This Three Minute Commercial is Too Good for Crappy Product it tries to sell

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Mar 24, 2015.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Taco Bell yesterday unveiled their three minute Routine Republic short film in the hopes of luring people away from eating Egg McMuffins.

I don't know how successful this is going to be as a commercial. But as a work of short film, I found it immensely enjoyable. I personally would love to see more of this 1984ish dystopian hell, where Big Brother has been replaced by the mutant love child of Joseph Stalin and the (Heath Ledger version) Joker, with just a tad of old Ronald McDonald's demon DNA thrown in the mix. I want to know more about the Routine Republic Kommissar, who bears an odd resemblance to Colm Meany (Star Trek TNG's Miles O'Brien.) Leaping (a la Butch and Sundance) into a moat filled with McDonalds Playplace plastic balls? Genius! And any work of art or commerce that blasts The Ramones Blitzkrieg Bop with such evident joy and appreciation can't be all bad.

[​IMG]

Please Hollywood: Make a two hour movie set in this world!

The only let down is, having escaped the grim-looking McDonald gulag, the hero and his female accomplice end up being handed a (presumably Taco Bell) breakfast sandwich that looks surprisingly unappetizing. And virtually indistinguishable from what they (presumably) were trying to escape. Meet the new Breakfast, Same as the old Breakfast?

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A little homage to a bygone Apple commercial, perhaps?

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

What's creppy about eating Taco Bell? Oh, wait :p

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Excellent and extremely well made ad; the historical gags & political puns along with some sharp visual jokes (both to pop culture and dystopian literature) were both very clever and very funny.

Perhaps I am over-analysing this, but it does strike me that there seems to be a bleak ironical coda whereby the 'breakfast' offered to the escapees after their escape resembles awfully closely that which they had been given before their escape.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No. No. It's completely different!

Taco Bell cracks their eggs on the opposite end of where McDonald's cracks theirs.

6. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

If everyone defects, as the ending suggests that they should, would that not become the new routine?

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Somehow, I missed this significant difference….

Exactly. Very clever.

And not just a wonderfully mad take on the old Czechoslovakia/DDR, - or Romania, or Poland - (or even, George Orwell's '1984') but also some wonderful visual gags straight out of one of my all time favourite TV shows, 'The Prisoner'.

I used to study - and teach - the history of communism, so the art, politics, literature, and nuances (not to mention the bleak humour) of that world are all pretty familiar to me. This is very clever, and very well made, and full of subtle homages and sly gags.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Irony is word to describe where to crack.

As to rest, I can think of "Brazil", even the "Lego Movie" has the same shades despite the vivid colors.
    and of course who here can forget

[​IMG]

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, I am not sure I understand any of this. But, each to their own.

My cultural references as a bookish European are probably rather different.

Actually, I don't know the movies 'Brazil' or 'Lego Movie' and had never even heard of them until I read your post; however, I do know political irony, ironical political literature, and the iconography of communism and film noir, so I suppose that everyone takes from whatever political or artistic palette has influenced their own lives when creating something of this sort.

Never mind. It is a very clever piece, made even more subtly subversive (I suspect) by a deeply cynical (or ironical) message embedded at the very end.

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

I'm not one to frequent fast food eateries. Therefore I'm out of touch with the demographics of their customers. I don't often watch TV either, but visiting a friend his kids were glued to the TV, we adults in the adjacent dining room when this commercial came on and the kids reacted so we got up to take a look. From a production standpoint it was somewhat captivating.

I must say however that it reminded me of the generally poor quality of U.S. commercials in general, especially as compared to what I actually enjoy when at home in the UK.

11. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

We are lucky in this part of the country to have a small chain called Taco Time, which is far superior. That other chain continues to exist here only because they advertise so heavily and stay open later.

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I love how people say Starbucks, McDonalds, TacoBell, etc are crap/junk. Yet somehow these same companies are not only still in business they seem to be making lots of money....

Well, more then a few people must disagree because year after year they are still in business.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Everyone's taste is different. I personally find the taco filling at Taco Bell disgusting. Others may think its delicious. That's perfectly fine.

14. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure, and 200,000 people bought Windows ME on its first day.

Also, these businesses rely on an intersection of cost/convenience/ubiquity that allows sales to increase even if the quality remains stagnant or declines.

15. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Argumentum ad populum ...

16. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, but when people found out how bad it was it flopped. Sure people and OEMs still bought copies but the product was a flop. Not so for the companies I mentioned.

Yes you are right, but if the quality is that bad or is in decline these companies should eventually lose their customer base. That doesn't appear to be happening.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I agree that if the product fell below a certain threshold, then it wouldn't matter how late they were open or how cleverly they made their commercials.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly. That is the key point - convenience, plus cost, plus ubiquity on the 'plus' side. To that, I'd add inertia and familiarity. Most people will stick with what they are used to as long as it works to a certain extent. Change won't come about unless the product in question becomes atrociously bad, or budgets increase hugely to improve things, or continued use has actually cost them.

Yes, agreed, and well said.

But here, inertia and familiarity (along with cost of change, - as opposed to the cost of 'not changing') - convenience, and ubiquity all combine and conspire to ensure that these systems remain unchanged; it is easier for everyone that way.

But that threshold is actually pretty low, it takes a while for them to reach it, and for their customers to realise that this is where things are; now, granted, it can hit a critical mass of dreadful standards pretty quickly once the acceleration of disaster gets going.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Especially at which end o the egg you are looking at!

For my bookish friend, what end of an egg to crack, or even how, is a vain and meaningless attempt at differentiate from others, possibly born out of Soviet Union trying not to be seen as copycats.

Brazil is an Orwellian style of movie that is funny in its bleakness (and the music is wonderful)

Lego Movie starts with saccharin happiness of a completely controlled "brick" metropolis. I did not like the movie at all (terrible, actually), but it did have some very clever social satire and a view from a child's perspective.
    Every parent should see for it does have value.

20. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

What a great ad, still not keen on Taco Bell though. Still props to them for trying something different. :D

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

This is why I only eat home cooking. It's cheaper and more convenient (no need to put on pants:p). The biggest benefit is the product improves year to year as the Missus' cooking skills improves. Good thing I followed Pop's advice about women: "Looks fade, personalities change, good cooking only gets better.":cool:

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've not seen the commercial but have always loved Taco Bell's bean burritos! :D

23. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure, but the Microsoft brand got 200,000 people to shell out real money for a product sight unseen, indicating the strength of branding over quality.

It's an argument against the idea that because something is popular, it must be good.

Well, keep in mind that McDonalds has lost market share and same-store sales have been declining for years. Starbucks has powered through largely by expansion and Taco Bell desperately needs to find new products to buoy sales.

They're not bad companies per se, but compared to Chipotle they're losing relevance even if they remain powerful in the marketplace for another decade.

Extend your argument to music or literature? Would you argue that "Twilight" is must be good because it's widely read and was the basis for four blockbuster movies?

Or, can we accept that x number of Americans have crappy taste?

----------

Overpriced. Overcooked. Tastes like salt and the tears of pinto beans.

24. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

When they ran the set of commercials depicting people driving up late at night and seemingly quite relaxed, I figured they understood their market. Now I'm not so sure. For a second I thought it was going to spoof Batman.