Those who are grandfathered in at AT&T, are you staying or jumping ship to Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jps1012, Sep 11, 2012.

?

Are you leaving AT&T (unlimited data) for Verizon?

1. Yes, Verizon is worth losing unlimited data.

25 vote(s)
    18.0%
  2. No, I want to keep unlimited data.

92 vote(s)
    66.2%
  3. Other, please explain below.

22 vote(s)
    15.8%
  1. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

So I have an AT&T iphone 4 with unlimited data. I live in NYC. I am leaning towards staying with AT&T to keep the unlimited plan. If everything was equal I would def jump ship to Verizon. Those in my situation, what are you doing?Any advice is appreciated.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Why would I leave AT&T when they have treated me ok...

3. maverikv macrumors member

I bought the 4s on release date. AT&T wants to charge me $250 PLUS upgrade pricing plus a new 2 year contract for a new phone. My ETF is $215. It's cheaper for me to pay it and go to Verizon. Which is exactly what I will be doing.

4. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

You don't mind losing the unlimited data? How much do you think your monthly data bill will be?

5. supervelous macrumors 6502

I voted Other. There is no AT&T LTE in my area yet, AT&T needs to be able to give me an accurate, specific date of when I will get LTE. If they are unable to do that, I will be getting Verizon.

If they do have a date for me, and it's within 3-6 months, and I can keep my unlimited data, I will probably stay with AT&T.

6. JLemm macrumors regular

I'm staying with AT&T. I was grandfathered in to unlimited data but usually never used close to 2GB a month so I dropped the unlimited and got a family share plan. I'm now saving $20 a month and I'm happy!

7. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

Switching

My AT&T in San Diego, CA 92101 doesn't have good connection for my iPhone 4 and please note that this is downtown area! I have unlimited data but because of the bad service, I cannot watch videos, listen to streaming music, surf the web even read emails properly because of the bad service and it is frustrating. And so with LTE, according to reports, Verizon in my area is still the best compared to AT&T. And so I'm finally switching to Verizon after all these years.

Unless someone can prove to me that AT&T is better in my area, please let me know for as much as I want to keep my unlimited data, it's not worth having bad service. :cool:

8. maverikv macrumors member

My bill will be pretty much identical right now at Verizon for 6Gb shared. I'm on a family plan with my wife at AT&T. My wife and I have never exceeded 4.5GB combined, so 6 should be fine. Plus as an added bonus, I'll have a reliable signal.

9. dkersten macrumors 6502a

I'm in the exact opposite position. I have unlimited data with Verizon but am considering jumping ship for AT&T because I will be studying abroad and want to keep my phone.

10. Orlandu macrumors 6502

Orlandu

Has it been confirmed that AT&T will allow grandfathered data plans to continue when upgrading to the new iPhone and LTE?

11. acarney macrumors 6502

Honestly, AT&T has been pretty decent service. The speeds where I live (metro population about 200,000 but far away from large city) are good and when I travel I get a solid 3G signal about 90% of the time. I also have a $150 MicroCell that gives me 100% coverage completely throughout my downstairs and good coverage upstairs. I also have an LTE iPad that is AT&T just in case I do want to join a share plan at some point. Unlimited data is my big hold out but if it's confirmed that even if you buy full unlocked retail to get the LTE service AT&T will push users off unlimited OR charge $10/mo more ill probably drop them. It's why I've kept my mom on my second line out of contract & I'm just 11 months left or something.

Really I just want to see what they do, if everything remains the same ill probably stick with AT&T BUT factory unlocked incase tmobile can get a nationwide network setup. If they're going to screw around with data or pricing, I may switch.

12. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I still haven't decided, which is kinda bad considering I should be pre ordering tomorrow. My area doesn't have AT&T LTE yet, so I was considering going to Verizon, where I have my iPad service. However, I was told at a local AT&T store that it should be coming to my area mid to late October. I'll probably stay with AT&T for now, but if LTE isn't in my area by mid October, I will return the phone and switch.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's what happens when you sign a 2 year contract. You never had a cellphone plan before?
    You cant get a full subsidy again a year later.
    At least AT&T is offering an early upgrade, when you switch to Verizon you wont be able to get an early upgrade from them.
    You either wait 20 months to get an upgrade or buy it full price.

