Those who were deciding between the Stainless Steel or Sport Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by The Game 161, Aug 29, 2015.

1. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Those who paid more to get the SS version did you pay the extra amount as you see it lasting you for a fair few years? as resale value wise selling a watch that cost you £500-600 for example you might only get 200 odd back.

And those who bought the sport watches as the cheaper option did you do this so it gives you a more affordable option to buy the next version if you so choose?

2. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

3. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

I really want the SS but the price is putting me off when the sport does the same thing..do I want to pay an extra £300 just for a better look hmmm

4. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Yep. No way am I paying the price of a SS when it'll feel old in one year's time.

I also prefer the look of the SG Sport. The space black SS is the only one that beats it IMO but again the price is too high and for this one even €100 more than the regular SS with link band.

In general I don't feel any version of the AW is pretty enough to warrant any price higher than that of the Sport. Maybe if a thinner version comes out in the future. The AW just looks a bit too bubble-like in general.

I'm in this to test the functionality and see how it develops, and just to have a bit of fun. For that, the SGS is all I need and am prepared to pay for.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

IMHO the SS looks substantially better than the lower priced models. And it seems it is much more durable since I have read repeated complaints of wear, chipping, discoloration and skin irritation with cheaper models.

6. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

I have none of the issues on your list with my SGS & I love it.

A couple of threads in an Apple forum are no proof and don't mean anything when it comes to the frequentness of issues with any device.

7. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

The SS looks better and is compatible with more straps. Those are the main reasons why I upgraded from the sports to the SS. I spent so much on watch straps (£530) it didn't make sense to keep the sports model.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I was on the fence, and couldn't decide a couple of things finally pushed me over to the sport side of things.

I chose the sport because of the weight, I tried both on and felt it was a good balance, especially when I ran. on trying on the SS, it felt more prone to move around a bit more being heavier.

Price, you're paying a premium for the materials, its the same exact watch.

Gen 1 product, I figured while everything should be fine and work as expected, I wanted to minimize my exposure so I opted for the less expensive model.

External usage, I run a lot and I wanted the increase viewing of the ion glass over the sapphire.

Scratches, the SS will incur scratches, will it be a scratch magnet? Who knows but I didn't want to deal with buffing out the scratches every so often. Am I overblowing this issue, perhaps but when I'm ready to drop 600 dollars for a SS apple watch, the idea of having to deal with scratches did not really make me feel better.

I also opted for shatter resistance (ion glass) vs scratch resistance. I'll throw a zagg screen protector on it and I'll have high scratch resistance.

Overall, this is a personal decision, I gave you my thoughts on why I chose the sport over the SS, but that doesn't mean that's the best for you.

9. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

Thanks for your responses. Think I'm decision will be based on how long I have it for. I can't buy SS for £519 if I'm only going to upgrade every year. £350 is very doable but I do love the SS model so if I get it I must tell myself I can't upgrade it to the 2 otherwise I would lose too much money

10. shortcrust macrumors 6502

Simple for me. Sapphire crystal and stainless steel. My last watch had a sapphire face and I know how I obsess over scratches to my iphone. It's worth the extra for that alone. I think the stainless steel looks much better and actually suits a few scratches and dings. It's a working metal.

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Looks and durability got me and I went with the 42SS. I do not expect to recover much of the money in a year or two so there will be no disappointment.

12. srshaw macrumors 6502

I went with the ss because it looks better. I convinced myself it will last a few years, which it will, but probably in a cupboard once the next model comes out (assuming of course it is better).

13. HOODFIELD macrumors newbie

I started with the SGS thinking I would save the money. After a few days of wearing it and realizing this was something I would be wearing everyday (even buying a SG steel band off Amazon) I returned it for the SS version. The SS looks great with any band and any outfit. The Sport looks great in a T-shirt and the sports band and thats about it. The Sapphire display looks fantastic and you don't need any type of screen protection. If you have owned a handful of watches in your life there is no doubt you will appreciate the craftsmanship of the SS. But the great thing about the watch you can buy one try it out and return it if you want to try the other so really no matter what anybody says the best option is to try both for yourself because you can.

