Those with past Best Buy preorder experience?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by randy98mtu, Sep 10, 2012.

1. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

How does Best Buy do on pre-orders? I bought a Galaxy S3 there last week and as much as I've tried, I'm just not in love with it so I want to exchange it for an iPhone 5. I tried to return it outright today, but was told I would not get my $30 activation fee back from AT&T. If I exchange it though, I will not be charged another activation. So I'm wondering if I'm safe to preorder with them, or should I get a 4 or 4S for my dad and use my dad's upgrade to preorder my 5 from Apple?

2. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

If I remember correctly, they usually don't allow pre orders. It may be different this year however. I'm gonna try and buy at best buy since I have a gift card there but if not I'll just buy through Apple. It's only $50.

3. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Thanks. The more I think about it, I'll probably just wait to see what Apple does for the low end phones and get one of those from Best Buy. Then preorder the 5 on my dad's line and call AT&T to swap them (since the sim card seemingly won't be the same.)

4. goatlink macrumors newbie

good best buy experience

Bought iphone4 using best buy pre-order. Went in to pre-order and in 5 min did so.

Day of launch of iphone 4 went in and in less than 15 minutes got new phone, activated.

From my experience, untapped gem resource in best buy for getting new iphone, way better than att/verizon/apple stores in terms of lines, hassels, etc.

planning on getting iphone 5 through best buy preorder

just my 2 cents

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

$50 gift card reserves your actual phone. It's not first come first serve but your phone. Walk in, pick up, walk out, done.

6. randy98mtu thread starter macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

Wow, that does sound pretty smooth. Do they only have a certain number of gift cards then? I don't see how they can just keep selling gift cards and promise each individual a phone on launch day. Guess after the announcement I will go back to Best Buy with my Galaxy and see what they say.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

7. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

It pays to reserve sooner rather than later due to obvious supply concerns. With the HTC Evo they were still fulfilling preorders for months due to supply issues.

8. meiskru macrumors newbie

9. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I did a "preorder" at BB for the 4S. Got the $50 card and was told that I would be called when my preferred model (64GB, ATT, white) was available. This was on day 1 of the preorders. For whatever reason I was wary of the deal, so I went to the Apple Store at 10am on launch day and was in and out in 10 minutes with a new phone. Used the BB gift card on something else.

They called me in January to tell me my phone was available. Seriously.

10. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

going to best buy after work as I had no luck online