Those that went from 6+ to 6... Battey life thoughts?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skiltrip, Dec 18, 2014.

1. skiltrip, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014

skiltrip macrumors 68030

I just got a 6 Plus. I chose the Plus because of the well reported battery life this thing has. The size of the phone though (but mostly the ergonomics) is a mixed bag. It's a little tall, and a bit unruly. Even the Note 4 I had briefly handled better.

I'm considering a switch to the 6, but I'm concerned about battery life shock. But in all honesty, anything more than a days worth of charge isn't truly necessary if you know you'll have access to a charger when you get home. I'm not a ultra heavy user. It's mostly email, texting, some YouTube, some music, some GPS (but I can stay plugged in in the car).

What are your thoughts on the regular 6's battery after having owned a 6+? Was it a shock, or did you get on just fine?

2. Sundar83 macrumors member

When compare to 6 battery 6+ is better, experienced by me using iphone 6+ gold 64gb

3. mjb59463, Dec 18, 2014

mjb59463 macrumors 6502

I've had both and honestly with my usage pattern, I couldn't tell much of a difference between my 5s and the regular 6. Both died relatively fast for me, although the 6 did last a little longer. It was common that with around 2 hours of usage using Spotify/Safari heavily, I would be down to around 55%

The 6+ however, is in another league. The battery life is stellar in my opinion. I leave the house every morning at 7:30 AM, return home at around 5 PM, and my phone will still have north of 50% with heavy usage on email's, Safari, some Spotify, phone calls and texts.

While I'm not 100% in love with the size of the 6+, the battery life makes it worth the ergonomic tradeoff for me.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My wife has the 6 and her experience is the same.

5. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Very helpful reply. Thank you. I am coming from a Galaxy S3, which is in another league of bad battery altogether. But this time around I really want a phone that simply doesn't require me to make battery considerations, or constantly toggle my wifi and Bluetooth off or on depending on what I am doing. I want to just use the phone as heavily or as lightly as I feel like it on any particular day and not give it any thought to whether I'll need to charge back up. I'm thinking the Plus definitely gives me that, and from what you say, the 6 will definitely NOT give me that.

I'm going to stick with the Plus for a while. I just stuck a Speck Candyshell Grip case on it tonight which improves the handling quite a bit.

6. mjb59463 macrumors 6502

I definitely think the 6 Plus will be the best at doing what you need it to do. I've gone through your decision as well, considering which model would last me throughout the day no matter what I was doing and through whatever circumstances might occur on a day-to-day basis. I tried both out, and the winner for me personally was the Plus.

The Candyshell Grip will immensely help with the handling of it too. I don't think I could use my Plus without a case, it's pretty slippery. Give yourself some time to get used to it, and I'd say within a week the Plus will seem 100% normal to you.

7. Bahroo, Dec 18, 2014

Bahroo macrumors 68000

Went from a 6 to a 6 Plus and the battery life is a good 30-40% better easily, thing feels like it lasts almost forever, when i hit the road and i am fully charged i am not worried at all i will run out of battery for the day at all. The battery life on the 6 Plus truly is spectacular and a very noticeable increase from the 6

I found both to be quite good, the 6 charges really fast compared to the 6 Plus so theres that advantage

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Actually, the battery capacity of the 6 Plus is 60% more than that of the regular 6. So a 40-50% improvement is not surprising.

9. Bahroo macrumors 68000

Was just a guesstimate. It is "shockingly" better then the 6, as OP would say, in my case at least from going to a 6 to a 6 plus

10. Mcdevidr macrumors 6502a

I went from 5 to 6 and noticed some nice battery improvements. Then I went to 6+ and noticed even more. I get about 11-12 hours normal usage on my 6+. The 6 I was getting 9-10. I have noticed that the light sensor often has the phone maxed out on brightness which destroys the battery, the five's auto light sensor did not do this.

11. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'll be honest this was one of my biggest fears when leaving the Galaxy Note 3. While I'm not saying the battery life there was incredible, the ability to swap the battery when needed was a HUGE plus. I was afraid that the battery life on the 6 Plus might not be up to par. Boy was I mistaken! The 6 Plus is a beast. With light usage I can get through 2 full days on a single charge which is incredible! With moderate to heavy usage, I can get through a full day with at least 50% battery left at the end of the day.

My only complaint with the 6 Plus is that that the bezel could use a lot of refinement, but I guess with touch ID it won't be getting smaller anytime soon.

12. tekkt0r macrumors member

I downgraded from the 6+ to the 6 and yes, there's a noticable difference in battery life. However, in my circumstance, it's not an issue. I have a car charger, charger at my desk and obviously one at home. So if it's low I just plug it in. It is what it is... nothing's perfect. For me, the pro's to having a smaller phone outweight the cons of the shorter battery life.

13. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

Here's an example question.

Today, at work, I unplugged at 7:30 in my car, and started at 100%. 8 hours later, I'm at 50%.

So I used 50% in my 8 hour day. If I was using a regular 6, what would you say my percentage would be right now?

14. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Between 25 and 30%.

15. Ashtar macrumors regular

I consider myself a heavy user and I got considerably longer battery life out of the 6 over my 5S while I had it. Now that I have the Plus they both seem crazy short in comparison.

16. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I went from the 6+ to the 6. As others have said the battery difference is massive; however, I still get through a day with my 6. My phone comes off the charger at 5am and goes back on around 9pm. I usually have 15% battery with 2-3.5 hours of actual screen on time.

Usage is a useless stat so I have no idea what it would say.

If I only use my phone here and there it easily has 30+ at the end of the night. The good news it charges fast. Since I use "hey Siri" in the car I charge. With a 10 minute commute I can add 20%.

17. skiltrip thread starter macrumors 68030

On my 3rd day with the Plus, and I'm not sure I'm liking the size. It's actually not too bad without a case, but a decent case kind of pushes it over the edge.

I might bite the bullet, take the battery hit, and trade it in for a 6.