Thought SSD’S were supposed to be fast

trifid

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2011
Not sure if the company will do this. It seems their policy is just to replace the machine with a new one when its time to upgrade.
I had a 2014 mac mini with regular hdd, it was so infuriating to use, I couldn't believe how ridiculously slow that thing was. The issue was random slowness/hiccups. That 30 sec delay sounds like what I was getting. So I plugged in an external usb3 ssd, and used that to bypass the internal hdd. Night and day difference.

Howard2k

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2016
So, I think we can summarize that, perhaps surprisingly, some different computer configurations with some different software loads will have different performance results? Huh, learn something new every day.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I had my coworker on her Mac Mini launch Excel for the first time after a boot and it took about 30 seconds. Yes faster than my HDD but much slower than launching Excel 365 in Windows 10 on a SSD. I thought SSDS were supposed to be allot faster for running MS Office apps. Besides Office 2016 on Windows blasts away the Mac version. I use Outlook and Excel everyday at work and they have many more features.

I guess until I go SSD or get a new machine I will either be patient with Office or rather run iWorks apps instead which launch in seconds on my HDD.
It is a common misunderstanding that SSD's must be as fast as memory.
First: memory is ACTIVE memory, SSD is PASSIVE memory, like a huge USB-stick.
Second: SSD behaves like a HDD and is restricted to communicate through disk interface hardware and software.
If anyone needs to speed up their system to the most: fill it up with memory,
if your data size exceeds memory size, think of a huge SSD too.
And do not invest too much in CPU power if you don't need it.
;JOOP!

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
Excel 16.16 takes around 8 seconds on our iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) machines at work. For some reason it takes way longer than the old version of Excel.
You do know that Office 2016 has now been upgraded five times since V16.16? It's now at V16.16.5.

Office 2019 is now at V16.20.

Lou

dangerfish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Word launches in about 2 seconds on my 2 yr old MBP with TB and Excel launches in about 3 seconds. Running Version 16.19

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
how do the apps perform once opened? am not arguing that apps should open slowly, but, more importantly... do they work well? and how many times a day do you, for example, open word, vs opening a word doc? just curious. i'd be annoyed if a program took a long time to open, but much more annoyed if it did not do it's work well.

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
www.cerm.info
how do the apps perform once opened? am not arguing that apps should open slowly, but, more importantly... do they work well? and how many times a day do you, for example, open word, vs opening a word doc? just curious. i'd be annoyed if a program took a long time to open, but much more annoyed if it did not do it's work well.
They perform well once opened but it takes almost a minute to open MS Word for the first time.
[doublepost=1544692459][/doublepost]
Yes sorry im on 16.16.5. Still slow as hell to open.
Do you have a SSD or a HDD?

fisherking

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
They perform well once opened but it takes almost a minute to open MS Word for the first time.
[doublepost=1544692459][/doublepost]

Do you have a SSD or a HDD?
a minute seems long, but... how many times a day do you do that? if you open it once a day (or leave it open for days)... seems livable. as long as the apps perform well when you work (which you've said they do).

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
www.cerm.info
a minute seems long, but... how many times a day do you do that? if you open it once a day (or leave it open for days)... seems livable. as long as the apps perform well when you work (which you've said they do).
I use iWorks instead due to speed on a HDD. They perform better while opened. Mail reads emails faster than outlook and just seems more designed for a HDD.

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
2012 Mac Mini, booting and running from an SSD in a USB3/SATA docking station.

Old copy of MS Word (2011) opened within 3 seconds.

an-other

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2011
It may be microsoft verifying a singular licenced copy in use, and nothing to do with your machine.

aengelbrecht

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2017
Definitely depends on macOS version and Office version. I started on a rMBP 15" 2012 with Mountain Lion and MS Office 2010 for Mac, and it worked well, started up quickly, etc.

Since upgrading macOS, there has been a few bad releases, but stopped on Sierra on the rMBP 2012. Seems to work well, Yosemite was probably the worst. Going to stay on Sierra as long as I can on the 15".

At work I use a 2015 rMBP 13", which got upgraded to High Sierra (which has been probably the worst in terms of intermitted hangs and sometimes not coming to life after putting to sleep and moving from laptop screen to Thunderbolt display or dual 24" monitors). Also on Office 16.16 (Office 365 variant or whichever). This combo seems much slower to start, even if the SSD on the 2015 MBP is a lot faster.

I have fought of IT to upgrade from the 2015 rMBP, as I'm not impressed by the MBP of late, and the keyboard feels horrible. Checked with IT and the 2016 MBP have a lot more issues that the older 2015 MBPs.

ghostface147

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Excel 2019 took six seconds to load on my Mac (2018 MB Pro 2.2 Ghz, 16 gigs of RAM) and Excel 2016 took 4 seconds on my Fusion VM using Windows 10 1809 (8 gigs of RAM reserved for it). Must be related to programming API and optimization. Just my guess. I'm not sweating two seconds. 30 does seem excessive though.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Bottom line and despite the thread's title, SSDs are still wayyyy faster than HDDs. OP: get one and stop wondering if there's a "real" speed boost. There is a colossal speed boost.

Reactions: 0009827

jwolf6589

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
www.cerm.info
Bottom line and despite the thread's title, SSDs are still wayyyy faster than HDDs. OP: get one and stop wondering if there's a "real" speed boost. There is a colossal speed boost.
I thought about getting a SSD however I am in allot of debt and the extra money I am making I am making larger payments towards my CC's as tomorrow am paying $600 towards my Master card. I am not running a business, am not using my mac to make money as I use the PC's at work which have SSD's.

I can wait for my HDD to boot-up, install updates, and I can wait a minute for MS office apps to open for the first time after a boot. I use iWorks apps instead.

Sure I would love an SSD if someone would give me a Christmas present, but besides a gift I need to apply all my extra money towards debt reduction.

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 15, 2018
Cheapest ssd is something like 30 bucks. Price is not a barrier to entry.
This thread was a troll from the start surely.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I thought about getting a SSD however I am in allot of debt and the extra money I am making I am making larger payments towards my CC's as tomorrow am paying $600 towards my Master card. I am not running a business, am not using my mac to make money as I use the PC's at work which have SSD's.

I can wait for my HDD to boot-up, install updates, and I can wait a minute for MS office apps to open for the first time after a boot. I use iWorks apps instead.

Sure I would love an SSD if someone would give me a Christmas present, but besides a gift I need to apply all my extra money towards debt reduction.
I'm just gonna tell you one thing about this if you don't mind, very OT so everyone you've been warned!!!

if I were you I wouldn't address certain topics publicly like this. I'm sure you're being very honest and that's actually commendable, but, I don't know, I'm just giving you my honest opinion as well...

As for Santa, if an SSD is his idea of a xmas gift, this old relic has no class whatsoever. :D