Those of you returning/exchanging scuffed IP5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by johndallas999, Oct 1, 2012.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Are you taking them to the Apple store and just saying it came that way and you want a new one? How is Apple able to verify if it was shipped that way or was damaged by the consumer or do they not care? Just curious if they are being cool about it or are acting like you're an overly OCD person.

2. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would say at this point, the problem is well known among Apple staff.

But, when I took mine in, I brought everything... the box, the cables, and the unactivated phone still IN the box with the front and back plastic covers still on it, to show that I hadn't even used it, and that it's spent maybe 30 seconds out of the box while I noticed the scuffs.

I made it a point to be courteous and calm, and point out that I didn't want to be "that guy" that goes through a dozen exchanges over the tiniest little things. But that if I had to make do with a damaged iPhone, I would at least like the damage to be my fault.

The genius I spoke to was very accommodating about it, asked no questions. He did try to buff out the scuffs, and when that clearly didn't solve the problem, he went right for a replacement.

3. thaghost macrumors 6502

I exchanged mine no problem at the Apple store in Oak Brook, IL. I told him about the scuff, he took a look at it then ordered me a replacement. Took about 3 days.