Those who use iPads for University/business meetings

Discussion in 'iPad' started by snowydog, Sep 19, 2011.

1. snowydog macrumors 6502

I'm going to use my ipad2 for uni this year and for business meetings also.

I'm wondering for those who already use it at uni - does many in your class use it? are you the only one? how do you feel?

I'm a bit of a loner at uni and I'm in my final year - I do a sports science class and not many of my classmates have ipads (unless they got over the summer)/..quite a few use their laptops in class, others just sit there and listen and don't do any writing - I feel like they'll be looking and talking about me when I take out my ipad to write my notes... I don't care too much, but they are that stuck up I'm pretty sure I'll get some looks and whispering ... suggesting I'm "showing off" or something...

In business - I'm pretty sure people are more impressed...but uni is different - don't like many in my yaar (I have loads of friends outside of uni but never gelled with anyone in it, and most live on campus and have their wee groups)

Anyway - just curious as to how you're perceived when you pull out your ipad and start writing

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I don't think you'd be thought of any better in a business meeting if you had an iPad. In my field (video & web) if I brought an iPad to a business meeting I'd be looked at oddly because it's rather pointless to try to use in a meeting situation.

3. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

I use Mindnode to take notes and Omnifocus to organize. I use Pages when I need to write simple reports.

4. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I work in telecommunications sales, and I use my iPad on a regular basis. I've only used it for note taking in the occasional meeting though, but I do use it all the time to arrange follow up appointments, check emails, and of course to show brochures and presentations.

It goes down very well, and more importantly it's very functional.

5. mystik610, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

mystik610 macrumors regular

I'm the only one in my classes that uses an iPad, though I think I'm starting to convert people in my class. People are genuinely impressed/interested in how capable the iPad really can be. I'm in an evening MBA program and most of the students in my class are balancing working full-time and taking classes part time. Organization and portability are key, and the iPad works wonderfully in this capacity. We do a lot of group work in my classes, and all of the groups I'm in are utilizing drop-box collaborations to manage documents. The ability to sync documents from drop box into good reader is a big plus for me.

Oh flashtop has saved my @$$ a couple of times. Being able to remote into my PC or Macbook at home is a huge benfit. Forget to load a file onto my laptop? Remote into my PC and view it from there...or e-mail it to myself....or sync it to drop box to download onto my iPad

As far as iPad for use in my office....many people in my office own and use iPads, but typically not during the work day. But many of us do use our iPads when travelling or working from home or away from the office. I work on a lot of M&A transactions, and unfortunately, these deals don't start at 8 and end at 5.....being able to work efficiently on the go is a big plus on the iPad. On top of the typical exchange syncing, our IT department has set-up the Citrix App, and allows us to remote into our desktop and office network from the iPad. The iPad essentially has access to all of the resources we have in the office, and that is huge.

6. TheGenerous macrumors 6502a

TheGenerous

Use it in grad school for dropbox and textbooks (in pdf). During class I still write in paper and then take photos of the notes for uploading to dropbox.

7. donnaw macrumors 65816

I started taking a Windows tablet to meetings in about 2003 or so. Yes, this was when most folks used pen and paper. I used OneNote and the stylus. Yes, I got a lot of weird looks BUT the tablet and software allowed me to do my job much more efficiently.

You are still young. Don't let what others think of you hinder you. If your iPad allows you to perform better then forget everybody else and go for it. It's your life and your success depends largely on how you perform. Use whatever tools you have to succeed.

Good luck

8. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I use my iPad in all business meetings and in my uni classes. Several folks at work use iPads for notes and I have seen at least one other person use it for class. To be honest it beats using paper and pen, no more misplaced notes and I have all my notebooks at once with at all times. I use a stylus and a program called NoteShelf.

9. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

I've been using my iPad for college. I still use a pen/notebook to take notes, but what is ideal for me is the ability to download and save books and .pdfs to it or my Dropbox. I have all documents for all of my classes at all times. In the pas,t I would have to walk halfway across campus to print them out and bring them to class, but my iPad has made it so much easier. Not to mention that I don't have to sit in front of my computer to read them anymore. I've gotten better at typing and i use iCal for somethings, but the iPad has really made my life easier. I've also been able to take my portfolio and my working designs to my job on campus, which is really easy too.

10. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I use my iPad for business meetings. I find that they are less intrusive than laptops are, as the don't create a physical barrier. I find it very useful as do a lot of the people that I work with.

11. RossMc, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I take mine in, Couldn't care less what people though anyway. Theres actually a few people in some of my lectures who use iPad's but most people use Macbook Pro's and a few use windows laptops.

