Those of you getting/with an iPad do you also have an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SydneyJunkie, Mar 6, 2011.

1. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

Have an IP4 getting the iPad 2 but its just going to feel real weird and "lazy" of apple to implement the same exact software UI on both devices aside from the few nicks here and there. That is why Ive been entertaining the idea of possibly getting a Xoom but Im not sure. I guess I have a couple of days too decide:cool:

edit: as a sidenote, can anyone in short just explain how my purchased apps from an iPhone carry over to an iPad?

2. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Lazy? I see it as smart. Keep all thing simple and similar yet different. I use my iPad differently and have maybe 3 apps on both.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

"Lazy" makes things easier. Stevey wants everyone from a 3 year old to great granny to be able to use iDevices.

4. ecschwarz macrumors 6502a

ecschwarz

I have both an iPhone 4 and an iPad and they work pretty well together. I found that I quit trying to make my iPhone do more things (IMing and web browsing while on the couch) and instead the iPad gets most of my attention throughout the day. My iPhone is now my go-to device while out and about, for GPS, and for streaming media (the ESPN Radio app and MLB At Bat), but I use my iPad for web browsing, consuming all sorts of media, and even doing some writing.

While the interface may be the same, the difference in screen size and the way various app developers have decided to take advantage of the extra screen real estate makes it a completely different experience. In some ways, my iPad has taken over many things that my computer does more than my iPhone.

5. boodyup macrumors member

It's not laziness esp. considering that OS X Lion will be utilizing functionality that looks like the iOS.

6. zenio macrumors 6502

I have both, since they are just different enough to be useful. However of all the Apple laptops, desktops, and other gear I have, the iPad is the least useful. It's more of a toy than a serious _needed_ device.

That's my take on it.

For others with light needs I'm sure it's of greater importance to them. Especially those that have not been with Apple for all the years I have.

7. epi117 macrumors 6502

You share apps for free
    You can share iphone connection for running ipad when far from wifi connection
    = Ilove

8. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

It's just not the same experience. At first I kind of thought the same way, but think about it, would you want to browse around on your iPhone for hours or would you be more comfortable using a 9 inch screen? Not to mention some apps created for iPad like iWorks which you can't use on the iPhone.

9. EnialusMeliamne macrumors member

I have both (now), and can heartily say both have an active place in my lifestyle. IPad tends to be my news/reading/dayplanner, while my iPhone tends to augment all of those plus throwing in shopping lists, restaurant apps, and other useful to me apps. iPad gets high marks from me for Evernote, things, Dropbox and other like apps that are better left to larger screens (though I do have their iPhone equivalents loaded as well).

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Lazy? It's no different from the same OS X working on desktops and notebooks. There are small changes to the OS, but nothing really huge. You can have five dock items and the icons are in rows of five as well. The Safari app also must tell servers it's not a "mobile" browser because it loads full websites instead of an alternate mobile version.

Your apps sync on both devices. They'll open much smaller at first on an iPad if they're not meant for both devices, but you can hit a "2x" button that doubles the size. Many apps are made for both, others have their own iPad version.

If you think implementing an iPhone on a larger screen isn't much of a change, just use one. I'm a huge fan of the Macworld app, and I can't wait to get my own so I can read all of these Kindle books.

11. iMattcotv macrumors 6502

iMattcotv

I also have an iPhone 4 and will be getting the iPad 2 (WiFi only)

Ill tether via MyWi if I need to tether my iPhones 3G to my iPad while im away from a local WiFi spot.

12. maflynn, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You realize, by being "lazy" thy achieved something with the iPad that Microsoft was unable to do for years. A successful tablet.

No, it was no lazy but a stroke of genius and its paid off admirably

As for purchasing apps, there's the app store on the iPad or purchasing them on iTunes on your mac/pc.

13. benji888 macrumors 65816

benji888

they will complement each other... in any case, as far as apps:

in iTunes you will see 3 categories of apps (I'm leaving out iPod touch):

1) iPhone apps
    2) iPhone & iPad apps (when app shopping, a + sign indicates one app for both devices)
    3) iPad apps

the first time you connect your iPad iTunes will transfer all apps in the first two categories to the iPad that are compatible.

whenever you download new apps, whether that be on one of your devices or through iTunes, the next time you sync either device, iTunes will add that app to the other device, if it is compatible.

in other words, you'll have to do some manual managing of apps or you will have more duplicates than you'll use...eventually you can needle out which ones you want on the bigger screen and which ones you want with you wherever you go.

also of note: category 1) iPhone apps are run in a window that is iPhone sized or doubled (which doesn't look great, larger pixels, but almost fills the screen). While they are compatible, and you are not charged again, they are rarely useful on the iPad, some apps you may find yourself purchasing the additional iPad version of that app.

nice thing is, as long as you sync regularly, your contacts and calendars will be up to date on all your devices (iPhone, iPad and PC/Mac) (as long as you have it set that way in iTunes) :)

Of course, this is assuming you will be using your one iTunes account. If you set up the iPad on a different iTunes account, then all this is bunk.

14. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i have an iPhone 4 and an ipad and i pan on getting iPad 2. i don't find it counterintuitive. rather it works just fine, depending what i'm doing id rather use one or the other.

15. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I have an iPhone 4 and an iPad, and will be getting the new iPad 2. Couldn't be happier with Apple products these days.

I'm so glad we're not living in the :apple: 90's anymore! :p

16. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

I use an Android for my phone..

Happy to have both OS's to play with.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

You call it "lazy," I call it efficient. But I see your point if all you do is play Angry Birds. But some of us actually use the iPad as a work tool.

18. Saberj macrumors regular

I have a Sprint Hero for my phone, just because I get such a great deal from Sprint due to my employer's discount. However, I do have an iPod and an iPad. So there is that. I enjoy the interactivity that having both allows. But to be honest, having an iPad makes it to where I never want to use the iPod for anything other than music. But I suppose it's nice that I can share apps if I need to.

19. rspec7 macrumors member

Viewing a webpage, PDF file, etc. from an iPad is a way better experience than on an iPhone or Xoom because of the size and the screen ratio.

I also have an iPhone 4 and checked out the Xoom at the Verizon store. iPad excels at viewing docs. If this is important to you, go try it and see.

20. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

I have both, different devices for different purposes.

21. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

This

22. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

Yep

Have the first iPad and iPhone 3G (no incentive to get an iPhone4)

23. AJsAWiz macrumors 68030

AJsAWiz

iPhone apps will work on iPad

Will install on the iPad (once you select the apps) when you sync. I have some apps on the iPad only, some on the iPhone only and some on both devices. Keep in mind that, unless it's a universal or iPad only app, you will need to expand it 2X to fill the iPad screen. Some deterioration in resolution may occur.

24. Rodvette macrumors regular

I swear, I could put a white wall behind you 75% of you and watch you talk and I would feel like im watching one of apple's commercials/promo....lmao xD