Those who are leaving due to the headphone jack why will 2017 iphone be different?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Aug 7, 2016.

1. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I've heard alot that people wont upgrade this year due to the headphone jack yet are saying they will wait for the new 2017 iphone. Why is this the reason when the 2017 likely has no headphone jack again. Is the real reason is lack of design and not headphone jack afterall?

EDIT i meant not upgrading not necessary leaving.

2. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

It's both probably the iPhone design is starting to look dated with the bazels and the removal of the headphone jack which a lot of people use still.

3. bufffilm, Aug 7, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016

bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

People that are waiting for the 2017 iPhone are doing that primarily for the redesign.

If the 3.5" jack is indeed axed from the 2016 phone, maybe a forlorn hope that it'll reappear in 2017 if a big enough outcry is heard.

That's pushing it, if you ask me.

4. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

I'm not in the camp that cares about the headphone jack. I'm waiting for the redesign. I use Bluetooth now, and it works just fine. Others might differ.

5. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

I don't care about the headphone jack personally, also not fond of the 6 series design but no doubt I'll end up with the 7.

6. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

If response to the lack of the jack is highly negative it can be brought back.

Also, some may not be intending to come back to Apple if it's gone for good.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 603

The-Real-Deal82

Lack of head phone jack lessens the appeal to me but the biggest factor in not upgrading this year is the fact my iPhone 6 is still a brilliant phone. It seems silly spending £1000 on a phone contract when i'll do all the same things with the phone I have now.

8. MecPro macrumors 6502

If there is no increased RAM and other hardware improvements besides the processor, I probably won't upgrade. My 6+ is ok but would search for a 6s+ and wait for the 2017 release

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Leaving, to me, assumes you're going to another platform. Most other platforms aren't announcing the removal of the jack, so I think we are relatively safe there.

As far as comparing other platforms to iPhones, we've long discussed removable batteries and storage. Apple has never allowed either. We have always had both options, and continue to have, with the competition.

If you're implying "leaving" as just waiting to upgrade, I may be in that boat and my reasoning is twofold. First and foremost I haven't seen a compelling Bluetooth device worth my money that is good for sporting and getting absolutely drenched. The products I've tried all have their shortcomings, not the least of which are price concerns. I'd also like to see what sorts of adapters come to market. I don't need an incredible DAC for running and I don't expect one. My experience with Apple cables is they fray with lots of use and, if their adapter cable performs like their charging cables do there is no way a single adapter would last me the life of the phone.

10. jdaniel macrumors 65816

there's no reason not for me to upgrade, I can sell my mint 1 year old iPhone for a little less than 1/2 full retail brand new. if I sell it this year and buy a new one I lose less money than waiting for next year. Only makes sense to sell and buy new each year.

11. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

First off, there is nothing wrong with wanting to upgrade every year. But how is buying every year saving you money over buying every two? Using base iPhone prices you sell for $325 (a little more than you stated), pay $650, sell $325, and buy $650, and end up spending $650 total. If you waited two years to get a new phone you would sell for like $200 and buy new for $650, spending a total of $450. Maybe I'm just thinking of it incorrectly? Or maybe you are getting a contract subsidy?

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

That's pretty much the same for me. I'm due for an upgrade and a new device is always tempting, but I ask myself, what exactly do I need a new device for that my 6 isn't doing perfectly well?