This Year, Earth Day Is On Nov. 6

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigHonkingDeal, Apr 22, 2018.

1. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/opinion-stinnett-earth-day-election_us_5ada2fefe4b01c279db4349b

As our outgoing Governor likes to say "Let's get to work!" :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What’s sad is that Hilary Clinton would likely have actually made substantial progress on climate change. It’s the area she’s the most liberal.

3. BigHonkingDeal thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

It's sad to watch the republican party, just like the Taliban, turning a blind eye to sience & reason... I hope we will hold them accountable after Trump leaves the building.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

For sure, but to do that we need to make more of an effort to accept legitimate conservative concerns.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yeah I found Trump's tolerance of the anti-science crowd surprising at first. I mean he went to school and even b-school where --as far as I know-- they don't teach that evidence-based thinking is optional.

Whoever thinks evidence can be stuck behind the old yearbooks probably comes up with biz plans based on pie in sky instead of "let's sell a slice of pie for 20c off if you buy 2 burgers."

But that's Trump, he's the pie in sky guy. He buys and sells the snake oil. It does still surprise me. His narcissism and drive to catch the headlines seem to distort his focus and lessen his ability to keep to a plan or take on board the counsel that others provide for him.

Some of his inner circle certainly do pitch their own agendas, and he's malleable enough so he's halfway good with that until he sees it play back on Fox; it registers only then that maybe that's not where he meant to go. He's their house mark until he decides he's not and so undercuts a staffer or just tweets a hissy fit.

Like when Pruitt talks, all Trump hears is that obstacles to conduct of business are going away. I'm not sure at the time it registers with Trump that some of the alleged obstacles to higher profit margins are what make our air and water clean enough to breathe and drink as opposed to when I was a kid . Back then flying into LA was landing in a dark brown bowl, and Rust Belt rivers occasionally caught fire from the stuff that was spilled or dumped in them.

Pruitt doesn't bore The Don with details like by the way I told the power companies they can dump their ash wherever is convenient for them. He says "I managed to get rid of burdensome regulations on our providers of electricity across the nation!" and Trump says attaboy you da man.

Then without irony Trump tweets stuff like "everyone likes clean air and we can have that with natural gas!" ignoring the coal ash dumping resumption by plants that still use coal, while also pitching for gas versus the coal he promised he'd have people mining again. But does Trump know Scott Pruitt and Rick Perry figure to export natural gas for a better profit?

Details, details. Evidence ignored because it's ugly to look at the end results of the chaotic processes that underlie his pie in sky pronouncements. It's not that some of his original energy plan summary had only bad ideas in it. Sure sounded like a planned migration to renewables. It's that what's getting rolled out is whatever can generate bigger profits in the next quarter and hang all that stuff about cleaning up coal. Sell the gas to Morocco, they'll pay a nice price.