Those who work out with AW and swing their arms a lot, do you still pick up notifications?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kylera, Nov 10, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I run, and running is one form of exercise that requires regular arm swinging.

Since one of the biggest reasons I'm getting my Apple Watch is to stay on top of notifications and calls, I'm curious as to whether the vibration can be set strong enough so that even when you're swinging your arms, you can still feel it.

I know that my Forerunner's vibration is strong enough that I can feel it 100% of the time regardless of how fast or slow I'm going (not that I can run that fast). Would you say the AW's vibration is strong enough?

2. bholt6 macrumors newbie

bholt6

If you turn on Prominent Haptic you probably won't have any issues feeling your notifications. It produces audible notifications as well but I always have it in silent mode.

3. TxWatch macrumors 6502

TxWatch

I have been running with my Watch 3-4 times a week for almost a year and I rarely feel the notifications while I am on the move. I have had mine set to Silent Mode and prominent haptic since day one. I have heard others who say they feel theirs when running so there may be a difference between the models. I have an original 42mm Watch Sport and I only carry my phone when I am calibrating my stride length. (Very seldom)

Not feeling the mileage notifications does not bother me because I have been running for more than 20 years and I use the time to get away from the distractions. My Watch keeps track of my steps, which is all I really care about because my work's insurance pays me for staying active each day. It is pretty easy money... :cool:

TxWatch

4. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I've developed a special run where I pin my arms to my side and run with no arm swing. This makes it easier to get my notifications. I also have developed better balance after falling a few times and scraping up my face.

5. tromboneaholic macrumors 68000

tromboneaholic

If you set Haptic to maximum and add the "prominent" haptic before notifications (it's about a one second long buzz), you should be good. Also, wearing the Watch tightly will help distinguish between a notification and just the Watch jiggling around.

If you do happen to miss a notification, there is always the little dot at the top of the screen.

In the end, you are the only one who can judge if it works for you. Apple has a 2 week return policy if it doesn't.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would still like the option to turn on my phone notification sounds while using the watch but I know this is against Apple's "plan" for the watch.

7. julesme macrumors regular

Yes, I think you'll notice when you receive notifications. I think the key is to make sure haptic is set to maximum. I swing my arms when running, and it's pretty obvious when I hit a mile marker or other marker (halfway point, etc).

Also, I have prominent haptic turned "OFF" and I don't have any problem receiving notifications.