14. maverikv macrumors member

I bought every single iphone on release date for upgrade price. Is it unreasonable for me to assume that this would once again be the case?

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Well considering you can get a new contract with current LTE phones and keep unlimited, I don't think they will change it.

16. jps1012 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jps1012

My Wife has an iphone 4s on verizon and she is on the unlimited plan. I have the iphone 4 on AT&T. Her bill is $83 a month mine is $75. Also she uses about 1.25 gbs of data a month and I used about 3 gbs. We are at about 4.25 gb a month. How much do you think that will go up when I switch to LTE? If I switched to verizon and did a family plan would our total bill be $160 or there tax and fees on top of that? Also can you use company discounts on family plans? What do you guys think I should do?

17. jargon51 macrumors 6502

I'm staying with AT&T. They have been pretty good to me and I have great coverage where I am and typically where I travel to. Don't know when LTE will make it to my area but hoping sometime soon.

18. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I was paying $100 for my iPhone and 2 basic phones with mine having unlimited data, no texting. I never went over 1-1.5 gig. My parents were interested in getting iPhones (at least one) and I started getting creative with the mobile share plans. Now I have the 10 gig plan with 6 iPhones after pulling in my wife and her family. I should be just under $300 with taxes and fees, so $50 per phone. I suspect 3 of the iPhones will use next to no data. Actually probably 4 of them. So I'll have most of the 10 gig to myself if I need it. Dropping down to the 6 gig plan is more expensive because the phones go up $5 each. VZW is $40 more because of how they would apply my smaller discount and their lack of discounts for phones. I pay $120 - 20% plus $30 per phone - $276. On VZW I would be at $100 - 15% plus $40 per phone - $325. $50 a month for 6 phones is a pretty big difference.

19. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

ill be switching to sprints unlimited LTE data.. all though their LTE is much slower than ATT, itll be nice having no throttling

20. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that.
    But it appears that's NOT what AT&T is doing any more. In my view, that's what happens when you have limited competition combined with toothless regulation. Compare what goes on here in the US to what goes on in the UK for example with respect to price structure for cell phone plans. Yes, I understand the differences in the market structure here, geography, population, coverage area, etc. But I also understand that there is more robust competition AND regulation there, and the pricing structure reflects that.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, it is. They announced a long time ago they're not doing that any longer. Sucks that they dont but it was a up to them and not in your contract to allow yearly full upgrades.
    So now AT&T does what every other carrier has been doing. If You sign a contract you need to wait 20 months to get another full upgrade.
    Next year when the new iphone comes out tell Verizon that you want another full upgrade, they'll laugh at you and tell you to pay full price:D

22. igetit macrumors member

igetit

I have an unlimited plan and I don't believe it is unlimited anymore. I know to some people FaceTime is no big deal but I for once have issues with AT&T expecting I am going to pay extra for it when I have an unlimited data plan. I am also due for an upgrade since I have an iPhone 4 and skipped the 4S but I don't think I will be cashing that upgrade.

Unlimited is unlimited, end of story. I am going to sacrifice my "unlimited" plan and move to Sprint once the iPhone is announced. First, I get to buy the phone as a new customer so it will be lower price and second, their plan is truly unlimited including FaceTime.

So long AT&T...

23. golfesv macrumors member

AT&T for me

I don't currently have unlimited but I am sticking withAT&T and bringing my wife who has VERIZON. They have faster 4G LTE plus 4G HSPA to fall back on. They have good coverage and decent pricing. This willl be my first iphone to boot!!

24. maverikv macrumors member

That's fine. When that happens we'll see if Verizon is stupid enough to make it cheaper to pay the ETF and switch carriers than it is to buy it from them.

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will do what they been doing for years.
    Tell you that you got 12 months left on your contract with them and an ETF of $230 remaining. What you decide to do is up to you but your high sense of entitlement tells a lot about your character...