Thought I felt some sort of surge in Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DubLogic19, Sep 4, 2011.

1. DubLogic19 macrumors member

I was sitting in a downstairs bedroom with my Macbook Pro plugged directly into the wall with the extension on the airmag charger when the air conditioner cut on. When I heard the a/c I had my hand resting on top of the surface of the computer beside the trackpad and I felt a vibration from within my Mac. I'm kinda afraid my macbook is gonna be damaged perhaps. Is anybody familiar with such occurrences?

2. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

I've felt this too, and I know other people have had similar experiences. It's rather bizarre, and intermittent, but it's almost as if the metal casing is conducting the electricity from the charger.

3. GrannySmiths macrumors newbie

I've not felt anything like that. Do the chargers not have surge protection within them to stop additional power going through?

Although, sometimes I have my MBP sitting on my legs when wearing shorts, and if the charger touches my leg I do feel a burning/tingling feeling. It don't happen all the time, only on occasions.

I've just put up a thread about 3 of my MBP chargers breaking. Maybe there is some sort of fault with them.

4. swedefish macrumors 6502

My PowerBook G4 consistently gives me small shocks. I have gotten used to it :s

5. AML225 macrumors regular

Are you guys using the 2 prong plug instead of the 3 prong?

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

No

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

This. The 2 prong plug doesn't ground the machine, so it's possible to feel a tingling sensation from the laptop. Apple is not the only company to have this issue, however. The Dell XPS M1530 also has this issue when using a two-prong AC adapter. (I assume that's why every time they replace one, it's replaced with a three-prong version).