This sucks - I can't go to Lion for now - NAS AFP support busted...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by mobilehavoc, Jul 20, 2011.

1. mobilehavoc macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

2. MaxBeagleton macrumors member

Synology Beta AFP server seems to work.

Wow, did I luck out! I didn't even consider not being able to connect to my NAS when I installed Lion today. After I found out that Lion wasn't mounting AFP shares from my DS210+, I quickly found the Synology Beta 3.2 and it seems to work.

3. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

Iomega doesn't seem as prepared or ready to support it. Sucks because it's a great NAS and I have 400GB of Time Machine backups and other stuff on there I don't want to lose access to it.

4. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Install Lion, created small partition put SL on that, bobs your uncle?

5. mobilehavoc thread starter macrumors 6502

mobilehavoc

So you're saying create a partition for SL and run TM from there? How does that help with the Lion install? IF and when I go to restore with Lion recovery it will not see NAS. Also TM only backs up current partition right?

I think I'm going to just chug along with SL until Iomega fixes it on their side or people find a hack/workaround.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

QNAP has an update to their OS, that fixes the AFP issue with Lion's TimeMachine. I'm in no rush to apply it since I'm still on Snow Leopard.

7. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

In order to use Time Machine with non-Apple NASes with Lion, you need netatalk version 2.2 or later. Problem is, version 2.2 is still in beta, so most vendors will be hesitant to use it on their product. Also, you need to specify UAMS DHX2 on netatalk 2.1.5 or later.