those who bought 64GB ipads early on, how much space have you used?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ThereGoesJB, Oct 20, 2011.

1. ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

include a note of roughly what is taking up the most space

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I bought a 16GB iPad1 first go around and found it to be not enough space so I sold it @ cost to a guy overseas while it was still U.S. only launch and bought a 32GB. It was the perfect size. So when the iPad2 came around I went for the 32GB again. Problem is many app sizes have bloated up to 500MB to even 1 GB or more as graphics improve. So now my 32GB is nearly full -- though I am guilty of storing a few games I haven't played in months. But when iPad3 comes out I'd def be buying the 64GB. It's way more than I need but 32GB isn't enough for me anymore.

FWIW I do not have any music on my iPad and only 1 or 2 movies at any time. Most of the storage is taken up by Apps.

3. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I have a 64GB and I have used almost all of the space. Mostly with movies since I am always on the move and like having my library with me. This was my intended use of the iPad. For mobile media, so I had to buy the biggest.

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Have a 64Gig iPad with about 28 gig free. 16Gig for music, about 17Gig for apps (about 150). The apps grow at their own rate as they collect data.

5. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I have a 32 and I'm debating selling it and going down to a 16. *the economics behind the move actually have me coming out losing only 10 bucks on the deal - long story* So I'll be pocketing 90 bucks.

I have only used 2.5 GB, and I'd only be using probably 1.5 GB if I take Rage HD off (which I don't play).

I don't put any music or podcasts on my iPad - that's what my ever present iPhone is for. All I really do on mine is stream content, surf the web, and use apps like USA Today. My largest daily use app is probably Zinio, but as the latest issue of Maxim topped out around 30 MB I don't see myself running out of space anytime soon.

6. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

i have the 64gb iPad and have about 30gb free. 64 was probably more than i'll ever need.

7. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Just out of interest, can you share your top 10 space hogging apps?

8. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

+1

Always nice to have loads of space for movies for long-haul flights though:)

9. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I have about 27GB still free on my iPad gen1 64GB.

10. DIMEZ macrumors 6502a

DIMEZ

i know when a jailbreak comes put I will Use almost al of 64gb...im at half right now

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

This is a difficult question to answer and you're likely to get very different answers from people with the same app. Consider the following as an example.

I have a subscription to the New Yorker for my iPad. The app itself takes up a very small amount of storage, I assume. However, each week I download from 180-200 mg of content for an issue. If I keep the past issues on my iPad (which I currently do) I end up with 2gig of storage required after a couple of months. Similar issues arise, for example, for podcasts that are saved on your iPad.

On the other hand, I also have an app (YouNeedaMap) that included a vast array of maps for the US that is part of the app when I first downloaded it. That app requires 2.3gig of storage but it will never grow unless I add more content.

In short, because Apple associates storage of data with a particular app (on the iPad) in place of a common file system, trying to determine apps that are "space hogs" depends to a great extent on the data those apps store.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I understand. What I was really going for is are there very very popular apps that are space hogs that I don't know about? Kinda before I sell mine and downgrade the size for a Benjamin.

13. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I have about 23gb left. 12gb of apps. 10gb of music. 10gb of videos. And then some other things taking up some space.

14. zkaslow326 macrumors newbie

Out of Space

Every Blue-Ray movie I buy comes with a digital copy. I constantly change my playlist from month to month. As of right now I am using 61 Gigs and will replace it with another 61 gigs in a week. My total Library is 397 Gigs.

15. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Wow, that's pretty amazing.

I've never been one to watch a movie more then once or twice - so bringing along a catalog of re-runs is not something I would do. I DO have some movies in the entertainment center - mostly watched once, bought because I thought it was awesome, than never really watched again.

With a wife, kids, and a gaming hobby I just don't have the time to watch a re-run when I can watch something entirely new. That's just me though - which I suppose is why Apple gives you a choice of capacity. ;)

16. bniu macrumors 6502a

17. mwulf67 macrumors regular

Prior to iOS 5, I had my 64GB iPad 2 pretty much full...I had problems with the install and had to wipe and start anew...currently, I am using 25GB with 33GB available...18 videos @ 19GB, ~2000 photos for an unknown amount, a hand full of ebooks, and 62 app....I could easily fill the whole 64GB with just music; but I’ve decided, so far, not to add any music just let...I really didn’t end up listening to that much music though my iPad, like I originally thought I would...in another month or so, I will probably have the 33GB filled out with something...I am still glad my “problem” is too much space and not enough....

18. Macguy76 macrumors regular

Macguy76

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have

..13GB left. But a lot of stuff needs cleaning out.. It's a little like my mind...Cluttered.

20. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I suppose if I put my photos on it I would sink serious space. I don't do that either. So far for me its purely a consumption device.

21. TLewis macrumors 65816

That's true, but what's wrong with looking under "Storage" in Settings->General->Usage? (iOS5 only, takes a moment to appear)

On my 64GB iPad2, I have 54.4GB used, 3.7GB free. 40.6GB is videos, 6.3GB is Music, and Navigon is the biggest memory-using app at 1.9GB. Below that, various games tend to use up the most memory. Interestingly, the "Discovery - Bonjour Browser" app is the smallest one I have, at 576KB.

22. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

There's nothing wrong with looking at that information. The poster, however, was interested in what others had experienced. And I simply noted that two people could be using the same app and have vastly different use and therefore different storage profiles. What others experience is of very limited utility in determining what will happen to you.

23. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've got 32, but will get a 64 next year. I've got about 7gb free, but I haven't added much music and only a couple videos. The problem is that apps are getting bigger and bigger. Games, for sure. If I didn't have any games on my device, a lot of space would be freed up. Periodicals, too. Magazine subscriptions really add up after a while at 100-300mb an issue. Then there's stuff like navigation apps, file storage/management apps synced to Dropbox, etc.

My photo album is also at over 5gb and this is obviously just going to get bigger over the years.

24. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I only have 2.5GB free on my 64GB iPad2. Music - 11.3GB, Video - 15.5GB, Photos - 1.2GB, Apps - 23.1GB !!! Books - 4GB. Basically, if I have the space, I'll fill it. I use it a lot at home to stream music and films/tv to the Apple TV in the lounge. Some apps are huge, such as the hidden object type, Fifa and Rage HD. Some driving games are pretty big too.

25. fifi77 macrumors regular

I have about 23GB free at the moment, but that's because I haven't put my photos back on yet after my disastrous iOS 5 upgrade. Most of my space is taken up by apps and comics. I bought the 64GB because my original 32GB iPad was always nearly full.

I just got the 64GB 4S and that is full already. I have a massive music library, but I don't put any music on the iPad.