Those who 'strongly disapprove' of Obama performance equals Bush numbers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dsnort, Dec 22, 2009.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Gotta admit, Obama has accomplished something in 11 months that it took "W" 8 years to do.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/richman/202451

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Bush had the benefit of following Clinton. Then he made a mess. Cleanup time!

3. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

But think of how much better Obama should look after the debacle of Bush! ( And Bush was a debacle).

But he doesn't! What's the problem???!!!

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

He's not a magician?

5. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

The problem is reality is still there regardless of who is president. There is no magical reset button that will make the nation suddenly buck up.

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

Because he inherited the worst recession in recent history, two wars, a crumbling financial system and a crap healthcare system which is being blocked from reform by corrupt and stupid Republicans?

People are just going to be happy because he's there? He's not superman!

:rolleyes:

7. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Worst first year ratings could have something to do with coming into office in one of the worst environments of any president.....

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Exactly. Previous administrations (and I include some Democrats as well as Republicans) have let everything go to hell, and now Obama is supposed to magically fix it all up. It doesn't help that the solutions he's promised are being undermined by his own party.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

People blame Obama for things done during Clinton and Bush. Bank and home loan deregulation that happened with Clinton, and 2 extended military operations (No war has been declared) during Bush.

People seem to forget that the President is not magical and it takes time for policy changes to surface. I mean it took 10 years for the deregulation of home loans to hit the whole of the housing market, bringing it to it's knees.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Everything I was going to say and more.

I love that "world leader" is in such a mess with itself, it's a joke, if America is such a world leader, why can't it get the basic things right???

I feel sorry for Obama being elected really, he's got so much to fix in such a short space of time.

12. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Our country isn't nearly as bad as it seems you think it is. Seriously.

13. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Oh I know, it's all the media outlets overblowing everything and republicans blowing steam at every oppertunity (I'm not that stupid), it's just funny that America is regarded as a super power, but when it comes down to aligning with the rest of the world on the simple topic of healthcare, it's like trying to turn water into gold...

All I can say is nobody likes change, but if it's for the best, then just shut up and be thankful you're getting a good deal out of it.

The death panel argument makes me laugh so hard, I remember reading somewhere some ignorant republican saying thats what we have over here too (UK), in the many times I've had major and minor hospital visits, I've not once seen a death panel.

Hell, without the NHS my mother wouldn't be alive right now. Heart conditions aren't fun. Thank god we live in a country where healthcare is not just for the rich.

For all it's faults, I fully back the NHS, without it, we'd be utterly f*cked, we don't know how lucky we have it here.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Just like I did w/Bush, I'll reserve judgement until closer to the end of the term 'cause a year in office just isn't enough time to turn a ship around that's been going in one direction for the better part of eight years.

Lethal

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Obama has made some mistakes (in my eyes at least) and those a going to ding his reputation. That in addition to the environment he was thrust in to just exacerbates the negative outlook people have. In other words, I'm not really surprised by this.

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Considering the source doesn't give a run down of were the number came from, I'd be interested to see it. How many people were polled? Any other polls support this claim?

Sorry, but one poll from a fringe source just doesn't cut it. More importantly, I think a conversation about Obama would be more interesting, but the logic "lots of people agree, so I'm right" would be a rather dull conservation(also the number hear aren't totally clear)

(also this wonder of the source of those numbers worked on Bush's '04 campaign...I'll be wait eagerly for better source of numbers)

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Bush didn't have the crappy economy until his later years. I imagine that when the economy starts to get back to something that isn't considered a recession, things might change. The more interesting part of this is that if there was an election today, who thinks Obama would lose?

18. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Who, if I may be so bold as to ask, would he hypothetically be running against?

19. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

This.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

My point. Who knows and would it matter?

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is what happens when you say one thing and do another.

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, this is no time to bring up "compassionate conservatism"... ;)

23. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Uh, yeah. Are you suggesting that if Obama runs against Sidney the Wonder Ferret, he's going to lose?

Sid must really be a fiscal conservative.

24. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

I do miss President George Bush from time to time - mostly all the time actually - each day I expect to arise and acknowledge Obama/Biden being a nightmare we awake from at some point and say "Wow that was gruesome"... Yes the "compassionate conservatism" was infinitively preferable to what we have now...

Who?

25. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

See my question to thegoldenmackid and his (non)-answer