Those of you that crawled back to the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cod3rror, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Like birds on their bellies, what was it that you didn't like in other phones, I'm especially interested in Galaxy S, looks like a nice phone but there are so many people who've bought it, used for a week or two and went back to the iPhone...

2. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

Its the same thing when a 5 year old kid says thats irs going to move out. It can manage an hour ot two on its own but returs home knowing that it made a big mistake.

3. wingsabr, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I paid an ETF to try out a droid (2x) after WWDC in 2010. I grew tired of the iOS look and feel and android seemed new and exciting. After about two months that wore off and I began to miss my iPhone. In Sept I bought an iPod touch and eventually got to a point where I only used my droid as a hotspot for the iPod. By Nov/Dec I just grew to a point of severe dislike of the OS and the droid...to a point where I wouldn't even carry my phone around. I just left it stuck in the couch for a few days. Decided to put them on eBay along with my iPad and got two iPhone 4's w/ AT&T.

Suffice it to say that this was an expensive experiment and one that I will not be doing again. The 2-3 things that android does well (voice controls, google navigation, gtalk) don't even begin to outweigh what iOS does well (iTunes, app store, retina, touchscreen sensitivity, and ease of use just to name a few).

Try if you must, but don't sell your iDevice to pay for it or you might (read as will) regret it. I love my iPhone and the wifey and I are glad to have them back.

4. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm at that point. I had a iPhone 3G, 3Gs, and upgraded to the iPhone 4 at launch. After getting fed up with Apple and AT&T with the whole antenna issue, I decided to jump ship and went to Verizon and the Droid X. I thought I was in heaven for the first couple of months. The freedom to customize and the superb notifications on Android are what I really liked.

However, it's now been about 6 months and I miss my iPhone a great deal! Sure, you can do a lot more on Android, but at the great expense of battery life and stability. I have to reboot my phone pretty often, and there are times when the phone just doesn't work right (glitches, lockups, stuttering, etc). And with the advent of Airplay and the whole Apple ecosystem, I have decided to go back.

I'm going to buy an iPhone 4 off-contract on Verizon and then wait to see what happens this summer. If Verizon doesn't get the iPhone 5, then I'll just hang with the 4 until next year. If Verizon does get the iPhone 5, I'll be upgrade eligible (I'm on a 1-year contract with my Droid X) and will just sell the iPhone 4.

5. mpossoff macrumors 68020

How much can you get for a CDMA iPhone? I know I can get $450-$500 for my gsm iPhone.

6. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

Who knows? It's not even out yet! ;) But if the iPhone 5 is a worthy upgrade, then I won't really care because I'll be doing it no matter what. I normally take the easy way out... for example, I just sold older 3GS for $150 to Gazelle.com and will be putting that towards the purchase of the iPhone 4. Sure, I could have gotten more if I took the time to Jailbreak and sell it on Ebay. But I'd rather not mess with it.

7. machacker macrumors regular

Not going to lie. I had a 3g, then a 3gs, and then I upgraded to the iPhone 4. I loved it. It was heaven. But with the antenna, the proximity sensor, and AT&T dropping all my calls, I was fed up. I dropped AT&T and I moved to verizon to try my luck with Android, because my friends got some, and I really wanted to try those things.

At first. The freedom was amazing. Not having big brother looking over my shoulder, not being tied to iTunes...all the things that Apple didn't let me do, I did. And I loved it.

But then things started to turn sour after about 2 months. My droid incredible stopped turning on. Got a replacement after arguing with the Verizon store. 2 days later, that one broke as well. As did 3 more that I received. Finally I got angry and sold my Droid Incredible for a Droid X. Liked that, but after a few weeks, had some of the same issues.

Thankfully I held out. I wanted to give Verizon a chance to get the iPhone. I didn't want AT&T's service again, but I needed my iPhone. Thankfully, I waited long enough and I'll be getting one in the coming weeks. :D

So far for my droid experiment.

8. foodle macrumors 6502

Yes, been growing a bit bored with my 3GS lately as well. iPhone fatigue, I suppose. However, just spend some time on Android forums and you'll realize the the iOS platform still has quite a stability advantage over Android.

For example, Google just got around to patching an SMS bug that sometimes sent your text to the wrong contact. If this happened on iPhone, people would be burning Steve Jobs in effigy on every street corner. For Android, it's just a routine bug. And bear in mind that this is a bug that's been around for a while, and not every phone has the patch, since non-Nexus phones have to wait for the specific manufacturer to roll out the updates (no centralized updates from Google). Despite what the Android fanboys say, fragmentation is a genuine and serious problem.

If you root (jailbreak) your phone, you can run the latest Google Android build, but stability is not assured. Don't know about everyone else, but I rely on my phone too much to compromise its stability for a few whiz-bang features and higher numbers on a spec sheet ("Sorry can't dial 911 right now, my phone crashed. It'll just take a sec for it to reboot ...").

My cure for iPhone fatigue:
    1) Figure out what about Android is interesting to you
    2) Look for new iOS apps that do similar things
    3) If that still doesn't work, try out an Android phone, but make sure you can return it ...

Travisimo, how's the Droid X? I've been thinking about the 4.3" screen phones lately (X and EVO) ...

9. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

In August I switched over to a Droid X after having the 2G, 3G, and 3GS. At first it was great, was in love with the customization and giant screen and notifications. Around October I started realizing I made a mistake and was really starting to get annoyed by the giant size, plasticy feel, slow internet, crashing, stuttering os, and constant reboots. By November I bought the new iPod touch to hold me over and started using the Droid X as a hot spot and to make phone calls. Few weeks ago I finally had enough and sold the Droid X to cover most of my etf and am happy again.

