Those on the fence about what phone to upgrade to this year...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Indy21, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Indy21 macrumors 6502

What would Apple have to reveal this fall in their 6th generation iPhone to make you forget the competition?

Let's face it, there are many of us smartphone junkies that believe the iPhone 4/4s's days are now numbered due to phones such as the HTC 1x and the new Galaxy S3 for examples.

When Tim Cook (or maybe Scott) takes the stage this fall and reveals new hardware, what is it that you MUST see that will make you stay Apple or perhaps jump back on board with Apple?

I know, there are many others that don't care to upgrade (yet) at all and are perfectly happy with their iphones, I'm happy for ya! :D

I've been a iPhone fanboy since day one but I gotta tell ya, throughout the past few years with all the copying of designs and copied features of the iPhone, I think the competition is finally beginning to catch up and in some instances exceed Apple's offering.

Personally, I've been with iOS for awhile now and it's what I know and I'm comfortable with. I'm not interested in learning a whole new system or gimmicky features of other devices just yet.

Watching video reviews of the S3 the past view days has really impressed me. Am I going to get one? No. I'm saving my pennies until Fall.

For me, I'd like to see a slightly bigger screen (4" will do). I'd like to see an upgrade in battery (currently I use my iPhone so much I recharge 3 times a day). I would like to see 2gb RAM. And the usual upgraded, better and faster than the last one, processor and all. Additional upgrades to the camera's are always nice. Plus I want a different material than 'glass' for a backplate.

That's all I can think of for now, getting late here, yaaawn.

Thoughts?

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The only thing required is LTE. That will be enough to maintain the iPhone's reign, and I will buy one.

3. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

A LOT...Speed..Bigger screen..Faster...Better camera...New Design...Bigger storage..More ram...Better battery. At least those things :'(

4. WindWaker macrumors regular

Personally, I'd need the following:

-LTE
    -Bigger Screen (at least 4", hopefully a bit more than that)
    -A5X or better
    -More RAM

All of these are basically confirmed at this point (well, at least IMO), but there are many things I'd want in my next (i)Phone:

-WIDGETS!!!
    -Face Unlock (I honestly think this is coming as Apple's "surprise" iP5 announcement-- Siri equivalent)
    -NFC (you'd be surprised how much more one would use this than expected)
    -Gestures
    -Better Speakers
    -Better Camera
    -Battery Improvements
    -128GB model (I use a LOT of gigs on my iDevices)
    -Built-in Bump/ Android or S Beam (with so many iPhones running around these days, this would be a useful feature!)

Incorporating ALL of these features would put this phone easily ahead of the GSIII and One X for me.

5. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

To be fairly honest it's going to be very difficult to impress me, because in the end your smartphone is partially made from the operating system and we all know that iOs6 was a big disappointment. Android has much better features, and the Google IO is almost there which will bring a new Operating system with even more features.

I'm mostly sure I'll go with the SGIII, but I'm waiting to see if Apple can pull a trick on their sleeve.

6. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

LTE, a larger screen, faster processor, and more RAM will do it for me since I'll be upgrading from an i4. To be honest, its a phone, it does what I need in a smooth and fast manner. App support is great and Siri will be improved. No need to look at Android.

There is one thing that kills me though.. iOS 6 maps.

7. jeffe macrumors 6502a

8. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

I can sum up what everyone here is saying they need in the next iphone in 4 words...high end Android phone. Could have had all these things already. No way Apple delivers on any of this but LTE and a slightly improved camera.

9. Indy21 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's just crazy to me! LoL, now it's "Apple" who needs to pull a trick out of their sleeve, not the other way around!

Everyone knew that was going to happen eventually and here we are. It will be interesting to see what Android phone makers pull off in 2013 and the following years.

----------

I'm afraid you are right. They won't do everything an android device can do but can they pull something off that's different and shockingly impressive to draw attention away from the high end android phones?

Oh and btw, I'd also like to see LTE and more storage as well. :D

10. walmartmartyr macrumors 6502

Apple could release the same phone as the 4s but 4" and lte and it will sell MILLIONS. it's apple!