14. Apples n' Stone macrumors 65816

Apples n' Stone

I prefer the look of the SS and wanted a premium watch, as someone who is used to wearing SS watches it would be a bit too 'tacky' for my taste. But it is a smart watch, so different I suppose.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I was going to get the SS but when I did my try on session I realised I actually preferred the look of the SGS (the SS ones were too blingy for me) so that's what I got

16. tonoboon macrumors regular

tonoboon

For me SS for sure , If I've money enough I'll go to Edition .
    Why the price should come first ?
    I don't decide just because the price , if I have to wear it everyday , I concern about the feeling when I wear it.
    Apple alway support device around 3-4 year , even iPhone 4s could install iOS9 .
    that why i bought SS ,

Rolex Submariner change the strap and basel when new model come out but not everyone change to new model .
    Daytona everose and stainless almost the same just different material why many people buy the gold .

17. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

SS looks better, sapphire glass, I'll be wearing it all the time, I don't intend to resell, and my other stainless steel watch was $500 and that one just tells time.

18. Enygmatic macrumors 6502a

Enygmatic

If I were to buy one myself, it would've been the SS version. I don't wear gold, and am not particularly fond of the shiny aspect of the SS, so I was considering getting the Space Grey Sport. Knowing my work environment, and damage-prone areas on previous watches, I would opt for a sapphire screen option. (Like many others I'm sure, if they offered a sapphire/Sport I would have been all over it.)

Wife is awesome, knows my tastes, and bought me the 42mm Space Black SS for my birthday (with only cursory hints that she DOES, in fact, wear gold). I got her the smaller version of the same Watch - mainly so we can enjoy the Touch aspect.

19. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I believe the aluminum on the sport is less prone to scratches. Mainly due to it be a harder metal? Definitely due to it not being polished.

Be prepared to get scratches on your stainless steel case. You can polish them out though.

20. The Game 161 thread starter macrumors G5

The Game 161

can to
    Can you use anything to do that with?

21. Nell macrumors 6502

Originally I thought I liked the stainless steel version best but didn't want to spend that much on a first generation product. When I went and had a proper look I realised the stainless steel just looked a bit too slick for me and that I preferred the silver aluminium version, which is what I now have. I have a Milanese loop to smarten it up (especially when I'm wearing jewellery) but mostly wear it with a sport strap (I have both black and white).

I'm slightly coming back round to the looks of the stainless steel version though but I'm not sure I like it £180 more (and I still think it might look too corporate on me).

22. FriendlyMackle, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015

FriendlyMackle macrumors 6502

FriendlyMackle

Yep - agree - I have the SGS also, since June - and it still is in perfect condition. And I've accidentally whacked it a few times on different things (chair, wall corner, table...). :)

EDIT: Well, almost perfect condition: I can't seem to record voice messages (in texts)! I only recently attempted to do so - and the microphone will not activate.

23. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Some of the things listed as pros or cons on here may be the opposite for you.

I bought the SS version because it's heavier. I expect a watch to have some heft. Plus, the nicer materials, build quality and sapphire screen were all bonuses. One isn't really 'better' than the other, though.

If you can only afford the Sport, get the Sport. If $ isn't an issue, your best bet is to find a nearby Apple Store and try both models on. Apple may get a lot of flack, but there were right in insisting on making several versions - watches are personal items so only you will know what you like.

24. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

I like how the sapphire crystal screen of the SS just doesn't get scratched. However, I think the SS Watch should have the same finishing as the Link Bracelet. I don't really like the current shiny glossy finish.

25. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Tell that to some of the people over in the iOS forums. A few of them have the same "issue" and then all of a sudden they claim 90% do as well.