10. JASApplications macrumors 65816

I'm not a fanboy but I wouldn't even contemplate moving away from the iPhone. It doesn't everything I need it to do and I love it! :) :apple:

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me, there are things I like about android and things I like about iOS

For android, there notification system is much better then iOS. I like the idea of full unfettered multitasking and before some of the fanboys mention battery life. My Droid x battery life is about the same as my wife's iPhone 4.

Another plus is the ability to customize nearly every aspect of android to the point of loading a custom rom.

What I don't like about android, their email client is worse, their marketplace is worse in terms of searching. Yeah, google the search engine people has poor searching.

Currently with Motorola, I'm dealing with a company that is rather slow in pushing out updates. I got spoiled I guess with the Nexus One where I got updates as soon as google released it.

I'm going back to iOS this summer, actually going back to AT&T, once my VZW contract ends because my company is cutting off all access to android based products. They do not support the same level of encrypted group policies as iOS or blackberry so I need to use one of those, so its the iPhone

12. APPLENEWBIE, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

APPLENEWBIE macrumors 6502a

Since I am a Verizon customer, I have never had an iPhone. I do however have experience with iOS with my iPad. I purchased a version 1 droid phone from Verizon when they first came out. After two defective units, the third one seems to be a pretty reliable solid machine. I agree with the above posts and that the droid/android system does allow a good deal of freedom for the sophisticated user. When I first started using it, I began to feel that Apple's walled garden approach seems sort of quaint. However, while the android it is generally a good phone, it is a bit fiddly. I can see that non-tech types could easily get lost in all the options and menus below the surface. Android feels a bit like having to use Linux after using Windows or OS X. it works, but it can be complicated.

I have had some instances of the phone locking up or refusing to end calls, and a few instances of butt dialing that I could not explain.

While other people have had very good luck getting it to sync to iTunes, I never did reliably. Two features that I will miss on the android are voice to text which is extremely helpful, especially for messaging, and built-in wireless updates for podcasts. However, I have to say that both of the podcast apps for android that I tried were very confusing in terms of user experience.

other than the above, there is little about the android system that seems superior to me over the iPhone's iOS system from an everyday user standpoint.

I do plan on purchasing a Verizon iPhone within the first couple of weeks, after I read some reviews. I am looking forward to the straightforward, excellent user experience of the Apple product.

13. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

[​IMG]

14. RagnarokRed macrumors member

Brannigan's post is like Brannigan's love: hard and fast

15. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

The Droid X is a very nice Android phone, but it has many quirks. WIFI and Bluetooth have never worked great for me. For example, when I try to stream via Bluetooth over WIFI, oftentimes the Bluetooth will cut out or the WIFI will disconnect (interference perhaps). I have to reboot the phone more often than I would like due to glitches, lockups, and the like. And the overall look of the device does not compare to Apple's industrial design. But it's solid, the screen is very nice (though not nearly as sharp as the Retina display), and I really enjoyed using it for the first couple of months.

If I could do it all over again, I would have stuck with my iPhone 4 last summer. AT&T is actually pretty decent in my area, though there are some dead zones. With Verizon, I have never had a dropped call and there are very few dead zones compared to AT&T where I live, BUT I rarely get anything over 1mbps downloads (and most of the time it hovers around 500kbps indoors). On the other hand, there is a lot less latency on CDMA so it actually makes Internet connected apps snappier in many respects. It's just throughput that suffers, especially if you try to stream video. Web browsing and music streaming are great, however. In fact, when I rooted my Droid X and used the WIFI tethering with my iPad, pages actually seemed to load faster than when using AT&T's data connection directly on the iPad, despite the latter having significantly higher download speeds with the speedtest.net app. So download speeds are not everything - latency plays a significant role!

At any rate, I'm definitely going back to iPhone. I'm convinced that a vast majority of Android users are mainly those on other networks that never had the option of an iPhone. Now we'll see how the iPhone fares compared to Android on Verizon. I don't think it'll be an instant switchover, but I'm definitely convinced that more and more users will migrate to iPhone now.

16. emachine87 macrumors member

emachine87

The grass is not greener on the other side..i am however awaiting the iDroid project to final come to iphone 4, that way i can try Android without having to buy it. Used to have an HTC Touch Vouge that could dual boot to android, always good to have options.

17. Aatos.1 macrumors 6502

I have both an iP4 and Droid X. I enjoy them both.

This thread is nothing more than insecure users banning together to make themselves feel better.

I will say the iPhones so simple my Grandma can use hers easily. Android is more for those who like to learn something new and does not fear reading.

Competition benefits everyone except those who require handholding & validation from their peers.

18. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Couldn't said it better myself.

19. saberahul macrumors 68040

You should be happy you moved to Android and not BlackBerry. You would have thrown it away the very next day. I cannot wait till my contract with vz expires so I can upgrade to the iPhone... BlackBerry OS has got to be the worst ever.

20. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I loved Droid X for the first week. Then the freezes and glitches began and they only got worse over time. My mother's Droid (original) has been acting up on her now. Getting an iPhone 4 day one.

21. foodle macrumors 6502

And this is bad, why? ... oh, right, because it doesn't increase the size of your epeen :rolleyes:

22. foodle macrumors 6502

Boy, the Android fanboys are getting quite defensive these days. Actually this is a pretty balanced discussion of the pros and cons of iOS and Android among people who have tried both.

23. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Went from an iPhone 4 to a Samsung Focus.

Only way I'm going back to the iPhone 4 is if I'm held at gunpoint. And even then I'd think long and hard about it.

It's that good.

24. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Exactly what I was thinking. Insecure would be if I went from an iPhone to android then started bashing the iPhone. I went from iPhone to android, then came back.... There is nothing insecure about that.