Those who made the step from the 4s to the 5:

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tnick777, Sep 22, 2012.

1. tnick777 macrumors regular

tnick777

Answer some questions for me.

How different is it?
    What are the best new features that the iPhone 4s didn't have.
    Are you happy with making the incremental step?
    Any other things you've noticed?

2. One-Shot macrumors newbie

http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/

and yeah I am happy with the upgrade, LTE, bigger screen, form factor and all.

3. QuarterSwede, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm curious as well, although I'm going to upgrade to a 5 as soon as the times get shorter and I sell my unlocked 4S.

About the only things I've noticed from watching videos of it for day to day usage is the larger screen, LTE in select areas, Lighting connector, and the ability to take a picture while shooting video. Everything else seems to be in the 4S (even Panorama).

4. bradfromjax macrumors newbie

1. Screen size is noticeable. I use mine for business so web browsing and emails are much better.

2. Design. Feels better in hand. More solid feel.

3. The Biggest thing....SPEED. LIke putting a turbocharger on a 4s. Everything from the camera startup to just browsing through apps and files on the phone. Thats what ive enjoyed the most.

5. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

1.) Personally I think it is a lot different, especially in terms of speed. The length of the 5 is not noticeable unless you hold it up next to a 4 or 4S. The weight of the phone is very noticeable, it is so much lighter than the 4S.

2.) The best new features are undoubtedly the LTE and faster processor, the phone is just impressively faster than my 4S. The panorama mode in the camera is pretty sweet too!

3.) I'm very happy making the upgrade, feel like it was well worth it.

4.) I got the black model, and the sides do nick up easily as noted by everyone who has used one. I got a small nick trying to put on the CaseCrown Lux Glider case I preordered. I decided to go get a Speck Candyshell instead since it has a soft interior that won't scratch up my antenna.

6. spades1412 macrumors 6502

1. Its taller, thinner, and feels much lighter. It feels snappier and faster, The 4s is no slouch.

2. The only "new" feature that the 4s doesn't have is LTE.

3. Yes, I'm very happy and so is my Son who is now rocking a perfect 32gb 4s.

4. see #1

7. tnick777 thread starter macrumors regular

tnick777

Those are specs, I want some qualitative reviews. LTE does seem like a great new feature.

8. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

It is pretty different. The second you hold you you will realize it.

The lightness is the first thing you'll notice, then the screen. After that you'll notice how FAST it is. LTE screams.. Its crazy, having never used an LTE device I am very impressed. Its definitely worth it to upgrade.

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

LTE alone is enough for me to upgrade. Toss in a bigger screen but smaller feeling form factor? It's totally worth the upgrade.

10. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

Couldn't be happier! This thing is so snappy it's sick! The battery life is insane, I had to power use it for a day and a half to get it through a cycle, the 4s would have been dead a long time ago. I love how light it is! The extra screen size and icons very cool. The wifi and LTE at blazing! The Bluetooth seems more reliable. Getting solid reception in all parts of my house including a couple areas that I used to drop calls in. Love the panoramic camera. Siri and the voice typing even more reliable than my 4S. The hardware on top of some of the IOS6 changes have me in very stoked!

EricE

11. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Anyone used Siri on speaker in a car dock (not near mouth) with road noise yet? Doesn't work that well on the 4S.

12. kramerica2 macrumors regular

For the last 24 hours i've been switching back and forth between the phones (untill i'll get my nano sim).

It is faster, it does feel a bit better and luxurious, camera in low light is way better, taller screen is nice to have, the display is a bit more vivid and that's about it.

Not sorry for upgrading, It's the best iphone yet, and probably the best smartphone yet. But you can wait another year with the 4S. It's still a great device and the second best smartphone in the world... enjoy it!

13. yang88she macrumors regular

me, love the extra real estate and loving the LTE :D

enjoying the black, light weight, and it is incredibly fast

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Honestly... it's nice but doesn't blow me away.

I was most excited about 4G LTE. In contrast to the coverage map and even a standalone posting on the verizon website from almost a year ago indicating that 4G LTE would be in my city and surrounding... I don't pick up a 4G signal in my house. As I go north, it gets better... I've seen up to 8mbps (I know, nothing l ike what it should be) but that's it.

