Those waiting for an updated MacBook Air: How has the proximity to WWDC affected you?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Jobsian, Jun 4, 2010.

  1. Jobsian macrumors 6502a


    Jul 30, 2009
    ...if at all?

    For me, I'm going to admit to the following: I've actually dreamt of Jobs unveiling various "updates", some being rather bizarre. I've also woken up early on several occasions, usually the past few Tuesdays, out of anticipation.

    I have to say the excitement is now both waning a little with the paucity of information on updates eg no leaks, no stock shortages unlike the Mac Mini (though the Air isn't a massive seller) but the excitement is also increasing as we get closer to WWDC and any hint of a rumor.

    As we get closer, even posts on the forum can swing my anticipation both ways from ballistically excited to almost dejected resignation at no update.

    I've also sold all notebooks that I had in anticipation and have cash in hand for whatever update General Jobs has in store, if any :D

    I'm aware this emotional attachment to a notebook is woefully irrational, nevertheless I'm enjoying riding the tide at the moment, I'll only apply some soothing cold logic if we don't see a Rev D at WWDC

    I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll not get much sleep on June 6!
  2. voicegy macrumors 65816


    Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Me too.

    I now question your sanity but respect your bravado.

    Change that from "notebook" to "most Apple products" and I, too, can relate, embarrassing as that may be.

    Sleep, You must. Hope, We must have.
  3. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jul 30, 2009
    Thank goodness someone else echoes my shaming ailment!

    Hope supplies aren't running out anytime soon in here, in this forum alone we have so much hope it's probably reached tangibility by now and enough to make an MBA out of it!
  4. Jobsian thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Jul 30, 2009
  5. Scottsdale macrumors 601


    Sep 19, 2008
    LMAO. Dreaming of these updates. Any chance you're a fortune teller and have dreamt up things that have actually come true? Did you have a similar dream before the October 2008 update, LOL.

    In all seriousness, I think about the potential all the time too. I have imagined my new MBA and have a "wish list" all written up of things I plan to buy with the new MBA order. The truth is no laptop ever made me feel this way until the MBA came along. I never have spent so much time and energy thinking up the "magical" MBA Jobs will hopefully announce at WWDC. I have been truly waiting for this update since the June 2009 non-update/price drop debacle.

    I really hope that Apple also releases new LED ACDs. I hope for a 32/33" LED ACD in addition to the 27" LED ACD rumored. I want two of the largest ACDs offered. I also plan to buy a Mac mini Server if it gets the Nvidia 320m. I will also buy an AppleTV if it gets a cool update. Otherwise I will just use the Mac mini Server with a TV tuner and DVR software.

    I have to wait until mid/late June to buy all of these too. I hope that if the MBA is updated it's not available for a few weeks, because I will be so jealous if you all get your MBAs before me. But I do want it to be announced at WWDC, because of the emotional drain on my brain waiting for this damned WWDC update. I know it's possible it will not happen until late 2010 or early 2011, but I really cannot stand waiting that long.

    I will be extremely disappointed if the MBA isn't updated in June. Unfortunately, I don't have anything else to "upgrade" to, so it's MacBook Air update or bust for me. I cannot give up the MBA for my main machine even though I wanted to try and am frustrated with the RAM limitation. The truth is the MBA does everything I need it to do. It just doesn't do what I want it to do - run Windows in a VM. So I can keep my MBA running Windows 7 via BootCamp; it's a pain to have to shutdown/restart to get to the other OS, but it still does the job.

    MBA fans need to be rewarded for being forced to wait so long for a decent update following the October 2008 update. I hope Steve still feels that the MBA is the future of Mac notebooks. I hope they truly innovate with the MBA since they've left innovation out of the other recent Mac updates. Let's hope the MBA is still an important part of Apple's Mac strategy.

    Dang, now that's obsessive! LOL, but I am right there with you!
  6. voicegy macrumors 65816


    Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    O RLY?! :eek:
  7. Steven in VA macrumors member

    Oct 9, 2009
    to OP

    I share your embarrassing pain as well. Sold my Air 3 weeks ago--just the vaguest hint on MR that an update might come before WWDC pushed me to it--and miss it so badly . . .

