Those Who Terrorize: Should We Keep Them Around?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Apr 15, 2013.

1. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Fair enough. My thoughts stem from the sensationalism surrounding the recent murders (guns, explosions, stabbings) in the United States and the world. Should these people be spotlighted in the news?

My opinion is that their names should be kept out of the media, the stories limited to facts (covered once by the AP) and if proven guilty they should be dealt with swiftly and lethally as to be forgotten forever.

2. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Our justice system is not infallible. Sometimes the wrong person is put away. Your solution could end up killing these innocents.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I would agree that we shouldn't necessarily put the spotlight on them so much. But at the same time people deserve to know what is happening, and keeping the criminal's names out of the media would just lead to more conspiracy theories than there already are about these types of events.

Also our justice system is not infallible, and speeding up the process in death penalty cases would only make it worse. Just think, what if with the bombing today someone gets arrested and executed, then a few months later it is found out that that person was actually innocent and just in the wrong place at the wrong time. If we kill that person then are we any better than the people who actually did the bombing? Not to mention the fact that depending on who is behind this executing the person who did the actual act of setting the bombs would just turn them into a martyr and bring up even more people in their place.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I disagree.

Covering up the problem ... and violence and murder in the U.S. are huge problems ... won't make it go away.

And I don't see how you regulate the media sticking to "just the facts".

What would be the penalty if they strayed from that rule?

5. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

My thought process on this, obviously imperfect, is that sensationalism is causing more events to occur than already are. Do I have much backing on this? Probably not enough to hold up in court but it seems it is happening a lot more than ever and I can't help but wonder what role the media has in this by creating fame for these sickos overnight.

I doubt fame is their only motive but I can't help but believe it isn't a motivator to go through with it.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm not disagreeing with that premise.

I just seems to me that the measures necessary to achieve that goal are currently unattainable.

Attraction to sensationalism is an inextricable part of our culture.

I see your goals as being aspirational, if a bit unrealistic.

7. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Any ideas on what could possibly curve such heinous crimes from happening?

I'm just curious what other's thoughts on this are? I see people feeling for the victims and remembering them but I haven't seen the outrage and anger that I would expect towards those causing such pain.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Some of us are a bit tired of the anger and hatred at this point.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

A few more millions of years of evolution might do it.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Better mental health services, restricting access to guns and bomb making supplies, including the FBI checking up on abnormal purchases of large amounts of chemicals or fertilizers that could be used for bombs. And to reduce terror attacks from foreign sources mind our own business and don't go randomly invading countries, and don't turn the terrorists we do catch into martyrs.

Of course you can never totally prevent them from happening, but some of those things could help reduce the frequency.

11. renewed, Apr 15, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013

renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Edit:

After careful consideration I understand your point. I am too. I just don't have any sympathy for those who caused this and I don't like the idea of them breathing and the innocent victims not being able to.

12. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can't have a swift trial for death penalty. Death penalty cases take over 10 years to come to fruition (http://timesdaily.com/stories/Death-penalty-cases-take-longer-to-complete-as-debate-continues,16221) and rightfully so. As the innocence project has shown, there have been plenty of people falsely imprisoned.
    If you really understood the injustices happening in the court system, you would never support the death penalty.

13. zin macrumors 6502

Yes, and they should live the remainder of their lives with their freedoms forfeited, permanently locked and isolated in a prison, IMO.

14. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The problem is that killing people does not equate to killing the belief system behind the violence. The only way terrorism wins is if we let them win by curtailing basic civil liberties and rights (as we have been doing steadily since 9/11). We're losing the war because we have allowed ourselves to deviate from our ideals. In any war the side that loses faith in its ideals is the one that loses. Far from restricting civil liberties by summary execution, we should be meticulous about following the due process of law and the ideals of the US. If the outcome is capital punishment, then so be it. If not, then so be it.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

That might be because the causes of the problems are not quite as obvious as you might want to think. Terror is enacted by terrorists, while those causing the underlying problem are typically watching the aftermath on the evening news. You cannot fix terrorism by killing terrorists, this much has been demonstrated time and again.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Just keep in mind that revenge is a completely different animal than justice.

17. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

It's hard not to blur the two with such a tragic situation.

I understand the importance of a proper system of events for justice (investigation, interrogation, trial, etc...), I'm just glad someone else is in charge of it as I would be hard pressed not to take them out back and be rid of them on the drop of the guilty gavel.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Do you support the continuing operation of Guantanamo Bay?

19. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

If the government wants to set up certain "prisons" for terrorists separated from other ones I see no issue; as long as those being held have a proper trial.

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Surety of punishment if a far more effective deterrent to future criminal activity than severity of punishment.

I say that because, not only is it true, but catching an offender quickly and then punishing them openly and within our system is a far more effective deterrant than killing someone.

21. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why do we need special prisons? If we have more than we need of anything in this country, it's prison cells.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which isn't really an answer. There are people in there that have been there for over ten years and they haven't been charged with anything and have had no trial.

Another question then: should the perpetrators of the Boston bombing, now called a terrorist act by the government, regardless of who they turn out to be, also be sent to Guantanamo?

23. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Any facts to back this up?

You want to share a prison cell with someone that killed 2,000 people for not paying your taxes?

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

What about the unacceptably high % of citizens who were convicted and sentenced to death, to be discovered later they are innocent. How does that play into your neat and tidy scenario, hmm? :)

25. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

If they are found guilty, who cares? Someone who will kill the innocent doesn't deserve consideration past a trial.