Thought this was funny given the amount of worship Jobs gets here.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Zombie Acorn, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

In the age of everyone criticizing the rich and doing nothing to turn the tide I thought this was interesting. Steve Jobs gets worshiped and does nearly nothing for charity... and everyone on this site (even bleeding heart liberals) worship him. Meanwhile Microsoft and Gates are seen as the evil dictators.

[​IMG]

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I applaud the efforts. I despise the worship.

Anonymous giving would be just as affective without the ego boost. Helping to solve the world's problems is not a contest.

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

That's beautiful. Thanks for sharing. If I were rich, I hope I would be strong enough to do the same.

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Great effort but this could have been done anonymously like suggested by flopticalcube, but still i amazing job.

5. iStudentUK, Jan 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I think there is a great deal to admire with Gates. A very good man, and one I'd love to meet in person.

Jobs on the other hand I suspect was a douchebag in real life. I never really admired him much as a person.

I think publicly donating for an ego boost is a bit off. But I'm not sure that's the case here, Gates raises the profile of various causes and encourages other donations. That's a much more noble reason to bang on a bout something.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

this is not done for an ego boost as you believe ...

the reason this type of charity is not done anonymously is they are leading by example and trying to encourage others with the means of Steve Jobs to follow suit

7. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Why do we have to have a black and white mentality of good/bad?

We're not cavemen. Surely we can view the world with a bit more nuance?

Bill Gates has done a vast amount of good with his philanthropy. He also lead Microsoft at a time when they used their monopoly position to shut out other market players... while pushing out some pretty average software. He's a complex and interesting individual - not all good!

On a personal level, Jobs was an ass. As far as we know he didn't give a whole lot to charity - but he did a great deal to further computers, the music industry and good design. He enhanced our lives... if he hadn't, why would we be on this forum?

Yes, philanthropy is good. Capitalism is good too, as it provides a great impetus for hard work, invention and production. Bottom line though... I'd rather see people in Africa have the sort of wage and personal capital to afford their own healthcare rather than relying on Western benefactors. Relying on charity doesn't seem to be a reliable or sustainable way to live.

8. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

"Redefining Action Hero"... that's an ego boost in my book whether it came from the donator himself or a supporter. Its pure hero worship although knowing what I do about Gates, I doubt he would want any part of it.

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Bill Gates and Warren Buffet are not doing this to stroke their egos ... both men are quite humble and only hoping others will follow suit.

10. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Well, we don't actually know the real reasons, only they do but like I said I don't think Gates would care for it (the hero worship) so that may well be the case.

I do remember reading somewhere that the wealthy give away a smaller percentage of their wealth than the poor so I guess that's why they are trying to lead by example but it didn't work in Carnegie and Rockerfeller's time (again, not too sure they were altogether altruistic either) and I doubt it will work in ours.

11. malman89 macrumors 68000

I can relate to being against the "action hero part", but there is no way he could accomplish as much anonymously.

He has to be out there campaigning for his causes and highlighting his successes so he can leverage that into getting others to join on the bandwagon. I work for a non-profit and our President/CEO has to do the same. Maximize exposure to cultivate and leverage potential donors. Real simple stuff.

12. danahn17, Jan 22, 2012

danahn17 macrumors 6502

Putting aside the ego for a moment, if it were anonymous, it wouldn't bring the same amount of attention. I know a lot of people who hate Bono but in an interview regarding his charity works for Africa, he said that he considers his fame as a currency by which he can get other people to really take notice of the problems in the world he thinks are important. I'd say Bill Gates' generosity goes along the same lines.

I work in the public health field and many people talk about things like GAVI. While the issues were important before Gates came along, I think he raised the profile of those causes substantially...something that would arguably be less effective with an anonymous donation. It's also encouraged and energized many who work in the fields...

Likewise, no millionaire or billionaire would take the giving pledge seriously if it was an anonymous request.

Im not even sure "redefining action hero" is hero worship or ego stroking. To me, i just took it as a clever and catchy way for an article to grab our attention. And as mentioned in the first line or two, it was in reference to a Jon Stewart quote. Regardless, hero worship or not, I wish there were more people like Bill Gates in the world. We all can learn a lot from him.

13. Zombie Acorn thread starter macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I imagine anonymity came up because some people still pretend jobs was a huge anonymous giver. After reading his biography it only concreted my belief that he was a piece of **** in his personal life. Gates philantrophy hasn't been for an ego boost, he has been encouraging others to join on.

14. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I gotta disagree with you. Maybe I misinterpreted you but your nuance to me suggests that Gates isn't a good as he is made out to be and Jobs isn't as bad as he is made out to be. The problem though is that the example of good Bill Gates did/does (saving lives by promoting better healthcare and disease prevention) is not on the same level as the example of the good Steve Jobs did (make/improve technologies, change music industry).

Plus you could make the argument that Apple is doing the same thing of shutting down competitors to protect their iPhone and iPad markets. Jobs has been on record saying he'd be willing to spend all of Apple's money shutting down Android... but he never said anything like that for any charitable cause.

As for the charity and capitalism debate... it's true to some degree. Just blindly giving out money and aid doesn't solve anything and even perpetuates things (this is a great article on chocolate that somehow touches on that issue). But the fact is, without GAVI and such, millions of people won't even be alive to work or afford healthcare. The graphic said the rotavirus vaccine was made $2.50 a dose because of GAVI's efforts. Considering that in some places in Africa, the average monthly wage is less than $20, should we just sit around and wait while they get their capitalism together?

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

16. .Andy, Jan 22, 2012

.Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This political talking point was picked up and parotted quickly.

I'm afraid it is all in your head. "Everyone here" doesn't worship jobs. Nor does everyone see gates as an evil dictator. Personally I think the Bill and Melinda gates foundation is a fantastic organization.

Edit: One old PRSI thread I can remember that is contrary to your assertions: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=754633.

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I hate to be cynical (;)), but the best way to keep your ostentatious wealth is to "give it away."

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bill Gates has indeed done great things with his money. That does not change the fact that his company makes crappy software.

19. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Crappy software? Oh comeon now, it's not that bad lol

As for me, I admire where Gate's priorities lay from what I know

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I am happy that my cache has this post in it now.

That first post was a killer to load. ;)

21. Invincibilizer macrumors 6502a

Invincibilizer

Lets not get in to that, Windows is much better, its the fact that a far overwhelming majority uses it that it brings up more problems in the news.

As for the infograph, that is an incredible and fair representation of him :D
    I applaud everything that Bill Gates has done, he is the reason that I am using a Windows 7 computer right now!

22. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

These Gates is good because he gives to charity and Jobs was evil because he didn't threads are getting old.

23. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Everyone forgets the name I bolded. My guess is that Melinda is more than half of the organization. To claim that the foundation is all about Bill is sexist and wrong.

Laurene Jobs is also on the board of a charity or two. Since we aren't privy to Steve's will much less to Laurene's charitable inclinations, it's sort of silly to grandstand like ZA is. The Gates' foundation didn't really pick up steam until Bill left Microsoft. Who knows what Steve would have done had he lived longer?

24. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Yes

Well, I didn't compare one with the other so your statement is pointless.

All I said was that both were neither good nor bad.

My guess is that you're wrong. Without Bill's money, the organisation wouldn't even exist.