Those of you with iPhones, what are you going to do if a new one comes out this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FoxMcWeezer, Feb 22, 2010.

1. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular

This topic was made purely for opinionated answers. I'm curious and I'm sure others are as well about what the current iPhone owners will do if a new model is released in the summer.

So, what will your plan of action be if a new model comes out this summer?

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

3. thep33t macrumors regular

since the announcement will come on a weekday, I see myself going to bed at 11, like usual, waking up at 7, like usual, and rushing to work. The only difference in that day, and the day after, alot of people at work will be talking about it. Unless someone robs me of my 3g that day, I wont be considering getting a new one.

4. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I'm happy with my 3GS so unless the new iPhone has features that make it impossible to resist I'm sticking with my 3GS.

5. rmead001 macrumors member

I'll be buying it as soon as I can, as long as it is worth the upgrade, obviously

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

If they re-design the hardware then I will buy. If the front of the phone looks the same as it has since 2007 then I wil be holding on to my 3GS.

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I bought the 2008 phone on day 1 with the intention of upgrading to the new one in 2010.

And that's still my plan.

8. luckyblue macrumors regular

luckyblue

I held out on getting the 3GS so that I could get the one coming out this summer. Of course, waiting to see what features it will have.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'll be waiting until all the suckers buy it when it first comes out. Several months later I'll buy mine for considerably less than they did. As usual, there will be whining from those who had to have it now.

10. WannaApple? macrumors 6502a

I never upgraded to the 3Gs and my 3G has scratches and a crack in the back, so I will most likely be upgrading here this summer. Time for newer and better.

11. countrydweller macrumors 6502

countrydweller

It depends on the upgrades to the new iPhone.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

It all depends on what is included.

I'm expecting incremental improvements in the camera (probably 5MP), and speed. Maybe an improved screen.

Don't really care about changing the look of the physical device.
    Don't need more storage.

A front facing camera and iChat would be nice.

As long as there is some improvement, I am sure I will be line like everyone else on day one...

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I will not be rushing out like everyone else on release day. I'm eligible to upgrade my 3G in August, so I will probably update my iPhone at that time. Unless there is some mind-blowing feature that I must have on the new iPhone.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

As my 3GS does everything I need it to do, unless the next iPhone does something so revolutionary it makes my 3GS obsolete, I won't be in the market until it dies.

15. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I will see if it has these features which I consider to be fundamental on smartphones:
    • Much improved battery life (24 hours of standby time is pathetic)
    • Much improved build quality: Extend the screen bezel out past the glass, instead of having glass sticking out past the bezel (so it won't crack the first time it's dropped from 18 inches above the ground). Don't use glossy plastic for the back of the phone... it will be destroyed within 4 months.
    • Adds a message indicator light... I should be able to tell I have a message waiting without turning the screen on
    • Completely redo the lock screen. Make it show upcoming calendar events, unread mail/sms/voicemail/missed call count. Push notices should not take priority over SMS messages: I would rather see that I have a SMS than know that someone that I don't even know commented on my friend's Facebook status. Something like Windows Mobile's Today screen's functionality combined with HTC Sense's looks.
    • Allows you to install non-App Store apps (aka Developers can release apps on their own) without jailbreaking the device.
    • Reliable 3G data connections (it's not AT&T because other AT&T 3G phones work fine... my iPhone will just pretend that it is loading the page)
    • The ability to run one background app (such as Pandora) while you are using another app
    • My biggest complaint: make the phone ring/vibrate EVERY TIME it is supposed to: so when I get a SMS, it should ring/vibrate EVERY TIME, not just when it feels like it.
    • LED flash on camera

If Apple fixes those issues, I will pay AT&T whatever they want for the new iPhone. And to be clear, I think the iPhone is an amazing phone, but it is missing alot of important features and is not the most reliable choice.

16. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I held off on the 3GS, so I will be eligible for an upgrade. However, I won't be rushing out to grab the new iPhone. I check it out and then will compare it to other available phones (likely an android-based phone). I then make a decision. I'm not going to blindly run out and buy the next iPhone (although I likely will end up with it in the end).

17. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I'll be too broke from buying iPads to think about a new phone ;)

Seriously, my 16GB 3G is out of contract this summer and I'm happy with it. Might just keep it another year. Or I might go with a 3GS - since I'd love an autofocus camera and a bump to 32GB to hold most of my music. It should be discounted too.

I'd only consider buying this summer's latest model if it offers:
    • 64GB for all of my music and some movies,
    • The same size/shape as the 3G and 3GS - since I'm heavily invested in cases and TomTom car kits,
    • Something else to blow my socks off.

18. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Most likely day 1, if i can afford the new one.

19. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

I got the 3GS last summer but it has minor cracks in the screen and casing, so if AT&T lets me upgrade for a discount or another 2 year contract I will do it. But I'm not holding out hope for that!

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I'm nearly positive that neither the 3G or 3GS ever got cheaper during their natural lifetime. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the last actual iPhone price drop happened in September of 2007. (I'm not counting how they get cheaper a year later when a new one comes out because that's clearly not what you're talking about.)

So your plan is to hope that something that happened one time, 29 months ago, will happen again this year?

That's some serious optimism.

21. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Have you forgot all the whining when the 3G went from 599 to 299 (or somewhere around there) several months after it came out. I thought that was in 2008.

Then you had all the whining about buying the 3G a year before the 3GS and wanting to upgrade early. We'll definitely hear that this time.

22. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

I'll be waiting a few days/weeks until there's a consensus on how bug-free it is, and then upgrading, as my 3g contract will be up by then. I'm sort of banking on it being a step up from the 3gs, and am hoping that it does at least some of the things I get through JB'ing (calendar on lockscreen, backgrounding, etc.).

Tiptopp

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

So your plan is to travel back in time?

I'm confused. You said you're going to save money in 2010. How is an event that happened once in 2007 going to help you do that?

So if other people don't understand how subsidized phones work and complain then THAT's going to allow you to buy a phone cheaper?

I'm still not understanding the plan here.

24. soup4you2 macrumors regular

+1

Unless incoming phone calls become more reliable I'll be swapping to the android this summer. I love the phone and all but the fact that it's main purpose (the phone) is very unreliable is making me look at other alternatives now.

It's a great device, however it failed me and now it's time to move on.

25. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

99% chance that I will have one the day they come out. I skipped the 3GS version so that I can get the next gen hardware. As for the OS, that will be updated on all phones (I would guess) so that is almost a moot point for me. But I would like a better camera and video capability. But whatever it is, I'm buying it. :D