Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

areamike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Long time hater, first time owner here.

So I am sitting here listening to a song on my brand new iPhone4s(don't laugh, it was a free work phone). I set the phone down on a blanket and it muffled the sound. I picked it up and started to inspect it and noticed if I put my finger over one of the "speaker" holes on the bottom, you could barely hear the sound. My fist inclination, "what a piece of crap phone". I was right about them the whole time...well oh boy. Talk about eating crow.

I have to admit, I did a google search for "iphone 4s only plays music out of one speaker" and found this topic at the top of the search list and clicked on it. The rest is history and here I am.
-> https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/955377/

P.S. I hope this isn't too off-discussion not to warrant me starting a new topic. I just had to share my adventure. Hope it gives someone at least a chuckle.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Out of hundreds of people starting threads about this issue you are the first one I've ever seen who figured out how to use Google first.

So I'll say it: I'm impressed. I've been waiting years for this to happen.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Congrats on searching and finding the answer. Guess we are all a little tired of answering the one speaker question.....

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
Are you telling me people use phone speakers for anything other than speaker phone mode? I keep hearing people complain about the Note 4's speaker too, assumed they were just annoyed about it for speaker phone mode since it's on the back and will probably be sitting on a table.

I'm completely lost on what the use case is where you try to use that speaker to play music. If anyone says "can't afford headphones/speakers," I will point to their $650 pocket computer (which comes with headphones!).

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Thanks op.. Now I know that if you block a speaker, audio will not work. I feel so enlightened :rolleyes:

areamike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
So OP, are you still a hater?
Actually, quite the opposite. I am finding this phone somewhat easier to "learn" than my first Android Smart phone was.

And to be honest, I am due for a smart phone upgrade for my personal phone and after having such a great experience so far with this iPhone4, I am considering upgrading my current Android to the new iPhone 6.

We'll see though. 200 dollars is a lot for me to justify paying to change phones when the one I own now works with no problems.

Are you telling me people use phone speakers for anything other than speaker phone mode? I keep hearing people complain about the Note 4's speaker too, assumed they were just annoyed about it for speaker phone mode since it's on the back and will probably be sitting on a table.

I'm completely lost on what the use case is where you try to use that speaker to play music. If anyone says "can't afford headphones/speakers," I will point to their $650 pocket computer (which comes with headphones!).
I use my phone's external speaker for listening to music while in the shower all the time. It sounds great in the bathroom. I just lay it on the sink, start the music and hop in the shower and enjoy. My kids and Wife do the same. However, they sometimes use our Bluetooth water resistant speaker too. I just use my phone.

Jws

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2013
AR
I use my phone's external speaker for listening to music while in the shower all the time. It sounds great in the bathroom. I just lay it on the sink, start the music and hop in the shower and enjoy. My kids and Wife do the same. However, they sometimes use our Bluetooth water resistant speaker too. I just use my phone.

Hah, I do the same thing! I thought about getting a speaker for the shower, but my phone is loud enough that it isn't really needed.

Anyway, the iPhone 6 only has the one speaker grill, so it shouldn't be as confusing to new owners as it used to be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.