Those who have an ipad, do you still use your iphone 4 as much?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Game 161, Feb 22, 2011.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Just wondering as i use my iphone 4 alot and mainly for the same things I will use when I get an ipad next month. Do you find your iphone 4 sits and does nothing alot when you are at home because of the ipad?

2. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I've only played with them at Best Buy, but from that and what others have said, once you use the iPad for browsing, you can never go back to that tiny iPhone screen for anything internet related.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't have an iPhone, but I found that my usage for my droidx has went down the tubes thanks the iPad. I use that much more, for surfing, email, and just about everything I used my smartphone for. The only exception of course is texting and phone calls ;)

4. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

i use both for the same thing. However, when i'm sitting down relaxing, the iPad is a bit easier on the eyes. So, i use the iPad in that setting and the iPhone on-the-go. It works well for me. You'll find your nitch. Also, i've jailbroke my iPad and use that as a tethering option because of the increased battery Vs. iPhone. When traveling, bluetooth tethering is amazing!

You'll love your new iPad. Congrats (early)!!

5. pricej636 macrumors 6502

I still have a hard time using my iPad. I thought I would like it for browsing but I prefer my MBP. I thought I would like it for gaming but I find it awkward many times. I do like it for reading a book though. Im on the fence as to whether I am going to return it in my 45 day return window (rewardzone silver)

6. rayyu882 macrumors member

I used both the same amount but for different purposes. I use the iPad more on video type of apps, like youtube, Netflix, ABC Player, etc... I use most of the same apps on the iPhone 4 only when I'm on the go. Social Network apps, I like to use my iPhone 4 better, feels more personal. Also radio type of apps I only use on the iPhone since it's more mobile with that device. Web Browsing I use both but I do prefer iPad better with it's bigger screen size.

7. Travisimo macrumors 6502a

I still use my iPhone more simply because it's with me all the time. I'm not going to carry my iPad with me wherever I go, but my phone easily fits in my pocket. That said, if I am at home, work, or somewhere will I don't mind taking my iPad, I will use it to browse the web, play games, etc.

The truth is that even though both are iOS devices, they really serve different purposes. Calling the iPad a giant iPod Touch is a disservice. Apps that are specifically made for the iPad are very useful, and web browsing alone is worth the price of admission for me.

8. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I definitely use my iPhone 4 way more than my iPad. Like Travisimo said, it's a device that is with me all the time, so it certainly gets more attention. However, when I'm at home I do use my iPad to browse the web, read the NYT, check email, or read an ebook. But for the most part, I still use my iPhone for Facebook, Twitter, Words With Friends, email, etc. If anything, I don't use my MBP as much since it just sits on my desk. I really only use that to sync up my iPad/iPhone, edit photo's via Photoshop, and purchase music.

9. elan123 macrumors 6502

Agreed... different device, different key uses.

10. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

same as the above responses. I don't use the ipad near enough. my iphone's always with me so its simply easier to use because of it. when I'm at home I find myself using my MBP for other tasks. Seems like I only use the ipad when I make it appoint to use it. It's not my go-to device for anything.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I use them for different reasons. When I am at work or just out of the house, I use my phone for EVERYTHING. Reading, e-mails, instant messaging, surfing, etc...(sometimes I even make phone calls)

But when I get home, I hardly ever use my phone. I switch to the iPad. It's great for hanging out on the coach and surfing, watching videos, and a bunch of other stuff. I never really used my phone at home even before I got the iPad though. The iPad has really replaced my MacBook. I only use the MacBook now for storage and syncing. I carry the iPad with me everywhere around the house. That's what so great about it.

12. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

When I'm not home the i4 does it all for me, but when I'm home I use my iPad for everything. Only time my phone gets used at home is responding to emails or text.

13. MACiVoy macrumors member

Since getting the IP4 for verizon my ipad has found a new home on the shelf next to my toilet..

And yes I sanitize it daily..

14. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

My iPad is mostly redundant to my iP4 and Mac for everything except maybe reading books with the Kindle App, but my eyes still prefer dead-tree-based reading material when I can get it.

I wish they would split the keyboard on the iPad to make it easier to thumb type on... it would be such a simple option to add that would work in portrait and landscape screen orientations.

15. f00f macrumors 65816

Agreed. With all points.

I rarely use my iPad. I sit in front of Macs most of the day. When I'm mobile the iPhone goes with me -- it's super portable by comparison to the iPad and if I really have to look anything up online or whatever it's more than sufficient. Not to mention I can type much faster on the iPhone than the iPad. The keyboard on the iPad is just goofy especially in landscape. (I put in an enhancement request eons ago to split the keyboard but that served nothing more than to kill 5 minutes of my time.)

An MBA has since replaced the iPad for the rare times I'm on the road and need more than what the iPhone can offer for computing.

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I have an iPad and an iPhone 4. I use my iPhone just as much as before the iPad.

Now ask me how often I use my MacBook these days. The iPad has nearly completely replaced the MacBook. It can do almost everything I need - Keynote and connect via VGA to a projector, Citrix, email (personal and work), web, Pages, download/save/display PDFs (hurray for GoodReader), etc.

17. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Win.

18. greyshark macrumors newbie

Before I had the iPad I knew I wanted a larger iPhone for browsing and reading E-books.

The iPad therefore really suits me for casual use. When I'm home, it is iPad all the way, previously I used the iPhone a lot more.

i don't use my Mac very much now. Only for syncing and Photoshop.

The more I use my iPad the more I like it. It seems more elegant than my computer in use and the apps seem a more focussed way of getting the information I need. Maybe it's the way I have my computer set up but I find it slightly clumsier to use than the iPad. As always YMMV;)

19. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I personally don't see the point of having an iPad if you own a MacBook Pro.
    iPhone + MacBook Pro combo seems like the perfect fit to me.

20. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

I had an iPad for about 6 months. Then it was back to my MBP. I've always had an iPhone and the two were always perfect together also.

21. jeans94621 macrumors regular

jeans94621

Since I have gotten my ipad I only use my iphone 4 for talking, texting and some games that I enjoy on the phone better. But all surfing is done on the ipad. But my phone needed a rest because since launch day I have constantly used it all day for everything. I just brought the ipad last month. I don't know why I waited so long.

22. dontworry macrumors 6502

dontworry

This is what I have now and I'm seriously considering iPad2 to replace my engineering textbooks that are heavy and overpriced. Everything that I need is a pdf and can be printed if needed further. I plan on using the ipad for textbooks, magazines, and browsing(MR), my iphone won't change (basically the car computer and radio), and the macbook will be the lab report workhorse and autocad machine.

I thought I wouldn't want an ipad after getting the macbook but it has made me want one even more. Maybe there is something in the kool-aid after all.

23. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

Wait, why can't you use your MacBook for your engineering textbook .pdfs?