Those of you using any brand of "skin" product..

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Blown01NJ, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Blown01NJ macrumors member

Are you using these full body covers as supplements to "real" cases, or as standalone protection? I have an Agent 18 case now with the anti-glare film, but Im worried about the case scratching up my chrome bezel.

Ive been doing a ton of reading about the bodyguardz and the like, and Im thinking about just getting the BG and using it with no case, because the phone really only goes in my pocket, cupholder, or my desk.

Opinions?

2. rml4uk macrumors member

I'm only using a Zagg Invisible Shield. It covers about 90% of the phone (about half of the chrome bezel is not covered by the IS) and it is plenty of protection against everyday wear and tear. I dropped my phone in Wal-Mart the other day and the edge of a shelf just happened to catch where the IS ended so it peeled away a very small amount and put a tiny scratch/dent (about 2mm long) near the bottom of the phone. Even though it bounced around on the floor a little bit, there weren't any other scratches, dents or marks. So basically, the only way your phone will get scratched is if it lands on one of the small areas that aren't covered by the skin. Hope this helps.

3. pocketdoc macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that these are very thin "skins" that provide protection against scratching only.

They will not protect your phone from dents or breaking due to falls.

4. R6Seven macrumors member

i highly recommend the Speck Pixelskin

it might look ugly to some people, but it is one rugged product that doesn't slip from your hand and also provides descent cushion from falls and such. it doesn't come with a screen protector, so i just bought a set of 3 crystal films and applied one. very nice.

only about $30 if i remember correctly

5. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I use a BSE back skin with a Contour Flick case...very snug fit. I used the BSE initially until I got my Flick and still have it on in order to protect the phone from scratches from the case.

The iPhone itself isn't that slippery to begin with...and any of the invisible skins increase the grip of the phone...which isn't really needed.

The BSE skin covers quite well I would say somewhere near 90% of the chrome bezel...of course that all depends on how well you apply it. The BSE skin seems equivalent to the other skins only it doesn't come with the little application kit that the others do and they don't have a written money back guarantee policy or lifetime guarantee to get free replacements. But it's also much cheaper...I paid $11.98 for 2 rear skins. And I've heard of them sending out free replacements if you have issues...from what I've heard their customer service rocks.

I'm using the Power Support Crystal Film for the front of my phone...it feels as if there were no protection on there at all...unlike the other skins (BSE/BG/IS).

6. born4sky macrumors 6502a

born4sky

I'd recommend BodyGuardz it's on my phone, it's nice you can barely tell it's there However they will not protect your phone from dents or breaking due to falls.

7. weezite macrumors regular

Are Best Skins Ever sold in any stores or do you have to order them online?

8. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

Does anyone find these skins tend to collect dust around the edges? I applied mine last night and already it's collecting dust on the edges. Admittedly i didn't wait the 24 hours and started using my phone only about 8 hours later, perhaps this is the problem?

Oh and to the original poster, I tried using my Griffin Wave case but it doesn't fit so well with a skin.

9. Blown01NJ thread starter macrumors member

Yea I got my Agent 18 case to protect against scratches more than drops. I never drop any of my phones. Now Im thinking about the case scratching the bezel and maybe just going with a skin and being extra careful.

10. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I have bodyguardz on the back and PowerSupport Crystal on the front of my iPhone 3g. I leave it like that for day to day, going to work, etc. but when I go out at night or am in a situation where I'd be worried about dropping it, I slip the entire thing into a case (Switcheasy Capsule Rebel)

11. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Only online as far as I know. They come in a simple envelope and the instructions to apply them are on the site. They are general instructions that cover all the different kinds of skins they sell. Considering the process is the same for all of them, it doesn't really matter that they have a generic set of instructions.

And yeah the skins do collect dust around the edges...but a good wipe with a cloth will get most of it.

Honestly...I would not buy a case expecting it to protect the phone more than just the phone by itself (except from scratches and scuffs)...most of the cases aren't seriously designed around protecting the phone from drops. Expect to pay a lot more for a case that is seriously designed to protect the phone. From what I've seen for serious falls it's usually just a matter of where it hits...if it hits in the wrong spot your phone is toast...just like the pcmag tests without any protection. They beat that thing to death and it only failed after several high drops onto asphalt. The phone is already designed to take abuse...the most I would expect from any case is protection from scratches and scuffs.

I bought my contour flick with that in mind. It's main purpose was to offer the scratch protection that the BSE skin offers...but do it in a way that restores the sleek finish to the back of the phone. The phone feels so much nicer without that BSE skin on it...and the flick restores that feel.

12. Blown01NJ thread starter macrumors member

That case worries me a bit because of the flap on the bottom. I think after many times of opening and closing it, it might scratch the chrome bezel.

13. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

unfortunately, its just about inevitable that anyone's iPhone is going to get scratched eventually whether they have a case or not.

i try so hard not to let my ocd take over when it comes to scratches on my iphone. it can be a daily battle, but, most likely, they're gonna happen. after looking at my collection of old cellphones, if my iphone looks half as bad as those a year from now, i'll be ecstatic.

14. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

So far no scratches at all...it fits loose enough on the bottom that I don't think scratches will form easily. There are other cases with slide off bottom that wouldn't have the potential to scratch the bottom like this one does. It's only necessary to have one of those cases if you actually use a dock like I do.

15. iceymoon macrumors newbie

i got mine from at&t store, they said if i buy a bluetooth earphone and a car charger, they will offer me an iphone case (regularly $29.99) for free. I chose the black leather "case-mate" one. i think it's more durable than any other cases "skin" selling in at&t stores, so far so good.

16. reliantj macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

17. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

people always complain that the skins will not protect against falls, well neither will slim silicone cases :rolleyes:

Im not clumsy enough of a person to require the use of a bulky case ( which will protect against falls)