Those of you who got a 3GS when it came out, how were you eligible for an iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bandolier, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Bandolier macrumors 6502a

I thought you had to wait 2 years to get a full discount on a new phone.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

some people

1) are eligible after a year if they have a certain monthly bill amt and above
    2) sell their 3gs and buy a iphone at a partial or not subsidized price
    3) have enough money to buy what they want when they want

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

A lot of people sell their iPhones and then get new ones. They have an excellent resale value. They can cover from about 50%-100% of the costs of a new iPhone by selling the old one.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

4) Have to 2 iphone on family plan. That way you can upgrade one each year at the discount price.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I was somehow eligible at 9 months. I have no clue why. ATT did mention something as a 1 time only early upgrade or something of that sorts.

Also for that 9 months, most of the time I was paying to keep my phone active since I was in another country and couldn't use ATT. Maybe that had something to do with it?

6. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

1) I was talking about eligible iPhone 4s in the thread title.
    2) I said full discounted iPhone 4.

7. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Why is this in the hacks section???
    I got mine becuase on of the amount of my bill. I used my familys one upgrade and got it supsidized, then sold my 3gs and turned a little profit.

8. Bandolier thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was an accident.

9. mainomega macrumors 6502

I was eligible to purchase two for $399 (16gb) each with their partial discount.
    I sold my 3GS for $470 and my GF's 3GS for $450. The old ones paid for the new ones included tax and upgrade fee. I'll like to see any android phone do that !

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

Generally, AT&T will give you a full-upgrade 18 months into your 24 month contract.

So that means that most people who bought iPhone 3Gs in June 2009 will hit 18 months sometime in December 2010.

For whatever reason, AT&T said anyone eligible for a full-upgrade anytime in 2010 could get the iPhone 4 start from when it was launched.

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i always sell my old one, but regardless i usually use a upgrade from one of the other 2 phones on my line (i think thats what its called). but regardless this year if you remember they let others who were not eligible but were within a couple months slide. i still have another phone on my line with an upgrade for the next iphone so YAY

12. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Uh, this was actually big news this summer. ATT granted early upgrades to a BUNCH of people who had 3GS phones. Unfortunately, this was also right around the time they basically doubled the early termination fee. :eek:

13. Jkazmeyer macrumors regular

I thought AT&T made everyone with a 3GS from launch eligible. I had no problem upgrading fully subsidized. I've bought every phone on launch, no problems, they always give me the upgrade. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I thought everyone was eligible.

14. bern43 macrumors member

Sell your old one. I got 400 for my jailbroken 3gs on Craigslist. The thing sold within 3 hours of me posting it.

15. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

December 2009 I upgraded full discount to 3GS. June 24th upgraded full discount to iPhone 4.

Im on a family plan, and I am the primary, my line is more than $99.99 a month so I can upgrade early. I should of had to wait until 12/10 to upgrade, but because AT&T pushed everyone that was eligible in 2010 to June 24, I was able to upgrade after only 6 months. Which makes me happy because I can now upgrade early for the new iPhone on release day!

16. HPLouis macrumors regular

I sold both of my old 3GS' for $550 each. Then I bought my IP4 for $299 since I was able to do a full upgrade and my fiance's IP4 for $499 since she was able to partially upgrade.

My primary line was over $100 a month so I could upgrade every year and the second line could upgrade every 18 months or so. When the new iPhone comes out, I'll do the same thing again, sell 2 mint condition, unlocked and jailbroken IP4's to finance the new iPhones.

Henry

17. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

It's the same with me -- I have 4 phones on a family plan & mine is the primary line. I've been upgrade eligible after 12 months for the last 3 years. I got my iPhone 4 at the full discount in June & am eligible for another full discount next June.

18. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Sold my 3GS. Then flew to London on launch day (from Amsterdam) to buy a simlock free one. Bought one, flew back (same day). It's all been done in 2 days. All good.

19. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

That was my situation.

20. mono1980 macrumors 6502

I was immediately eligible as well. But I have been an AT&T customer since 2002 so maybe that is why.

21. TJone macrumors 6502a

This - ATT said I was eligible as a "good customer" for an early upgrade. I traveled to Europe for a couple of weeks at one point and had a $750 bill which probably made ATT especially happy with me (stupid international roaming mistake by me and a lesson learned the hard way - next time I will rent a local SIM card). That said I plan to get an iPhone 5 whenever it gets released next year and hopefully another early upgrade.

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That has nothing to do with it.
    It depends on how much you monthly bill is before taxes. If its over $100 every month you qualify for a full upgrade every year. Then family plans come into play and it can get more complicated on how and when. Better off calling AT&T for more details.

23. mer4343 macrumors newbie

Yup, me too. My upgrade eligibility coincides with the new iPhone releases every year. Don't know exactly why or how, it just does. So every year, i sell my old phone and get a new one at the full discount. I usually end up making about $150 profit.