Those of you with iPhone and Blackberry on ATT...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by orange42, Jun 1, 2010.

1. orange42 macrumors 6502a

I have a 3G and I just got a Blackberry on Ebay. I'm wondering if I just switch sim cards from my iPhone to BB will my contract change at all in regards to the data plans? I know they're both $30 but if I switch between phones often will they try charging me a total of $60 a month for using data on both phones? Thanks.

2. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

You're better off just calling it in. They shouldn't double charge you and just prorate for each, but better to to settle it on the front end than having to deal with any issues on the back end.

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

No, but you will have to switch your data plan to the blackberry data plan if you want BIS. You will most likely get charged for both services for that day, so I wouldn't go switching back and forth every day or else your bill will be $60.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I swap back and forth for my work phone a couple of times a year. When I do so, the data does not work until I call in and have them set it to a BB data plan. You can't just swap SIMS back and forth unfortunately. Annoying as ****.

Edit: They should pro-rate the data plans so that you are not double charged, so don't worry about that portion.

5. ecks618 macrumors 6502

ecks618

iPhone data plan comes off you plan automatically after 2 business days of putting the sim card in a different phone. Happened to me when I switched from iPhone to old blackberry for 5 day trip and came back to no iPhone plan on bill.

6. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So basically if I want to switch back and forth I just need to call them each time and say that and won't be charged?

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

correct. they did try to charge me an activation fee or something once IIRC...but I yelled and they took it off. We are a really big account so they didn't want to piss me off.

You might want to be careful of that. I'd guess if you get a nice CSR and treat them nicely, you should be ok. I don't know what the exact policy is.

8. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I messed around with a BB 9700 for a while, and I would call AT&T every time I'd use it to swtich data plans. The BB is useless otherwise because Wifi, BBM, push email and services all are worthless without the right plan. I used my iPhone on the BB plan too without any issue, but I switched back after selling the Bold.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Really? My iPhone data wouldn't work on the BB plan IIRC.

10. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I needed to clarify: I had to install the profile off some website for it to work, but it worked after I did that. Without modifying my APN, it didn't work.

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ahhh...that makes sense.

12. orange42 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Were you charged extra at any point?