Those of you who went to genius bar

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hcho3, Jul 18, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

If you have issues with iphone 4, what did apple genius do for you? Did they replace it with brand new one? Since Steve jobs said only 0.55 percent reported issues and not all users are affected by this iphone 4 antenna issue, I am thinking about taking it to apple store. Will apple store exchange it with brand new one even though I did not buy from them? I don't want refurbished one, so I thought I should ask.

2. SailorMike macrumors member

I had my phone replaced by the genius, but first I went through all the trouble-shooting on AppleCare. Additionally, my phone would drop bars without me even touching it. It could sit on a table and lose calls. They called it a hardware issue... and they were right.

My new phone is fine. I can somewhat affect performance with the death grip, but that's not how I hold it. Plus I have a bumper to protect the glass.

It's all good and the phone is fantastic.

3. abhi104 macrumors newbie

On friday 15th July 10.....the geinus bar checked my phone and ran some diagnostic test & confirmed that the phone was functioning normal except the antenna issue which prevails on all IPhone 4G, however I explained that I wasen't satisfied & I wanted a replacement. The genius bar suggested that even with the phone replacement, the antenna issue will still persists...and offered a free bumper, however I refused and insisted the phone to be replaced.
    The genius bar then replaced my phone with brandnew Iphone 4G, however the antenna issue was still a problem as per prediction, I was upset, the genius bar spoke with her manager about my issue & went ahead and gave me a free bumper.

This momentarly fixed the issue...:D

+ Steve has promised to offer free bumper next day....so I might end up getting 2 bumpers free of cost !!!

Thanks Apple.

4. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Screw a bumper. Give me an iPhone 4 dock!

5. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Impressive haggling skills!

You: "Hey, my iPhone has a defect with the anetenna!"

Genius: "I'll give you a free bumper."

You: "No, I demand a unit that doesn't have the defect!"

Genius: "Your replacement phone has the same defect. I talked to my manager and they just authorized me to give you a free bumper."

You: "I accept!"

6. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

With my wife's iPhone 4, the genius did some slight of hand nonsense with the micro sim card while saying something I honestly can't remember anymore (but I know it wasn't at all relevant). Then he said to go back home and restore it as a new iPhone 4. Didn't resolve the issues and resulted in some lost user input that was fairly important.

7. jay1097 macrumors member

I know I'm being picky, but it's the iPhone 4 not the m*****fing iPhone 4G!

8. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

i seem to be having the same problem but i haven't updated to 4.01 yet

in places i had 5 bars on my 3gs i get 5 bars on my ip4 but now it will go from 5 to 3 to 0 and then back to 5 and then to 4 and so on

i'll reach in my pocket and take my phone out to find i have 0 bars, then it'll climb up to 5 then to 4 and just keep up going up and down.

i've laid my phone on a table and seen 5 bars go down to 3 and its just sitting there.

does this sound like normal antenna function or something a reset would fix? hardware problem? worth taking it to the apple store?

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Anytime you get a replacement from Apple you are getting a refurb.

THere is nothing to fear as a refurb is exactly the same. If there was a dead pixel the screen would be replaced, etc. etc.

If you still don't want a refurb, then I would suggest purchasing a new one and selling the old one to someone who wouldn't mind a refurb, or the phone in it's current state.

10. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

You're saying that every iPhone 4 replacement, has been returned to Apple, checked out/refurbished re-serialised and put back into circulation?

11. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

The Genius didn't do anything except tell me they aren't replacing phones for that issue.

12. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

My phones glass broke on the back, not my fault at all. They stated that since it was a single crack, and there was no point of impact (from me dropping it, since I didn't), they would replace it. Took out a new phone, and gave it to me. The process of giving me a new phone took about 2 minutes, waiting in line about half an hour (with an appointment).

13. jlblodgett macrumors 6502a

I went to my local store and showed the salesperson (I don't think he was a genius) how my phone would drop bars, just by me touching the bottom. Then I did the same thing with one of their display models, and it DID NOT drop bars.

The salesperson explained to me that there was nothing wrong with my phone and they weren't offering replacements for the antenna issue anymore, only returns.

14. Awaken macrumors member

The proximity sensor issue is the only thing that is bother me. I read that people that have taken there phones back and gotten new ones haven't had a problem with the sensor. I am skeptical that a software update will fix this problem. The main question is, do you think it is worth the time to take back the phone to try and get a new one, or to wait around till the software update rolls around?

15. anonymous guy macrumors 6502

I'm on my third iPhone 4.

The first one I bought had a battery problem that caused an overheat. After it cooled down, the battery would no longer hold a charge. Took it to the Genius Bar and got it replaced on the spot - diagnostics confirmed that the temperature warning had been triggered.

The replacement I got held a charge just fine - unfortunately the microphone was dead. I didn't catch this until 28GB of data was restored and I received a call. The other end couldn't hear me unless I used the speakerphone function. I took it to the Genius Bar and they noticed that the phone wasn't registering sound on the Voice Recorder app. He then did a complete restore on the phone, which he thought may alleviate the problem - as suspected, the microphone had a hardware problem.

I now am on my third iPhone 4. No problems so far, fingers crossed.

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The Genius was very clear and polite. He told me to hold it different when browsing and to turn off 3G if I wanted to have an extended phone call.

His computer said 11% of my calls drop. I'm returning the iPhone 4 because you cannot return the replacements.

17. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

Is it true that once you replace the iphone4 with another one, you cannot return it within the 30 days return period?:confused:

18. alfonsom05 macrumors newbie

Well, it's both. Its called the iPhone 4 but its the 4th generation so it's both. iPhone 4 and iPhone 4g. You can refer to the iPhone 3g as iPhone 2g in reference to generation. :apple:

19. beavk macrumors newbie

I'm wondering the same. When I got mine replaced for the coma problem, the people at the Apple store never mentioned anything about the return policy would change...

20. iWeldonJ macrumors member

Once you get a replacement phone the serial number no longer corresponds with the original purchase. So, the answer is no.

21. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

22. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

They are usually good about this. The contract you sign for $0.00 says NO RETURN. Although, I had a bunch of dead pixels with my 3G replacement and went back and he upgraded me to a BRAND NEW iPhone.

23. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

For what issue?