Those Yanks are revolting!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iStudentUK, Oct 20, 2011.

1. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

(Please read with a stereotypical upper class English accent)

I say, those rapscallions in the colonies have been getting away with treason for far too long! No decorum at all. I say they need a damn good thrashing.

I nearly dropped my monocle when I read this-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15345511

I have since sent Jeeves (my manservant) to fetch my top-hat and coat so I can speak to the Prime Minister at once to ensure this wretched behaviour is not allowed to continue!

Ok, on a more serious note, this article got me thinking. What do people think about asking or declaring independence? It happens a lot on a large scale (Tibet, Palestine) as well as a small one (see here). How do we decide which ones to take seriously and which ones not to?

2. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Easy. We ask the French, if they decide to step in and help you fight for your freedom, it should be taken seriously. Too bad their military is irrelevant today. :D

As for the article, interesting read. But a bit redundant. It was like 250 years ago, who cares? It's not like anything will come of it. Oh yeah, omgz, the US was totally wrong and we're still part of the UK. :rolleyes: These lawyers need to stop wasting their time, this issue has been settled a long long time ago. Stupidity.

3. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Those baguettes are pretty pointy! Their armed forces are quite impressive today, in the world top 10.

Of course it's redundant, I doubt they were taking it seriously! It's just interesting to think how things have changed today, what if Scotland unilaterally split from the UK, or Texas from the US... would it be recognised by the rest of the world?

4. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Probably not. What the US did was legal by 18th century standards and will remain that way. It's a but more complicated in the 21st century. Probably because the trend now is to unite the world as much as possible, not continue to fragment it. I think in a few centuries there will be one global government.

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

6. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I hope it's illegal.

I want that universal healthcare you guys have going on.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

If we get the States back, we'll have to send them ace stuff like jaffa cakes and HP sauce and in return we'll get things like aerosol cheese.

This must never be allowed to happen. The Queen should sort something out sharpish.

8. likemyorbs, Oct 20, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Nah you don't have to send us Jaffa cakes and hp sauce because most of us don't know what those things are. I know I don't. We will however, send you guys fat cat sandwiches. Mozerella sticks, chicken fingers, and French fries covered in marinara sauce on a hoagie roll. Mmmm. It's a new jersey thing.

Also, we will send you guys a couple of dentists. Before you know it you'll have pearly white and straight teeth like so many of us have. :D

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In a revolution the politicians and lawyers will be massacred first. Problem solved.:D

10. Teh Don Ditty macrumors G4

Teh Don Ditty

The question is, do you really want us back?

Yea, that's what I thought.

The thought of having healthcare is very appealing... WE'RE SORRY!!! CANE WE PLEASE COME BACK TO YOUR PLACE MUMMY AND DADDY!?!?!

11. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Well, iStudentUK, if you guys had just given the colonies some representation in Parliament, we wouldn't have been such cheapskates on the taxes! :cool:

In all seriousness, even if the Crown and Parliament had acceded to some of the demands of the colonists, I think it would only have delayed the inevitable. The Revolution was preceded by nearly a century of near-autonomy, not just governmentally but socially as well. Yeoman farmers and tradesmen, treated as lower-class in Britain, were considered gentlemen in the colonies. Basically, America invented the middle class. (Of course, we seem hell-bent on destroying it now, but that's another story...)

The "legality" of the DoI, while an interesting debate, might be moot. Laws are meant to serve societies, not the other way around. When two societies (the Old New and the New had separated) can't agree on a set of laws, what else is there?

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Legal, illegal, it really does not matter. Regardless of it's status, England would have never peacefully agreed with the concept. In a situation like this if a group is defiant and physical conflict erupts, it is settled by blows. One group or the other will prevail.

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I invite you brits to come over and try to take this country back.

;)

14. iStudentUK thread starter macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Bah, you've had 250 years of rebellion and the whole place is ruined now! :p

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Aww.. Come on. you know you want to take us over!!

:D

[edit]

pretty please ?

[/edit]

16. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

We'd love to own the US really! :)

The only question is whether China wants to sell? ;)

17. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

We've been downgraded. What else do you want ?

Want us to invade you first ?

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So is there any kind of sensible framework to say that...

The US independence movement was legal
    The secession of the South was NOT legal
    The independence movement in Libya is legal
    The independence movement in Palestine is not legal
    The independence movement in Taiwan is in some nebulous grey area which consists of all Western leaders saying it's legal as long as China isn't looking in their direction?

It seems to me like the idea that civil wars are "legal" is like the idea that acts are "war crimes." The legality is principally determined by whether you're on the winning side and if regional / global powers choose (according to gut, not to rules) to recognize you.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Good Heavens Jeeves

I'm NYC by birth, Welsh by heritage, and consider myself to be bi-lingual (actually I speak 4 languages)

Is one suggesting that if one were born in the United Kingdom, one is somehow better than those of us "Mutts" ?

20. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Sadly, I'd say this is pretty spot on. History is written by the victors, and all that?

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You already send us those lovely things when we're nice to you. ;)

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Beautiful. :cool: You saved me looking for the link.

If it will bring the brilliant Peter Sellers back, I'm all for it. :D