those with unlimited verizon data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by himynameiscody, Jan 1, 2012.

1. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

so will this unlimited be around when 4g is more popular? that's why i planned to keep it...is it over 2gb they throttle? and how much slower is throttled?

edit: if i get a 4g phone and paid for mobile hot spot does that mean i could run everything in my house on it? 4g is faster than most household internets

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

4G would not be faster than my home Interent. Not even close.

3. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

i saw 4G speeds posted and i have Cox internet. cable or broadband, idk. and it looked like the speeds people posted were higher than my internet at home

4. irDigital0l Guest

You get grandfathered into unlimited data for the time of your contract (2 years). After that they can drop it or do whatever they want.

5. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

HTC Rezound 4G
    [​IMG]

my room computer using wifi

[​IMG]

my iphone 4s, low signal in my house if that makes a difference

[​IMG]

----------

i figured i'd get to keep it as long as i just renew and didn't change anything

----------

nexus. a lot of these 4G phones are faster than what my PC gets on wifi. Stealthipad, can you do a speedtest for your home internet since you say 'they're not even close'

[​IMG]

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well my friend was on the unlimited data $30 plan on his Droid X but had to go to the 4GB $30 plan when he got his Galaxy nexus.

So no.

7. chrisbetty macrumors 6502

What if you renew your contract while your still on your 2 yr will it be grandfathered in then?

8. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

is 4gb enough for 4g for an average/moderate data user

9. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Very interesting thread.

I wondered the same thing. My wife and I both are on the unlimited data plans. She has a samsung galaxy S (orig.) and I have an iPhone 4S. I wondered about doing the following:

-- add a line (get a new 4G phone on that line) and pay for something like 2GB data
    -- switch the 4G phone to my line or my wifes line.
    -- Root phone/turn into mobile hotspot.

So then one of us will have a limited data plan but I've been keeping a spreadsheet/chart of our data usage over the last year+ and RARELY do we go over 2GB/mo. I mean like once or twice did we ever.

So it sounds like, according to this thread, that plan may or may not work...?

10. irDigital0l Guest

No idea, we'll just have to see what Verizon does, they might loosen this when 4G comes which makes sense so they won't have to strain their 4G network.

Yea I bought a Verizon iPhone 4 right when it was released in Feb this year, the deadline for unlimited data was in June so when my dad bought the iPhone 4S in Oct, he had to get a 2GB data while I was still grandfathered.

11. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

for most peoples home internet it's pretty close actually. If they ever try to drop unlimited 4g from my plan I will be gone faster than

12. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

what about adding a line for $10, getting a 4G phone that will tether throughout the house....whether you root and do that for free, or just pay the hot spot tethering....either way won't you be saving money if you can cancel your home internet? and if you kept a low data plan on your personal phones you could always use the wifi that will pick up the 4g phone...i know with verizon, mobile hot spot has unlimited data, at least i was told. so even if you didn't root and had to pay tethering fee it wouldn't be bad, but rooting it would be even cheaper.

also am i wrong to say most household internets are slower than 4g? the poster up there acted like 4g wasn't even nearly close to the speed of his house internet

----------

what about throttling? at what point does that kick in, and how much slower would it be till the end of you billing period

13. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Double the Data

So Verizon has the double data promotion going on right now if you have a 4G device. For $30, one gets 4GB of data instead of 2GB. I'm wondering if they are still throttling at 2GB. Why double the data if they are going to throttle on you?

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

yea

15. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

also for anyone that wants to tether just on occasion to a laptop or PC check out PDANET....i used it on my blackberry when our internet was down at home. free and easy to use.

----------

stupid question, but if one person had 3g and one had 4g and they did the exact same things, would the data size end up being the same? obviously the 4g would get things done faster.

----------

how much speed do you lose if you're throttled? i have unlimited. i'm gonna log onto verizon right now and see my data usage for this month.

16. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Yeah, if you're right (and I am not doubting you) and a "tethering plan" is unlimited data, then yes, it would be cheaper to just add a line, then get unlimited tethering data on that phone. Add a line for 9.99 and tether data for (maybe) $29.99. For a total of $40. To get 4X.xx MBPS?!?! That's fast. Don't care what anyone says. I get ~8mbps on my Time warner broadband AT THE MOST. I went to my parents house for the holidays and did a speed test on theirs and it was like 26mpbs. I almost **** myself.

Anyway, it seems like it may be worth the ~$40-50 to add a line, 4G phone, unlimited tether data, give time warner the middle finger.

----------

Yes. think of it this way: 3 people download the same file. the file is 1mb. the first person is on 56K modem, the other on DSL, the last on 4G on their phone. The file size will not change -- only who gets the file faster.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yep. Right on

18. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the nexus for a couple weeks, only reason I returned it was because the camera was awful in anything but sunlight .

