Those who 'strongly disapprove' of Obama performance equals Bush numbers

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
In January, George W. Bush left office with a "Strongly Disapprove" rating of ... 43 percent. It took Bush eight years to achieve that level of strong disapproval, despite how the mainstream media pummeled him for years. Obama has reached that level in 11 months, despite a media that for months could not use his name in a sentence without also adding "Lincoln" and "FDR.
"
To appreciate the magnitude of Obama's ratings fall, consider that after his first full day in office, his presidential index was positive 30. Today's index of negative 17 reflects a swing of 47 points in less than a year.

A commenter at the Huffington Post today observes that Obama has "accomplished the remarkable feat of both demoralizing the base and completely turning off voters in the center." The president has also unified the Republican party and created a tea-party movement that in some polls is more popular than both the Democratic and Republican parties.
Gotta admit, Obama has accomplished something in 11 months that it took "W" 8 years to do.

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/blogs/index.php/richman/202451

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
Bush had the benefit of following Clinton. Then he made a mess. Cleanup time!

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
But think of how much better Obama should look after the debacle of Bush! ( And Bush was a debacle).

But he doesn't! What's the problem???!!!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
But think of how much better Obama should look after the debacle of Bush! ( And Bush was a debacle).

The problem is reality is still there regardless of who is president. There is no magical reset button that will make the nation suddenly buck up.

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN

Because he inherited the worst recession in recent history, two wars, a crumbling financial system and a crap healthcare system which is being blocked from reform by corrupt and stupid Republicans?

People are just going to be happy because he's there? He's not superman!

:rolleyes:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Worst first year ratings could have something to do with coming into office in one of the worst environments of any president.....

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68020
Feb 14, 2004
OBJECTIVE reality
Because he inherited the worst recession in recent history, two wars, a crumbling financial system and a crap healthcare system which is being blocked from reform by corrupt and stupid Republicans?
Exactly. Previous administrations (and I include some Democrats as well as Republicans) have let everything go to hell, and now Obama is supposed to magically fix it all up. It doesn't help that the solutions he's promised are being undermined by his own party.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
People blame Obama for things done during Clinton and Bush. Bank and home loan deregulation that happened with Clinton, and 2 extended military operations (No war has been declared) during Bush.

People seem to forget that the President is not magical and it takes time for policy changes to surface. I mean it took 10 years for the deregulation of home loans to hit the whole of the housing market, bringing it to it's knees.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com

People are just going to be happy because he's there? He's not superman!

:rolleyes:
Everything I was going to say and more.

I love that "world leader" is in such a mess with itself, it's a joke, if America is such a world leader, why can't it get the basic things right???

I feel sorry for Obama being elected really, he's got so much to fix in such a short space of time.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Everything I was going to say and more.

I love that "world leader" is in such a mess with itself, it's a joke, if America is such a world leader, why can't it get the basic things right???

I feel sorry for Obama being elected really, he's got so much to fix in such a short space of time.

Our country isn't nearly as bad as it seems you think it is. Seriously.

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
Oh I know, it's all the media outlets overblowing everything and republicans blowing steam at every oppertunity (I'm not that stupid), it's just funny that America is regarded as a super power, but when it comes down to aligning with the rest of the world on the simple topic of healthcare, it's like trying to turn water into gold...

All I can say is nobody likes change, but if it's for the best, then just shut up and be thankful you're getting a good deal out of it.

The death panel argument makes me laugh so hard, I remember reading somewhere some ignorant republican saying thats what we have over here too (UK), in the many times I've had major and minor hospital visits, I've not once seen a death panel.

Hell, without the NHS my mother wouldn't be alive right now. Heart conditions aren't fun. Thank god we live in a country where healthcare is not just for the rich.

For all it's faults, I fully back the NHS, without it, we'd be utterly f*cked, we don't know how lucky we have it here.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Just like I did w/Bush, I'll reserve judgement until closer to the end of the term 'cause a year in office just isn't enough time to turn a ship around that's been going in one direction for the better part of eight years.

Lethal

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Obama has made some mistakes (in my eyes at least) and those a going to ding his reputation. That in addition to the environment he was thrust in to just exacerbates the negative outlook people have. In other words, I'm not really surprised by this.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Considering the source doesn't give a run down of were the number came from, I'd be interested to see it. How many people were polled? Any other polls support this claim?

Sorry, but one poll from a fringe source just doesn't cut it. More importantly, I think a conversation about Obama would be more interesting, but the logic "lots of people agree, so I'm right" would be a rather dull conservation(also the number hear aren't totally clear)

(also this wonder of the source of those numbers worked on Bush's '04 campaign...I'll be wait eagerly for better source of numbers)

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
Bush didn't have the crappy economy until his later years. I imagine that when the economy starts to get back to something that isn't considered a recession, things might change. The more interesting part of this is that if there was an election today, who thinks Obama would lose?

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Well, this is no time to bring up "compassionate conservatism"...
I do miss President George Bush from time to time - mostly all the time actually - each day I expect to arise and acknowledge Obama/Biden being a nightmare we awake from at some point and say "Wow that was gruesome"... Yes the "compassionate conservatism" was infinitively preferable to what we have now...

... runs against Sidney the Wonder Ferret...
Who?