I'd say thats all we're Gunna get first go around. After that the iPhone 5s will have the processor and camera upgrade. Probably low voltage chip and much better battery
    Life.

To b honest, two day battery life would b the rabbit out of the hat surprise. It's not a flashy perk but one that will b the most appreciated by all users over any other spec

11. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

My biggest gripe with Apple is their push for a fall iPhone release instead of a june/july time frame. I'm a day 1 iPhone 4 user and want a new device from Apple but right now they're not offering one. Otherwise there's not much other than that, that they need to do. I suspect Apple knows what they need to do to stay ahead of the competition, I just disagree with the new fall iPhone launch.

12. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm on the fence a lot and go back and forth. As much as I criticize Apple, it's because they're capable of so much more, and I hate to see them sitting on their asses like they have been the last year or so with the iPhone and iOS.
    The iPhone and iOS is like a well oiled, fine tuned machine and what it does, it does it the best, but there's so much more they could be.

But iOS6 is a dud. What the hell has the OS team been doing the last year? Maps? Give me a break. It's just an app, not even the OS. Where's optional widgets? Themes? Live icons? (live wallpaper for that matter) (and before you boys get your panties in a twist, all these things could be turned off so it wouldn't affect your battery) and why can't you still position icons where you want them? (on top of the other things people keep clamoring for)

Sorry to say, yet again, iOS6 will require an immediate Jailbreak to be all it could be. Past OS updates have at least copied a few JB features people were wanting (folders, notification center and wallpapers come to mind). Shame on you Apple for being lazy. Your Hubris is showing.

So, anyway, I wore out a 3GS and now have a 4 that's getting a bit long in the tooth, so I'll probably upgrade this fall regardless (though, I think stretching the screen only vertically to achieve 4" is a lazy cop-out that also detrimentally affects the clean proportions of the iPhone)

I'll also be diligently waiting for the iOS6 Jailbreak.

13. Sunsean macrumors 6502

It's true that the new higher end Android phones can do more out of the box than a 4s, but with jailbreaking you can achieve most of those same features...and I know us forum posters who are nerdy with out phones like to jailbreak ios and root Android...

Another thing to keep in mind with who is currently leading the smartphone world in terms of innovation and features - how many new Android phones come out every year? About 10? How many new iPhones come out every year? 1.

IMO (and this is as a former 3 year Android user), Apple is clearly still the king of the mobile world. They practically started the whole modern touch-screen smartphone phase of tech, and have been consistently driving it ever since, with only 1 release/year, while the other guys are throwing up several competitors every year, the iPhone is holding its ground. Android gets to evolve every 1-2 months when someone releases a new device. Apple works slowly and diligently, and when they release their new iPhone every year, you can be sure it will be a worthy upgrade. I've come to realize how big an upgrade the 4s truly was over the 4, I just think it would have made a MUCH bigger splash if they had at least updated the physical design SOMEWHAT. Looking exactly identical to its predecessor doesn't exactly scream innovation, but the inside improvements were quite dramatic.

With the next iPhone coming out in the fall, I suspect/expect a larger screen (4.3" tops, I think more like an even 4 is likely which if okay with me), slightly improved camera (the 4s cam is so good, not sure how much more they can fit in), more RAM (doubt it will get 2gb, I'm guessing 1-1.5...the 4s only has 512mb after all...), LTE. These features along with ios 6 will make a pretty big splash.

I think/hope Apple has learned from the 4/4s incident that people are very visually oriented, and with the new iPhone have a different APPEARANCE and FORM FACTOR, it's already going to make a big splash.

14. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The boat is really sailing for me with the iPhone. I made the switch this year to the GN and ICS truly offers a better experience on almost every front except for a few (camera, namely). And now that 4.04 is out for ICS, what early kinks existed have been hammered out.

