Those of you with new iPhone 4s unlimited data with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eternal 28, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Do you still have the option of going back to the regular data unlimited for iPhone ? Can you guys check your account online and let me know. Thank you

2. dave006 macrumors 68020

Well both are listed on the feature list at the moment.

The current Data Unlimited for iPhone is set to expire on 11/28 and the new Data Unlimited is set to start on 11/28. So they are both set to current at the moment.

The SOC codes are also different:

Data Unlimited for iPhone 4S - IHN1 ( SOC - iPhone 4 )
    Data Unlimited for iPhone - IPN1 ( SOC - 3G/3GS/iPhone 4 data plan )
    iPhone Data Plan + 200 Text - MMV1 ( SOC - original iPhone data plan )

Dave

3. Jman13 macrumors 68000

Just "data unlimited for iPhone 4S". Still unlimited, but not sure what you mean by 'go back.'

My thought is that they will discontinue unlimited data after the 4S, but I'm not sure. That would suck, though.

4. jcmeyer5 macrumors 6502

Mmmm. Unlimited data w/o having to get that life sucking Sprint service!!

5. Eternal 28 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lets say I go back the the iPhone 4, I wonder if the new iPhone 4s unlimited data plan would work since its a Hspa+ data plan. Therfore I was wondering if we can roll back to the original unlimited data plan.

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

No you cannot go back. No exceptions once you mOve away from unlimited

7. HPLouis macrumors regular

But he's not moving away from unlimited. He's asking about going from iPhone 3/3GS/4 unlimited data to iPhone 4s unlimited data and vice-versa.

8. MorganB macrumors member

I lost my iPhone 4 and have been using my original iPhone in its place. When I activated the original iPhone it just moved me off the 30$ plan to the old 2g plan.

9. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

So if I were to get an iPhone 2G, activate it, I get the $20 Unlimited Plan. Then get the 4S and it automatically adds me to the $30 Unlimited Plan?

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No. This loophole was closed long ago because people abused the system. AT&T got wind of it and closed it. Now, you have to have like 1 year of 2G service plan before jumping to the unlimited 3G plan.

11. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

from what i've talked about with at&t on numerous occasions, as long as you have an unlimited plan you can keep it, but you have to let them know wen you switch devices so they can keep you on unlimited. the reason is all blackberry's, iPhones, and android/windows phone all have they're own data plans, so if you switch from one to another you need your unlimited plan switched too. if you don't you run the risk of the system bumping you off the unlimited plan to thats phones current data plan. I had unlimited data for iPhone then switched to a windows phone after i sold my iPhone 4 while i waited for the new one. so they switched me from unlimited iPhone to unlimited windows, and put me on unlimited iPhone 4s when I upgraded. Had i not done that they said I could've run the risk of the system automatically changing me to a 2gb windows data plan since I wasn't using the iPhone.

12. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

I am sure your iPhone 4 will work just fine.

Way to read the post :rolleyes:

13. LSUtigers03 macrumors 68020

LSUtigers03

I don't think it matters. Technically my data plan is the unlimited smartphone data plan because my last upgrade was to an Atrix which is an hspa+ phone. My iPhone 4 works just fine even though it's not an iPhone data plan.

14. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

One person says you have to be on the iPhone 2G Unlimited Data plan for a year before they'll switch it. Another says you can switch at any time. So, how long do you have to be on the 2G Unlimited Plan before you can move it to the $30 Unlimited iPhone plan? A day? A week? A year? Does it really matter?

15. dave006 macrumors 68020

Nope not closed at this time. There is even a very long thread here on MR that this very topic.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1254528

You do have to work for it and have an original iPhone and use iTunes to activate it as a new phone but it still works.

Dave

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

That link is this thread, and the long thread you mentioned has lots of "recent" cases with people failing.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

There is a reason that AT&T calls the plan the unlimited for 4S.:rolleyes:

18. kring macrumors regular

kring

So does anyone know if there actually is a difference in the two plans? iPhone 4 Unlimited vs iPhone4S unlimited?

Reason I ask, is that I have two separate accounts, I just got 1 iPhone 4S and they were talking about converting the data plan to the 4S plan... but I actually put the 4S on the other account which had a regular 4, basically swapping hardware across the accounts.... both are working... but am I not getting the HPSA+ with my new 4S because it's on the old plan?

19. flashflooder macrumors regular

FWIW, I'm on a 4S and was using the 'old' unlimited plan up until yesterday, when I called to change it over. Haven't noticed any significant changes.

My wife is on an i4 and is using the unlimited plan for 4S with no issues.

I think they're the same exact plan.

20. det2004 macrumors 6502

Why does it matter? They are the same thing with a different name.

21. whiskeyvol macrumors regular

there is no difference. confirmed through 2 different reps i spoke to yesterday

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn, I'd like to give this iphone 2G trick a try.
    You think it wont let me or if I call customer service they will let me update to the unlimited 3G data from the old $20 plan?

23. NoHo macrumors 6502

I bet the reason it's labeled unlimited data for the iPhone 4S instead of unlimited data for the iPhone like it's always been is because when the next iPhone comes out and we try to grandfather our unlimited data plan in, AT&T says, "We're sorry. You can only use that plan with another iPhone 4S, not the iPhone 5. Please choose one of our tiered data plans that don't rollover what you don't use."

24. dave006 macrumors 68020

It works but you have to let the system do the change of the $20 data plan for the orignial iPhone to the $30 Unlimited Data plan. Don't try to force it by calling, let the system detect your device change from the original iPhone to a later iPhone.

If you call Customer Care or go to an AT&T store, your chances are some what random and based on the skills of the rep. Just like all those that posted in the thread that could not follow the iTunes activation steps and ended up with a tiered iPhone Data plan.

Dave

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.