Those of us who said they wouldn't buy a "4S"....DID YOU?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theperipheral, Oct 7, 2011.

?

Did you buy it even though you told yourself you wouldn't?

1. Yes

181 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. No

102 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. theperipheral macrumors 6502

I know there are a lot of people (me included) who said they wouldn't buy a 4S device before anything was announced. I'm just curious as to how many people actually DID buy it even though they promised themselves they wouldn't.

I'm trying to get a number on this so I'm including a poll. Anybody obviously can vote, but this is more directed toward those people who didn't want a 4S.

2. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

3. lilj4425 macrumors 6502a

4. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No.
    Couldn't really afford it (just bought the best 50" 3D plasma money can buy for £2k!) and am just going to wait for the iP6.

5. Deako macrumors 6502

I told myself id look for another cheap iPhone 4 and hold out for 5/6. However, i ordered 2x for myself and wife as soon as i was able to this morning. :D

6. Rafterman macrumors 68000

You forgot option 3 - I never said I wouldn't buy a 4S :D

7. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Yes, but I did keep true to my word.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S II as I said I would. After I realized I couldn't do it.. I took it and back and pre-ordered a 4S.

8. theperipheral thread starter macrumors 6502

Cuz, the only thing that is actually going to make a difference to most people is Siri. The speed, at least according to most videos I've seen of the iPads, is going to be only seconds difference for things, so that's not a big deal. The picture quality is going to be very similar. The video quality might be a bit more detailed, but not a big deal to most people, either.

All in all, it's pretty much the same phone with Siri on it.

I only got it because I was bored with black and I want to use Siri and I had the money, so might as well.

----------

Refer to title of thread....

----------

Why couldn't you do it?

9. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

This.

10. groupersandwich macrumors 6502

I was hoping for LTE and a larger screen. I'll just wait until the next iphone, even if it is another year, and see what happens. I might pick up a used iphone 4 though since the prices locally seemed to have dipped below $300 and try it out for awhile. I'm currently on a Droid X and am looking to switch platforms when it offers what I'm looking for. So, the 4S is a non-player for me.

11. macbd macrumors regular

Yes, because I found out I could sell my iPhone 4 for a price greater than the 4S is costing me, and I think Siri (if it works) will help me quite a bit.

12. lorax3 macrumors regular

lorax3

I was unimpressed at the keynote. As much as I hate to admit it, I think the events the next day made me decide to get one. I had to pay the premium, but for gods sake I teared up when a complete stranger passed away. That means something to me, and I paid that premium to have the new technology that he was working on.

Excited for my 32GB White 4S.

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Thank you for a good laugh. Nice.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Because if you have the 4 it is completely pointless spending so much on a spec bump.

15. Qoo macrumors 6502

NO

I said i won't buy the 4S i will wait for the 5 :D

16. fjrabon macrumors regular

Well, I think that's only true for the time being. It's similar to how when the iPhone 4 first came out, it was hard to notice a speed difference with most apps, but then when developers started leveraging the 4's increased horsepower, the differences slowly became more and more obvious.

I think you'll see the same thing here, in a few months you'll start seeing a lot of games that simply can't properly run on the iPhone 4.

Also, I think that the increase in horsepower will totally transform the camera and video, almost even more so than the spec bump in the camera did. The biggest thing that hurts the iPhone 4 and 3GS's cameras in my opinion isn't the image quality, it's the slowness of them. It takes several seconds to open the camera app, then it takes a few seconds between each picture. This will more or less be instantaneous on the 4S. WHich will drastically make taking pictures with it more enjoyable. You're much more likely to actually capture the moment you wanted instead of missing it by 5-6 seconds.

I also think you'll see the increase in processor speed and HPSA+ lead to more online gaming with the iPhone. There's some now, but I expect we'll see that exponentially increase, as AT&T customers will be able to game effectively even if not on wifi.

17. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

C'mon now thats just silly talk

The Iphone 4 will work great for a good time to come yet...yes the 4s is faster but i doubt it will be enough to justify paying so much more for it.

without the siri it would be pointless to even to consider upgrading but even then that will get old fast and people will stop using it.

don't get me wrong amazing phone to have..IF you don't have the 4.

18. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Honestly, the Galaxy S II was a great phone IMO. I picked up android quickly and enjoyed it. There were a few pluses on that phone over iOS. The voice to text for one in most every app was amazing and the google maps was incredible and free. Customization on appearance and widgets comparable to dashboard in osx. The keyboard takes a little getting use to. iOS wins there, but I like how it learns your words and gives suggestions above. It was nice to be able to use Flash. It had nothing to do with the phone or OS. Another plus was access. When I need to transfer an SSH key or something to the phone I could just plug it in as a USB port and drag it over rather then having to email or transmit certain data to iPhone over the net, etc..

As much as it sounds like a line. It just came down to me "being a Mac." All my home and work computer equipment is Mac. I have an iPad 2, Apple TV2, etc.. To take full advantage of Android I just realized I'd have to stray too much from my normal process (syncing data, managing media / content). Plus factoring in that we're a 4 iOS device home. It wasn't really cost effective to have to purchases separate instances of some programs for a different OS. As much as I liked it I just didn't feel a bigger screen and a few nice options was worth me changing my routine.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Yes. I did. My brother nudged me towards it. It's the iPhone that came out the day b4 Steve's death. It's a piece of history in the making...at least thats my rationalization. That and the cost will be offset by the sale of my current iP4 anyway :p

20. jp700p macrumors regular

Grrrrrrrrrr............ yes............. now shut up and leave me alone.

21. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

I bought a Galaxy SII on Tuesday and took it back on Wednesday. I pre-ordered a white iPhone 4S this morning. As much as I really WANT to have a larger screen, Android just doesn't do it for me. I've tried it several times but always come back to iPhone.

The vibrance of the colors on the GSII screen were nice when looking at icons, but pictures didn't look very good compared to the iPhone.

Also, I'm a Mac user and it is just much easier for me using the iPhone. So, I decided to stick with iPhone and get the 4S since I want to switch to Verizon anyway. Android is nice, but for someone like me who uses a Mac, the products in the Apple ecosystem just work better together.

22. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

23. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

I wasn't going to, but now that there is an unlocked option coming in Nov., I will.

24. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

25. OlgaJ macrumors 6502

No, not interested at all. The I4 does more than I need. I also skipped the 3GS and was never tempted to buy it.