The lists of reasons to stay with the iPhone grow shorter and shorter. iOS 6 didn't really affect me in the way I wanted it to. After Google Maps and Navigation, there's just no going back. I don't doubt Apple can grow their Map/Nav system to be as good, but I don't believe it'll happen right away with iOS 6. In the mean time, Google Maps will continue to improve upon what it already has established. Likewise, I can't believe there was nothing announced or hinted at regarding keyboard improvements. The keyboard is in desperate need of improving.

Having said that, I'm confident there will be a redesign, and I'm confident Apple will deliver another aesthetically beautiful product with bells and whistles, and I'm sure it'll be a rousing success, as usual, but for me personally, I'm not sure it will be enough.

SIDE NOTE: It'll be interesting to see what JellyBean brings to Android at the coming Google I/O. Sounds like it'll be a relatively minor update.

----------

This really sums up how I feel. Times have changed.

15. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Imagine if ICS had only been a new Map app and some under-the-hood tweaking like Facebook integration?

16. batting1000 macrumors 604

Lol @ Face Unlock. Who really uses that anyway?

17. npggirl macrumors member

npggirl

You took the words right out of my mouth.
    ;)

18. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

not sure why all the downvotes for this post...

Everyone downvoting KNOWS it's true... The next iPhone will sell MILLIONS and would still do so if the ONLY addition was 4G capability.

19. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

It also makes me wonder what the people at Apple are doing. I don't mean this in any condescending way. I'm sure there are hard working, dedicated people there, but when each year only [intentionally] brings minor upgrades, it makes you wonder.

For example, I don't believe they haven't come up with some way of allowing email attachments without a file-menu system (and not just of pics/vids).

----------

We know that's what will happen. That's the problem.

Generally speaking (meaning not directed at you Leonard), I've said this before a number of times at this forum, Apple fans can be less intellectually honest when it comes to Apple products, and in particular with the iPhone. We see it happen here all the time, people adamantly refusing to acknowledge and address the shortcomings of iOS and the iPhone (how many times have we heard "it just works!"? The keyboard, in particular, is the perfect example. All those "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" websites should tell you it doesn't "just work"...). This sort of dishonesty is going to come back and bite you in the butt down the line. If Apple sells the idea of "perfection" and people believe it, Apple has no reason to change their business model nor make drastic improvements.

And so, if a new iPhone comes out that's slightly larger, and offers LTE, and nothing else, it'll still sell millions. And those iPhone users who tend to be more intellectually honest about its shortcomings, will be the ones who suffer, or jump ship to Android (as I have).

20. wc17 macrumors member

They can just take my money now. I don't need to know about the new features. My contract is up in September so it's perfect timing.

What I hope makes it? Slightly bigger screen, 4" is perfect (5" phones are crazy big), 4g LTE, better camera, better speaker(s), and it's gotta look nice.

As long as the new phone runs great with apples trademark silky smooth OS then I'm in...

21. FlatlinerG macrumors 6502a

FlatlinerG

-I would like a better set of cameras and for the front facing camera to get a fairly decent bump up as well.

-Would also like to see the removal of the glass backing into a brushed aluminum style. (#1 on my wants list)

-RAM/CPU upgrades would be excellent.

-I know I'll get flamed a little bit for this but I'm really hoping that the screen stays at 3.5".

Other than that, I can honestly say I'm very happy with my 4S so any drastic changes could be too much. Keep the changes simple.

22. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Seriously, it has my preferred mobile OS, all the features I could think to use. Of course I want Apple to innovate with something more than "Find My Friends", but for me to get my two year upgrade, the iPhone only NEEDS to have LTE. Other than that, everything else is icing on the cake, if you will.____________________________________________________________Click below to Downvote

23. nyfliiboy macrumors regular

Apple is going to have to bring the big guns out. The competition is fierce and the plain old simplistic iphone wont cut it. One thing i wish they would do would be to put a light on the home button for notifications

24. nfl46 macrumors 603

This will probably be the Top 3 phones this year:

1) The new iPhone
    2) Samsung Galaxy SIII
    3) HTC One X

No particular order.

25. mbell1975 macrumors 6502a

Sales-wise or best phone wise? Either way, this list isn't correct. The Razr HD will outsell the One X, and by a mile.