Did you do freshers week when you were at uni and stay in halls? That was where I met most people I know at uni from going out every night plus the people I lived in halls with then you all just end up meeting other people through each other etc. I'm still living with one of the people I was in halls with now plus three other people from different halls.

I could see how it could be harder to meet people at uni if you missed out on freshers week and didn't live in halls and don't end up going round to different halls on campus etc.

12. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

Nah I didn't do freshers week and have never stayed in halls as it takes me about 20 mins to drive. I don't have one person that I could call friendnat uni. I guess I isolated myself by not getting involved. I have loads of friends from school and college and I'm engaged so never had time to go out or meet up with ones so my fault really. It's gonna get to me in final year....especially with group work and choosing groups to be in

Seeing as no one bothers with me and I dont bother with them, i may as well not Care what people think. I can't wait to try out my iPad for uni and see how it helps me and how I use it.

I'm also looking forward to using it at work too when I go back next week.

13. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I have a friend who regularly uses an iPad for his video/film production meetings with clients. He records the meetings with one of the iPad apps that records audio and marks any typed notes with a timestamp from the audio recording. He notes what agreements were made in the meeting with clients and distributes those agreements after the meeting. The clients understand why he's doing that and they support the recordings. Nobody gets looked at oddly.

It sounds like a nice way to ensure that everyone is in agreement about those critical conversations from the meeting.

14. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a good idea, ensures theres no 'you said this,' 'no I didn't situation, which sometimes happens.

Might give that a go myself. I have notes plus so I think I'll stick that on record, and any notes I need to make then I can and it will tell me what part of the conversation they were made :)

15. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

You might want to use some nice self-powered omni microphone to do the recording. One feature of using an external mic is that it's completely obvious to everyone that the meeting is being recorded. Unfortunately, I don't have any good recommendations for a microphone.

16. EvenStranger macrumors member

I think ultimately, the decision comes down to you... If you find that it improves your effectiveness, your attention and/or your grades, who cares what everyone else thinks? The exception would be if the instructor or the meeting leader found it a distraction, and then you could discuss it with them afterwards, explain how exactly your using it, and hopefully find a compromise that lets you use it without distracting those around you.

17. HERO XXL macrumors regular

I too, use an iPad for grad school and using it continues to pay off. I've actually converted about three other classmates thus far--and I'm working on two or three more. It's not as if I have to work hard to "sell" the iPad--my classmates simply see what I do and realize how easy it makes everything. From downloading the required texts, taking pics of diagrams drawn on the board rather than drawing them myself, screen capturing entire chapters and emailing them to classmates that haven't purchased the books...the possibilities are endless. The professors themselves are even impressed--when they are running short on handouts, I simply take a pic of them (w/ my phone) and pass them along. It's finally gotten to the point that I can walk in and out of class with ONLY my tablet. Believe me--no one will look down on you because of your use of it--they'll actually want to see all that it can do!!

18. Pete the Geek macrumors regular

I'm an educator and I often use my iPad to take notes in meetings. I use a stylus and I've been "auditioning" a seemingly endless list of notetaking apps. No one has ever put me down for using an iPad. In fact others have taken out their iPads when they saw mine!

Last year when I was still trying to write with my finger I was the target of a bit of snark about "playing" by someone who didn't know me well (and should have known better).

I don't use the iPad for notetaking in the classrooms I visit because the kids always take it away to play games! I also find I can't write fast enough on the iPad to use it for one-on-one meetings.

19. palpatine macrumors 68040

I second this. I leave my backpack and MBP at home most days, and only take my iPad + keyboard to class in a man purse. No one laughs when I come into class carrying a bag that weighs about as much as one of their textbooks. No one laughs when I sit anywhere I want, because I don't need outlets. And, no one laughs when I read anywhere I want, because I have digitized my books and don't need to be trapped in the library :)

20. mystik610 macrumors regular

Bought a stylus and attempted to take notes by hand in penultimate. Did not work too well....I write much faster on paper, and couple the fact that you tend to write larger on the iPad with the fact that you have less room to write on, and it became counter productive

21. lilo777 macrumors 603

Yes, people will think you are weird and could not afford a normal laptop.

22. snowydog thread starter macrumors 6502

If you use notes plus then u can use the zoom in features....it's so easy and you can write fast and it's small on the paper.... Honestly give it a try....ey are introducing handwritten to text in the next update and few other bits and pieces. Really intuitive and so easy to learn.

23. mystik610 macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it.