Those of you that workout, and run is your smartphone also your MP3 player?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by ChrisTX, Aug 13, 2013.

1. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

So I'm contemplating my next smartphone purchase, and I'm leaning heavily toward the Galaxy Note III. However I'm trying to figure out how to manage such an unwieldy phone in a gym setting, and while running. On the opposite end, I'm also leaning toward the iPhone 5S because of it's size, and portability. Are there any of you that run/workout, that also use a phablet. If so, how do you manage the size?

2. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I have a Note II but don't use it as an mp3 player at the gym. To be fair, I also had iPhones but never used them at the gym either. I prefer a small mp3 player that I can clip to my shirt when I work out. Just didn't like carrying a phone in my pocket or on my arm.

3. onthecouchagain, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Hell naw.

I plan to buy an iPod Shuffle when the refresh comes around. Maybe a nano depending on what they decide to do with the shape this year.

But would never use my smartphone. Too heavy and too bulky for running (I like to run as light as possible).

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I use a 6th gen iPod nano when I work out. Any smartphone I've owned is just too big and bulky.

5. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My iPhone 5 is with me for every run and gym session.

Same for my GS4 now.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No! I use the latest nano. I do use a fitbit flex and sync that with my phone after though.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Let me add that I only use Spotify.

I don't have much locally stored music on my actual phone these days.

Hence, I need a real phone, not just an MP3 Player.

8. sand_man macrumors 6502a

sand_man

Yes.

Use my iPhone 5 at the gym, connected wirelessly via BT to a pair of Jaybird Bluebuds. It's a match made in heaven!!

9. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Yes of course. Beats carrying multiple devices.

10. ChrisTX thread starter macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I currently have a pair of power beats, but have been thinking about getting a pair of Jaybird if I do get a Galaxy Note 3. I have an iPod classic, and have a misplaced iPod nano(long story). I like having my phone on me during long runs, but it looks like I might be investing in another iPod nano!

Thanks for all of the replies, was just curious to see the responses here. Up until the loss of my nano, I've been using my smartphone as a music player. I'm just trying to weigh my options between the size of the GN3, and the portability of the 5S.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

leave the phone at home/gym bag for a few hours and just get something like the ipod nano. Having something as big as a phone attached to your body while working out, depending on what you do, can be really annoying.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Our gym prohibits devices with cameras for security reasons .... no one wants to be caught with a sweaty kate bush !

13. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

I use a 4th gen Shuffle, though I'm thinking of pulling my 2nd gen back out- the 4th gen's buttons are really easy to misclick and pause when you want to fast forward/rewind.

14. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

the 3rd gen was my favorite shuffle

15. ReanimationN macrumors 6502a

ReanimationN

The buttonless one? I never owned one, wasn't it annoying needing to reach up to your headphones and use different button combos to control it?

16. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

It was actually really easy and convenient once you knew how the button scheme worked.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would use a small player like the Shuffle or Nano.

18. TG1 macrumors 6502a

TG1

I don't trust myself enough to carry my smartphone to the gym for working out (or outside when I'm running). For me it's the Sansa Clip or an iPod Shuffle. Something I don't mind beating up a little and can be replaced relatively cheaply.

19. atticus27 macrumors regular

atticus27

Ya I have an S3, only use it for running though (I like using Nike + running app on it). I use an old ipod nano when I do kettlebells. I've tried them w/ an iphone and even that caused an annoyance in my pocket.

20. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I really hope Apple announces a refresh of the iPod lines (specifically the Nano and the Shuffle) soon. I want to pick one up.

Hope it's in there on Sept 10th with the iPhone/iPad announcements.

21. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Same here. The GPS running apps available for the iPhone along with a good case is the perfect combination. I use bluetooth headphones that are sweat proof at both the gym and on runs. At the gym I will leave my phone with my bag and the headphones can change volume, songs, etc. Works within a pretty good distance.

After running 13 miles the phone is still not heavy so those complaining about the weight/bulk need to man up.

I would get a nano or something but the best option for tracking distance is nike+ and that can have a large margin of error if you are not a consistent runner.

22. walie macrumors 6502a

I don't understand this phenomon of "running with music". If you're bored while running, you're not running fast enough.

23. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I need to distract myself whilst I'm doing it so that I can go for longer.

24. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

For me, my 2nd gen nano is always part of my workouts. Even though my nano is old (esp in tech yrs), it still works great and the battery still lasts, at least through my workouts. :)

25. kaielement macrumors 65816

Never use my phone when working out just to big. I use my iPod nano 6th gen because I love the clip. Oh and I use my Up band to track my runs.