    BTW, my Rev A 64GB refurb sold in five hours off Craig's List for $900.
    It's not just a great laptop, it's great art.
  8. godslabrat macrumors 6502

    Aug 19, 2007
    That's exactly where I'm at. The time has come for a new laptop, and the Air is really the only computer I'll consider. I've been using laptops for over 10 years, and even when I got my first one in 1999, I wanted something light, thin, and fairly powerful, with all but the most crucial components being external. Even before there was an Air, I liked the concept, and the Air just became my dream laptop when it was released. But, I really would like more than 2GB of RAM. My credit card is ready to go, and if I HAVE to, I'll settle for the Rev. C...

    But Apple, please don't make me do that. Please...
  9. coast1ja macrumors 6502

    Jul 13, 2009
    I haven't had any sub-conscious or visceral reactions to the suspense of waiting for the update, but I can tell you that I will be one of the first to order if there is an update.

    I (somewhat regretably) got off the MBA bandwagon some months back when I had trouble selling a 15" MBP... I wanted to make a sale, so I sold my MBA (those things sell like hotcakes on ebay) and kept the MBP for a while. I have found that the MBP is actually much more than I need on a day to day basis, but the MBA just wasn't quite enough.

    So I guess I will be ecstatic if there is an update, but not too terribly heart-broken should they not announce an update at WWDC.
  10. halledise macrumors 65816

    May 7, 2009
    Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    I have to admit to checking MacRumors and a couple similar sites quite a few times a day for any latest snippets of info and also to hitting the Apple Store just in case they slipped in an upgrade quietly.

    I've noticed the price of Airs on Australia's eBay has slumped a fair bit in the past week or 2 but that could well be iPad effect, though I suspect Air owners are 'doing a Jobsian' in anticipation.

    if there's a revision next week I can buy one before selling one and I estimate the change over to cost me around Aus$500-600 at current prices.

    if no revision, the price of Air's should appreciate until a refresh later in '10 or even early '11.
    that said, I believe there's a 70% chance of an announcement at WWDC next Wednesday morning (our time)

    I had a play with the new 13" and 15" MBPro's the other day but neh - the Air is a thing of beauty and a joy forever
  11. animan macrumors member

    May 1, 2010
    Just picked up a 15" i7 MBP with high-res AG display from the Apple store today. Was gonna wait for any WWDC announcements but decided against it.

    My physical need for a light-weight MBA like laptop seems to have waned ever since I got the Ipad. The MBP should be ok for occasional travel, also has enough power to be a desktop replacement.

    Wonder what I would get for a 2.13GHz/128G SSD MBA in good condition.
  12. thinkdesign macrumors 6502

    May 12, 2010
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) Sprint PPC6850SP)

    It's not the proximity, it's the propinquity. ------ Seriously, a thought occurs on the dream of 3G being added: If Apple adds it to one of their laptops, then they've just run out of excuses for not having it on all the laptops. Suggesting they all will get it, at the same time, someday. Like when Verizon's / Sprint's 4G networks spread to more locations than they have now. Or when Jobs retires. ---------- I wonder which car maker was the last one to store the spare tire outside of the car's body? For Apple to be the last significant laptop-maker to force us to have 3G modems dangling outside a laptop's case, is equally antique-looking, and ridiculous in 2010 !
  13. wildjohn999 macrumors member

    Feb 12, 2005
    If nothing gets announced I won't be getting a MBP 13 to replace this MBA 2.13 SSD, instead I'll just buy an iMac 27 and Applecare for this MBA.
  14. flynz4 macrumors 68040

    Aug 9, 2009
    Portland, OR
    As an owner of both the MBA 2.13 SSD, and the 27" i7 2TB iMac, I think you are making the right choice. If it wasn't for my wife wanting to take over my current MBA, I wouldn't upgrade now unless the upgrade was simply irresistible.

    I cannot think of any reason (other than financial necessity) why I would recommend a MBP over a MBA for people owning a powerful iMac and wanting a companion Apple notebook except in very specialized situations.


Share This Page