Thought I’d wear a Fitbit and my series 4 today to compare calorie burn

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Apparently the software is still unbelievably off on Apple Watch. I didn’t even go to the gym but I burned 3200 calories? Yeah right. Top is Apple Watch bottom is Fitbit. 700 calorie difference

Anyone else?
[doublepost=1541058754][/doublepost]My resting energy AND active seem super high. I looked back on the last summer and even last year. My normal resting energy would be about 2000. Now it’s 2500? And for barely doing anything today I got 700 move calories. What In the ever loving hell man

Attachments

winterny

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
Sounds like you either have some incorrect data as far as height/weight, or the watch needs to be recalibrated, or something else is wrong.

I am quite active and do not see numbers like that unless I was very active in the day.

Reactions: Mansu944

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Sounds like you either have some incorrect data as far as height/weight, or the watch needs to be recalibrated, or something else is wrong.

I am quite active and do not see numbers like that unless I was very active in the day.
All my info is current and correct. I never changed it. All this calorie burn craziness has only come since watch os 5. Looks like some others are experiencing this too. Was hoping watch os 5.1 would fix it but apparently it didn’t

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/active-calories-really-off-and-inflated-series-4.2144737/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/crazy-active-resting-calories-counts-apple-watch-series-4-nike.2148571/

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
Mines the same, have a series 0 on watch os 4 and a series 4 on watch os5.1 (didn't get bricked!) and wearing both at the same time (series 0 is paired to different phone) all workouts are about 20% higher on the watch with OS5 - already calibrated when OS5 came out. Calories throughout the day, not during a work out are about 30% higher on the OS5 watch.

Reset the Series 4 back and did not restore from backup, exactly the same

All my info is current and correct. I never changed it. All this calorie burn craziness has only come since watch os 5. Looks like some others are experiencing this too. Was hoping watch os 5.1 would fix it but apparently it didn’t

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/active-calories-really-off-and-inflated-series-4.2144737/

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/crazy-active-resting-calories-counts-apple-watch-series-4-nike.2148571/

Reactions: Ghost31

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Mines the same, have a series 0 on watch os 4 and a series 4 on watch os5.1 (didn't get bricked!) and wearing both at the same time (series 0 is paired to different phone) all workouts are about 20% higher on the watch with OS5 - already calibrated when OS5 came out. Calories throughout the day, not during a work out are about 30% higher on the OS5 watch.

Reset the Series 4 back and did not restore from backup, exactly the same
So I’m not totally crazy! (Or maybe I am. But for other reasons) this has been one of the most irritating experiences ever since updating to os5 last month as someone that watches their calorie burns like a hawk. Thought at least one of the updates would fix it but nope. Tried recalibration more than once. Nope. When I got my series 4 I started as new just because. That didn’t help either. So I’m just kinda stuck like is there nothing we can do? Are we really just waiting to see if future updates fix it when they already haven’t after a month? Ugh. I keep trying different things trying to figure out where the bug is and if I could fix it but no dice. If Apple at least acknowledged the problem like they’re working on it I’d have a bit more faith.

$600 Apple Watch and can’t even track my activity as good as a $100 Fitbit. Not cool man. Super not cool

ttforever

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2015
It was the same when watch os4 came out, I don't think they ever fixed that properly either, but at least it was consistent - what annoys me about the current one is its really inconsistent. I did 3 walks of 3 miles at a similar pace and the calories varied by over 150 and varied by at least 30 calories per mile.

So I’m not totally crazy! (Or maybe I am. But for other reasons) this has been one of the most irritating experiences ever since updating to os5 last month as someone that watches their calorie burns like a hawk. Thought at least one of the updates would fix it but nope. Tried recalibration more than once. Nope. When I got my series 4 I started as new just because. That didn’t help either. So I’m just kinda stuck like is there nothing we can do? Are we really just waiting to see if future updates fix it when they already haven’t after a month? Ugh. I keep trying different things trying to figure out where the bug is and if I could fix it but no dice. If Apple at least acknowledged the problem like they’re working on it I’d have a bit more faith.

$600 Apple Watch and can’t even track my activity as good as a $100 Fitbit. Not cool man. Super not cool

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
It was the same when watch os4 came out, I don't think they ever fixed that properly either, but at least it was consistent - what annoys me about the current one is its really inconsistent. I did 3 walks of 3 miles at a similar pace and the calories varied by over 150 and varied by at least 30 calories per mile.
Did you try calibrating?

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
Yep when os5 came out and then tried totally wiping watch,not restoring a backup and exactly the same
Debating with myself whether to get a Fitbit termpoarily until this is all fixed. The numbers matter to me

Ghost31

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 9, 2015
I don't get it. How do you know either is the "correct" number?
Well starting with the Apple Watch, I’ve paid attention to my calorie burns for years. I was a personal trainer for awhile so I’m familiar with basal metabolic rates and tdeee’s and how the body is effected by things. So when for years I’m used to seeing that I burned 2800 total calories in a day and then all of a sudden that number shoots up by hundreds of calories all coincidentally after an os update, it stands to reason there’s a bug. As well as the fact others have made posts about overly inflated numbers as well.

I wore my Fitbit and my numbers were much more in line with what I’m used to. So it’s definitely gotta be a giant watch os bug that only effects some people for whatever reason.

As for accuracy, I’ve had a dexa scan before and those numbers align with what I used to get on Apple Watch pretty well on Watch os 4. Watch os 5 is just all over the place. I can do nothing all day and blaze past my move goal and burn 3000 calories. That’s just not normal.

For a rough estimation, you can look up a tdee calculator online and input your information and get some useful numbers. Not 100% accurate, but will give you an idea of what you should burn everyday. My sedentary number is around 2400 calories a day. What Apple Watch says is 3000. When you notice a 600 calorie difference, it’s kinda annoying