4g on Verizon flys ...30mb/10mb consistently for me. Didn't try tethering but I don't think you could run more than 2 or 3 devices that would use the Internet at the same time. Even with it plugged in charging I think it would deplete the battery

19. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

Now that July 7th has come and gone, Verizon is no longer selling unlimited data plans to smartphone owners, but luckily those of you who already had unlimited data were allowed to keep it. The even better news is that even if your unlimited data plan was a 3G one, upgrading to 4G would not cause you to lose that plan (for now). Verizon has no wanswered a tweet to clarify 4G tethering for those same customers.

Verizon had been offering 4G hotspot tethering for its LTE phones for free up until it the same day it swapped over to tiered data plans. Those who already had 4G plans at that time had to sign up fot an unlimited tethering plan for $30 a month. Customers with 3G plans were left wondering what would happen to them.
    It looks like even if it is putting the shackles of capped data on new customers, Big Red is being nice to its current smartphone customers. If you upgrade from your current unlimited 3G smartphone to a 4G phone and decide you want to pay for a tethering plan, Verizon will give you the same unlimited tethering plan it made available to those who had unlimited 4G before July 7th.

so maybe rooting won't work unless you already have a 4G unlimited phone...if not you still gotta pay for the tethering...but for 4G speed and the fact you can use your personal phones wifi maybe you could get a smaller data plan on that phone. not to mention canceling your internet service.

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon...imited-tethering-plan-on-4g-upgrade-20110708/

also, don't our iphones have a wireless hot spot? my phones in the other room.

----------

dang really =/ i'll create an extended-extended battery lol and have it plugged in the whole time

----------

also saw this stating the mobile hot spot is unlimited data...kinda funny convo too lol

Lekita: I can help you with the hotspot feature. May I have your name and number please?
    Robrecht: Just plain old Robrecht, 123-456-7890
    Lekita: Thanks Robrecht! May I have the last four of the social?
    Robrecht: 0000
    Lekita: Thanks for the information Robrecht.
    Lekita: I do see that you have the 4g device and can add the 4g hotspot feature.
    Lekita: The hotspot feature is 4g and it is unlimited access.
    Lekita: It is also 30.00.
    Robrecht: What about adding and removing it on a prorated basis?
    Robrecht: Lekita, are you still there?
    Lekita: Yes.
    Lekita: I do apologize for the delay.
    Lekita: If you remove the feature in the middle of the billing cycle then you will be charged partial of the fee of the feature.
    Robrecht: Prorated at $1/day? I've also been told that it is the same as the former tethering feature, ie, that it can be added and removed on an as needed basis. Can you verify that, please?
    Lekita: If you remove the feature then you will be charged partial of the feature.
    Robrecht: Yes, I understand that. Is the partial fee $1/day?
    Lekita: It will be 15.00 for the month.
    Robrecht: Earlier, you said it was $30/month.
    Lekita: Yes. It is 30.00 per month but if you remove the feature in the middle of the billing cycle if will be 15.00.
    Robrecht: Are you sure about that? So, for example, if I use it for 1 day, I will supposedly be charged $15???
    Lekita: Yes if you remove the feature.
    Robrecht: This is very different from what others have been told when adding this feature. Can you point me to where this policy appears in writing?
    Lekita: I do apologize but there isn't a policy.
    Robrecht: Then how do you know that I would be charged $15/day??? Why are some people being told they will only be charged $1/day?
    Lekita: Because that is the way that it works.
    Robrecht: Seriously??? Different people are charged different daily rates without any kind of policy?
    Lekita: Would you like to add this feature?
    Lekita: Are you still with me?
    Robrecht: I want further clarification about this pricing, for which you say there is no policy. What you are saying is VERY DIFFERENT from what I was told by Elizabeth on July 7th. Elizabeth said that she would verify the policy her supervisor and get back to me but I haven't heard back yet.
    Lekita: It is a dollar a day.
    Robrecht: So you were wrong earlier?
    Lekita: I wasn't understanding you correctly. I do apologize for the confusion.
    Robrecht: So can I add and remove the feature several times in the same month, the same way I used to be able to do with the tethering feature?
    Lekita: Yes.
    Robrecht: Thank you. Can you please annotate my account that this is the policy? I do not need it today but I wanted to verify the pricing for when I go on vacation next month.
    Lekita: Okay. Is there anything else that I can do for you tonight?
    Robrecht: No, not tonight, thanks.
    Lekita: Thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless. It was my pleasure assisting you and I look forward to speaking with you again. Have a great day! If there’s nothing else, please click close to end this chat.

20. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

When I get back home I will but there is not even a comparison as my home and office are one in the same and I have a T1 line which is kinda out of the reach of DSL and 4G stuff. The last tiem I checked it was running 1.544 megabits per second which is a slower T1 line.

21. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

ahhh T1 gotcha

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You are very funny.:p

23. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

havent been throttled yet and have used over 10 gbs per month.

24. himynameiscody thread starter macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

:confused: