This T-Shirt for Girls Has the Internet Pissed at Old Navy

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 30, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://news.yahoo.com/t-shirt-girls-internet-pissed-151649601.html
    [​IMG]

IN a world full of Krapdashians we need more Dianna's.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

People have too much time on their hands if this is what they get so offended over.

3. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

TIL People will be offended by just about anything.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

My god, TWITTER has said something, therefore it must be a common sentiment.

Meanwhile, there are millions of views of a video of a monkey smelling his own finger, so naturally it will be big news tomorrow. That's how this works right? People online talk about something, and therefore that's what everyone clearly cares about? Wait, that doesn't make sense....

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It has Trump 3 steps away from being president.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Maybe as far as media coverage goes, but mathematically something drastic would have to happen to every demographic but middle aged angry white conservatives for that to happen.

All I'm saying is just because "the internet" is buzzed up about a particular thing doesn't mean that sentiment is widespread or even held onto as vigorously in person as it is behind a wall of anonymity.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

your post offends me........

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the internet is serious business my friend............

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

CNN and the other news networks get their stories from Twitter. The kids they use that internet so that is where the networks turn as well.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea, I've had major gripes with that trend. Not that it was even remotely good before, but CNN hired on a Fox news guy as a higher up a few months back (CBS did as well) and I've seen the shift towards fluff accelerate since then.

Of course, this is from a crotchety 24 year old who despises twitter.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Here's the thing tho, Twitter does a better job at reporting breaking news.

12. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

To be fair, as a professional artist/designer, I live in a world where my work isn't considered a "real job/career" so I can see where some kids on Twitter are angry.

13. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Remove "Artist" and that's the end of the discussion, empowering message sent without putting down one to boost the other. This is just controversy bait.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That is true, it's a very good early alert system. But ALL breaking news tends to be shockingly inaccurate compared to details that get confirmed hours or days later.

Speed when it comes to important events is not always your friend. Remember how there were THREE shooters in San Bernardino? ;)

15. Apples n' Stone macrumors 6502a

Apples n' Stone

A woman I know posted on Facebook that she was "offended" by her christmas presents not being up to scratch... Like "only eight of them" were any good. She had her hopes up that her mother "might get it right for once". I know her mother, and without being horrible she is not exactly the most 'well-off'. Yet still, the child is not satisfied and claims to b offended by it. As someone just exiting my teenaged years I wonder about my generation sometimes...

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Yep, cable news is going the way of the dinosaur. With social media it's often times hours before a story makes it to the news. Accuracy is a fair criticism but you're still going to at least get some of the details before a formal report is released. Twitter is news on steroids.

17. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

I feel that in this day in age, there are people why have nothing else to do but get offended at everything. It's like they actively seek out things that they can then say they were offended by it.

Pathetic. Grow up, find something productive to do.

18. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

OMG, if I keep reading these offensive post I will need to go away into my safe space...............

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Most so-called artists nowadays are not really artists. So I'm wondering, who's really pissed? Any REAL artist would have the open mindness to understand the shirt's message.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Yeah. It's just a silly t-shirt, but our society increasingly tries to build a dichotomy between the arts and STEM subjects. It's weird because if we look at the notes of Issac Newton or Charles Darwin, we see both art and science melded together. Art was a way of understanding perspective and relationships, weight and the Golden Ratio. And, science was a way to make better art, though direct chemistry to make paints, to understanding the path of light to make photography work.

In reality, the arts and sciences are reliant on each other, but our society want to drive a wedge between them. The t-shirt is just one little skirmish.

And, the OP reminded me of the real trouble—the t-shirt shouldn't say artist, but 'beauty queen' and 'reality tv star'.

21. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

The Old Navy marketing team scored a big one here and everyone just played into it. Sort of like the Starbucks "christmas cup twitter massacre".

22. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

As a photographer I get this, understanding the science behind the art of the picture is important, if you want to get the best possible lighting. All I can say is I appreciate partially automatic controls (modes) to assist with this and we can thank science for that. If you take most of today's amateur (D)SLR photographers and gave them a completely manual camera, it would surely be confusing.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Teenagers have always been self centered asses. The only difference is that now this fact is advertised widely across social media, and saved forever, so future generations can judge you poorly.

24. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Thank THOR the interweebs was not yet invented by Al Gore when I was growing up, the crap I got away with...........