident in the news? Not saying you're wrong, just surprised I'm that out of the loop.

6. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Awesome. I am definitely more inclined to shop there more.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Nothing in the news but my friend heard two managers talking in the office about why the guy was fired right after they fired him.

8. marc11 macrumors 68000

So your friend told you what he heard someone else talking about an incident that may or may not have been an anti gay firing? and that translated to a corporate wide policy against gays? Hmmmmm I think maybe this is a case of the story changing as it changed hands.

9. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

mad?

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Exactly. It's bs like this that starts stupid rumors. The guy's friend should not say Target is anti gay just because someone was fired.

I'm glad to see JCP stand behind their decision.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Well played.

I'll ask with more words: Who the **** are One Million Moms? I assume they are ubiquitous givem the necessity of the thread. Just haven't heard of them myself befor this tonight.

13. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

They're an affiliate of the American Family Association. :)

14. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's because they're most likely a propaganda front established by a fundamentalist group, similar to the toomanyaborted.com campaign that ran in LA for a while. The ad campaign claimed to be funded by a black activist group that didn't exist, and was filled with grossly skewed statistics and low-brow racial pandering to the black community.

15. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Ah. Thanks. I'll make it a point to never hear a mention of One Million Moms, or its surrogate American Family Association, again.

Glad a light was cast on this.

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Good luck with that.

17. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I wouldn't be surprised if he is right:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/27/target-homophobia-ceo-gre_n_660990.html

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20011983-503544.html

http://blogs.citypages.com/gimmenoise/2011/03/lady_gaga_dumps.php

But I should have said they *apparently* have an anti-gay policy. This was also not the first friend I had that worked there that mentioned this, he was just the one who heard two managers talking about why they fired a gay guy.

18. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

They should change their name to "one million unintelligent women who desperately need to get laid". It may be long winded, but it's probably more accurate. Here is another of their issues. A retailer riding trends is nothing new. They do whatever they think will sell stuff. These women are just being weird about it.

---------------------------------------------------------
    Issue Details

Macy's Continues to Offend Customers

Recently Macy's Department store mailed its newest catalogue out to many Americans. In the hopes of making sales, instead they offended many customers in the process. The back cover looks like just a regular advertisement for their wedding registry service, but there is one major difference.

When you take a closer look you see the cake topper of two men instead of the traditional man and woman. The ad also includes a license plate that reads "I do" and hearts scattered everywhere. Macy's must believe this is mainstream, but just because gay marriage is legal in a few states, this is inappropriate marketing and conservative customers will not support it.

------------------------------------------

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I agree, I don't like her TV shows, but this shows resolve. Well done!

20. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

They must never have seen the Dolce and Gabanna ads that don't make it to the U.S. if they think this is bad :eek:

21. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Damn. Beat me to it. :D

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I don't know but let's hope they don't all menstruate during the same week. :eek:

23. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't think people who are this concerned about what JC Penney does have seen very many D&G ads, with all respect to Mr Johnson (who has a lot of work to do).

Good for JC Penney -- no one on the fashion world is going to be impressed by homophobia. Now let's see you do some work on the garbage you stock and call clothing.

24. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I think all of this BS was laid to rest in this article. Target has in fact been very LGBT-friendly.

25. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Pseudonym for a Group of Grumpy Granpas?

Desperately trying to sound more relevant than they are.