I'll be curious to see what it's like in the city I work in. A coworker told me he's gotten 2x.xx mbps in his backyard in that city. So we'll see.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I also kept my 4S. Unless the differences thrill you it's about what I expected. Neither exciting or disappointing, it's just another incremental step in iPhone evolution. I could take it or leave it.

With some luck perhaps next years will be a bit more significant. But hey, it's Apple. That in itself is enough for most people.

16. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I made the switch, and I do not see this as an incremental step. Don't get me wrong... I LOVED the 4 and 4S. But this one seems like the phone that all others are trying to grow up to be. It's elegant, classy, light, and fast, fast, fast.

I'm loving it.

----------

The speaker is MUCH improved. Almost too loud. And I know everyone is complaining about Maps, but I used turn by turn directions all day today and they were flawless. Siri directed me to the way we locals travel, rather than the main drag every time.

17. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I don't get how people think the 5 feels more solid. It's made of soft lightweight aluminum. It feels incredibly light. This isn't a bad thing, but a lighter phone doesn't feel more solid to me.

The 5 does feel cool in the hands, it feels like it could be made of plastic it's so light. I'm a little biased because I love my 4S, but I have to admit that the 4S doesn't have that frail feel that I dislike.

----------

I agree with you 100%, keeping my 4S as well. It's an upgrade obviously but not enough to switch. 4 owners? Definitely an upgrade.

18. QuarterSwede, Sep 22, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Thanks for the response but what I meant was can Siri understand you? I have the audio piped through my car's sound system so I can always understand her fine.

19. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Basically speed, the ability to take photos while shooting video and a better front camera.

Those are the only real improvements from 4s to 5.

20. ccwestcliff macrumors member

After my iPhone 4 lock button didn't work anymore I had a reason to upgrade and was hoping for a bigger screen on the 5. The screen is a nice difference although for my taste it could be a bit wider. I understand however the idea behind it and think its genius. I had a HTC One X since May to bridge the time until now and having just one screen size (or two) makes a huge difference for app designers / developers and most Android apps look plain ugly compared to iOS because there are 50 different screen sizes out there for Android and that shows.
    So I am pleased after upgrading but I think I wouldn't have done it if I would have had a working iPhone 4S as the added features (bigger screen, better camera, nicer form factor) don't justify to spent about 500$ (after trading in an old 4S) just for this (unless you want to) :)
    I think generally Apple and iOS offers the best package in terms of ecosystem and I am glad to have a phone again (after Android) that manages Airplay to my Apple TV properly!

21. erzeszut macrumors regular

HUGE difference. I've owned every iPhone so far, and the only comparison I can make is from the original >> 3G. But I think this blows that away.

To me, each one of the following three features is a "game changer" and makes the upgrade worthwhile:

• larger screen
    • A6 processor
    • LTE capability

To have all three, plus the thinner body and lighter weight, plus the improved camera, makes this easily the most significant iPhone model upgrade, IMHO.

I cannot believe how zippy the phone is, not even considering network speed. Just opening and switching between apps is RIDICULOUSLY fast. I never thought the 4S was slow, at all. But this is unreal.

22. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

The new iPhone in comparison to the 4s to me and as mentioned by so many others, the speed. Everything from booting up the phone to Web browsing speed. App launching to the camera operation... Just faster at all tasks.
    Other Small observations I've made:
    The audio both listening to callers through the early speaker to music through the external speakers
    Also the microphone, just sounds better on the other end of the line
    The home button is more solid feeling. Hard to explain but it's more 'substantial' feeling
    LTE is absolutely unreal in my market
    35 down and 30 up yesterday measured consistently. You can't buy that speed on cable here! Insane speed!
    The connector is awesome!
    Battery life is sensational :) it's truly a marked improvement
    Couldn't be happier
    My wife is now enjoying my 4s-- Lot!

23. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Yep, but then again, she understood me on the 4S too.

24. Blinny83 macrumors member

Agree wholeheartedly with all the posters so far. This new device is elegant, SUPER fast, and just a joy to use. I was completely satisfied with the 4S, but this is a significant jump in quality. Much bigger upgrade than 4 > 4S. I honestly can't think of anything more I'd want from a smartphone. Well, besides better LTE coverage in my office! ;)

25. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

So, if you don't have LTE coverage in your area and won't for a while, would anyone still recommend the upgrade from the 4S to the 5?