Thoughts of Leaping from a MBA 11" to MBP 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fastball32, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Fastball32 macrumors member

I've forever been a fan of ultraportables.
    Over the years, I've owned Sony Vaio U, UX, T, TX, TZ, TT, Z.
    I've owned Apples including PowerBook 12", MacBook Air 13" Rev C, then the MacBook Air 11".

In preparation to purchase a Retina MBP, I sold my MBA 11" and went to my local Apple store to purchase the rMBP.
    When I inspected it, the screen was clear and bright. However, it felt like an Air with a larger, brighter screen. The reality of paying a premium for RAM and not being able to put in an extra drive, made me think that the rMBP should really be renamed an iMacBook. It was then I decided to purchase a gently used 2011 MacBook Pro 17".

As someone who primarily works at coffee shops for long hours several days a week, I always thought portability ran supreme. Then flashbacks of constantly minimizing/maximizing screens, four-finger swiping between applications when I multitask made me realize that I should finally try the mobile desktop, the 17". This week, I've been taking my 17" MBP and absolutely love it. Having the same resolution as a 24" ACD on a 17" screen is amazing. Having a true anti-glare makes me not think twice about sitting at the prized seat next to a window.

Some thoughts comparing the 17" MBP to the 11" Air...

The 11" for some reason seemed a bit pixelated. I guess I'm used to the Retina iPad. The 17" does not have a pixelated feel to my eyes.
    I LOVE the battery live. After 2-3 hours on my Air, battery life is constantly in the back of my conscience. After 5 hours on my MBP, I'm still stress free.
    My fingers aren't as crammed when switching from keyboard to trackpad.
    At home, I like using my notebook on kitchen counters, living room desks, so small things such as louder speakers are noticeable.
    I like the idea that the 2011+ MBP's can theoretically handle 32GB of Ram, and RAID'ing higher capacity SSD's.
    I can finally have the option of playing modern games at modest settings.

I know I'm comparing apples to oranges, but for anyone who's admired the 17" from afar should give it a shot.

Yes, this thing weighs about the same as three 11" MBA's, but I've noticed I'm using my iPad more than my 11" Air. The one spot where the Air does shine is when I'm laying on a couch.
    Now that the 17" is discontinued, I think this 17" will retain its value better than it normally does. As someone who updates their computer annually, I think I found a keeper...that is until/if a 17" rMBP gets released.

2. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

I've owned a MacBook Pro 17in, a 13in MacBook Air, and now the Retina Display MacBook. While I loved the 17in screen size, the main reason I liked it was because of the resolution compared to the standard 15in. I like to have the option of being able to fit 2 things on the screen at once, and that just isn't possible with the standard 15in MBP. I need to be portable for school, and while the 17in size and weight didn't bother me all that much, the 13in Air was just SO much different. The standard 15in is great screen size and overall weight, but the resolution just doesn't cut it for me unless you get the high-res screen bump. Now that the Retina is here, I get best of both worlds. The Retina is thin and light, somewhat comparable to the Air and although it doesn't have the 17in screen, being able to change the resolution at any time is awesome.
    I think it all boils down to what you will be using the computer for.

3. MikeinJapan macrumors regular

I often need to see two documents or have 3 open with a dictionary sometimes. I was waiting for the update to get a 17" MBP as I had a 13" and it was too heavy and small. One or the other is fine but not both. The MBPr is the best of all worlds.

More expensive, no drive but damn fine machine!!!!!!

4. Collin789 macrumors regular

Collin789

Yeah that's what I think. Being able to change the resolution on the fly is what I really like. If i'm just browsing online, I like it to be large, but if I need to fit more on the screen at once, I can easily change it.