Those of you buying new macbooks, is it because your old macbook is outdated?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CP123, Jan 8, 2009.

1. CP123 macrumors regular

I have a blackbook that I bought in May 08. I see alot of people who have relatively new macbooks (1-2 years) buying the new macbooks. Is it because you feel your old macbook is outdated and underperforms or do you just want what's new?

I'm not going to lie, everytime I go in the Apple Store and look at the new macbooks, I get an itch to get rid of my blackbook. However, there's nothing wrong with mine. It really works well.

Just wondering. :rolleyes:

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

At the end of the day, thats all that matters!
    Sure its cool to have the newest nicest thing but if your machine suits your needs then there really is no reason to upgrade.
    I just happened to decided to buy a MacBook right as the new ones were launched.

3. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I didn't replace an old macbook with a new one. so, it's not really replacing anything. and while most americans kind of want the newest and best all, the time, i feel like mac/apple people are like this to a greater degree than your average Joe.... Not that there's anything wrong with that!

4. goldfronts macrumors member

I sold my white Macbook on eBay in November and bought an aluminum Macbook a few days later. There was nothing at all wrong with the white Macbook - in fact I loved it. It just didn't feel right to me. I was always afraid to carry it around and risk cracking it. I never have any of those worries with the aluminum Macbook.

5. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I'm guilty as charged. i sold my 7 month old macbook for a new aluminum one just because i absolutely HAD to have it.....and i still dont regret it, i love this thing!!

6. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

i simply wanted my oldish blackbook to be aluminum. i love the feel and durability of my MBP, and i wanted that in a more portable and affordable way. thats why i updated to the aluminum macbook.

7. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I like my BlackBook.

Call me mad but I do. And I really do not like the trackpad on the new AluBooks. Theres just something odd about it. So hopefully this BlackBook will keep on going til the end of days. Who knows, it might... my PowerMac 6200 still plays Doom as well as it did new after all these years!

8. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

the trackpad is AWESOME. once you use it, its hard to go back to the old macbook trackpad. the multi touch is great, i havent use the back or forward buttons in safari since i got this thing

9. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I only had my old MB for 10 months and I upgraded, I won £1000 worth of vouchers so I just had to upgrade, gave me old MB to me father for christmas and he's chuffed to bits with it!!!

On the trackpad subject, its true, the pad is amazing compared to the older MB, which in turn was amazing compared to any pc laptop pad i've ever used, infact the Alu TP is the first one ive ever got on with having touch to tap enabled!!

10. Camoischaos macrumors member

I love my whitebook ill use this till it dies.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i cant justify spending the money to hae the latest and greatest

12. gog macrumors regular

I buy a new one every year. Because:
    a) its amazing what a good price you can get for selling your old one
    b) i use mine constantly and its just worth it having a new one.

13. penfool macrumors newbie

My new alu mac was my first mac and i've come from a very old dell c400 that was slowly dying (20gb hardrive not really enough these days)

I expect to keep my macbook for ages and not upgrade for at least 2-4 years.

That said if next year Apple brought out a new macbook that was miles ahead of the current one's i'd be tempted to see how much i could get for mine on ebay and upgrade.

14. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

CP123 - I'm in the same boat, I want a new alu just b/c it's a lot diff and the new hotness, but in the end, I don't need it. My blackbook does MOST of what I want, the only thing is the video card blows, any video play gets the fan going and sucking of battery life. I mostly want a new MB b/c of the nVidia cards, I want to play some newer PC games, like Left 4 Dead or Fallout 3 on the PC rather than on my PS3/Xbox

15. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I got my first Mac system (Alu MB) in October and plan to keep this baby till at least 3 years (until my three year Applecare runs out).

16. CP123 thread starter macrumors regular

What I realize is that I have to stay out of the Apple Store. If I don't go in there, then I'm cool. Once I go in the store, I want to trade in my laptop, my iMac, etc. They sure do a good job of showcasing their products.

17. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

I was going to buy Applecare when my BlackBook reaches it's first birthday (April), but the cost of that plus the eBay value of the BlackBook is around £800, so I could almost buy a new MacBook for that...

Apple knows how to price its products!

18. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I was starting to check around about getting a MacBook and was looking at the Black MacBook when I saw the rumors that there was going to be an update. I waited a few months until the new Aluminum MacBooks were announced and picked one up. My timing worked out, otherwise I would have a Black MacBook one now which I probably would have kept for a while before updating.

19. MaskingTape macrumors regular

I wasn't going to upgrade but the old GMA950 in the old Macbook was just too slow now a days. So I sold my old one for what I thought was a good price and picked up a new 2.4 Macbook. Now I'm in debt! lol But I love this thing. Built so solid and I LOVE the new trackpad.

20. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

dammit, all this talk of reselling your macbook for the new one.. sigh lol makes me very curious what I could get for my blackbook

if one were to resell, what's the best way? I'm thinking Craigslist since there's no fees etc to worry about. hmmm stupid apple. =D

21. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I still have my Rev A white macbook and its going great, but I am probably going to upgrade over summer when they do the free iPod promotion and my state has a tax free holiday. It also depends on if there are any rumors about them upgrading to Nehalem in the next few months.

The main reasons I want to upgrade are the new nVidia chipset and the Aluminium. I have had quite a few little cracks in my macbook, but thats to be expected when you carry a computer around almost everyday for 3 years :rolleyes:

22. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I got a whitebook about a 1-2 months before the new ones came out. My wife had a laptop with vista and she hated it. We joked that I could have the new Macbook if she can have my old one, and after she really wanted my whitebook, I got a new macboook.
    Now we both have Macbooks and are very happy!!

23. CP123 thread starter macrumors regular

Lucky you. My wife wants to replace her old dell laptop, with a new macbook also. But she sure doesn't want my blackbook. Not after looking at the new alum macbooks. :(

24. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have a good wife.. she puts up with me. She was mad when I got my whitebook that I didn't restart it 3-4 times a night like her Vista laptop, so it was a win win for the both of us.

25. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454