Thoughts of Verizon Edge?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JD84, Sep 29, 2014.

1. JD84 macrumors 6502

I have been contemplating doing Verizon Edge and wanted to know other peoples experience of doing it. Do you like it and feel its worth it or is there a catch somewhere that is just a rip off?
    I was told you will save $10 off each line that you do edge on.
    Seems like a good idea if you like to upgrade your phone more often, just sucks having the extra $30-$40 on your bill for each device you do.
    What is everyone's thoughts on the Verizon Edge program?

2. TRC-WA macrumors regular

A complete ripoff.

$499 for a upgrade to a 128 GB 6+...

I could have got it on Edge for like $31 a month... and paid full price $949.

Ummmm no.

These monthly upgrades are just as bad as selling your old iPhone to Gazelle or GameStop...

3. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My understanding is Next is significantly better than Edge. VZW ups your contract rate when the Edge period is up. As far as I can tell, Next does not. This works out because it's an interest free loan which, when paid off, disappears from your AT&T bill.

4. JD84 thread starter macrumors 6502

if you save $10 a month on your monthly access fee that adds up to about $120 a year. I am just trying to do the math.
    Said you have to pay the phone off at least 60%

5. TRC-WA macrumors regular

6. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

Verizon ups your bill after you pay off the phone? That's terrible, but it's Verizon so I'm not surprised.

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

That's my understanding, but my FAN discount basically locks me on AT&T

8. jonfarr macrumors 6502a

jonfarr

Verizon discounts you $10/month from your bill for being on edge from the regular line access charge. They don't just increase the bill when you pay the phone off.

And as to buying the phone at the subsidized price ($199 for a 16GB 6, $299 64Gb, etc.), you are paying the remaining balance of the phone (usually about the same as you paid for the phone) over the life of the 2 year contract. That is why they have a ETF fee so they can recoup the cost of the phone.

9. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

AT&T now offers double data on the 15GB plans. If Verizon tries to follow with the same thing, with 30% corporate discount (compared to 15% AT&T, 20% TMo) plus the EDGE program, it'll be really enticing for me to move. Some places, at least 2-3 times a week, that I go to and do some work, just 2G/EDGE with TMo, 3G/4G for AT&T, Verizon iPad is on full signal LTE all the time.

10. gfunk1122 macrumors newbie

Edge and Next are exactly the same as far as I know. The only thing different that I know is we will let you "Edge Up" whenever you want after 30 days. I work for Verizon.

$25 credit on 10GB or higher. $10 credit on anything lower than 10GB. Lines out of contract get the discount. Lines under contract do not. Anybody on Edge with a 10GB plan or higher saves $180 vs contract price.

$230 on contract with upgrade (24 months)

$650 - $600 ($25x24) = $50

11. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

You mean, for example, I have an unlocked phone, if I move to Verizon, I still get the discount EDGE customers are getting too on the monthly line fee?

12. z06gal macrumors 6502

I am very happy so far with the Edge plan. No complaints whatsoever :cool:

13. jlp2979 macrumors 6502

I don't think you can bring a non-Verizon device to Verizon and start new service anymore. You CAN use an active Verizon sim in your unlocked phone if you have Verizon already, that will work, assuming your phone supports the Verizon bands. There is a thread about this a few pages in, check that out too. I'm out of contract and they give me a $15 discount per month for 'loyalty' and incentive to not leave I was told by my local corp store. If I upgrade I lose the discount....but would get the "benefit" of Edge in return...no thanks. Not sure how long this discount has been in place, it was just given to me last week. It's cool to finally pay less per month for being out of contract. That's how it should be.

14. gfunk1122 macrumors newbie

Typically we can't activate unlocked iPhones. You could possibly enter a Verizon iPhone 6 MEID and get a Verizon Sim Card. That would probably work but I don't know for certain. But yes you get the discount if you aren't under contract.

15. zzoomp09 macrumors 6502

zzoomp09

I just moved to Verizon and I used BYOD and got the discount. I basically bought a Verizon iPhone6 at the Apple Store full price about 2 weeks ago and used with TMobile until today when Verizon activated it.

16. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

[​IMG]

Other thoughts about it? Verizon being greedy...

17. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

There is a discount on your plan, but its not really much of a discount since your paying extra for the phone and Verizon's plans are generally higher in cost anyways.

18. rui no onna, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014

rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

That depends if they get rid of BYOD promo. I just consolidated an iPhone (fully paid for) and some iPads on the VZW $130/30GB plan and confirmed with the CSR that monthly access fee for the iPhone is just $15.

19. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

It's a cost benefit analysis.

I picked up an iPhone 6 Plus, and iPhone 6 on Verizon Edge.

If you upgrade on an annual cycle, the combination of the Verizon Edge discount actually makes it very compelling.

I don't have the exact numbers infront of me, but an iPhone 6 64GB ($299), iPhone 6 Plus ($599) on contract, and the bill is the same. With basically no money up front, and $50 discount for being on Verizon Edge it seems fairly reasonable.

The whole mobile market is incredibly competitive. The loopholes described with plans going up on Verizon Edge at the end of the Edge deal is more then likely going to be addressed well into the next year.

Verizon also has quite frankly the most reliable wireless network.

But it's all subjective.

These new methods to get phones are very very much geared for people on annual buying cycles.

20. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

It's actually been addressed since April 2014. Only question is whether they'll yank out the BYOD discounts. I'm guessing as long AT&T keeps their BYOD discounts, the Verizon discounts will stay. :rolleyes:

21. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

If it's there now I wouldn't expect BYOD discounts to go away.

Again it's an incredibly competitive market place.

Verizon will probably always be at a slight premium. But they do have the most consistent network

22. jbromer macrumors 6502a

jbromer

I pay a tiny bit more with edge (about $50 over 2 years). Anyone who thinks this is a rip-off isn't doing the math. I save $25 a month x 24 months, which is exactly the amount of the subsidy that is built into a contract. I also avoid the activation fee for upgrading, and I get to change phones every year without dealing with selling and haggling over the condition of it, so I spend less on cases and protectors.

The very small increase in fees is worth it to me. Just like my car, I am basically leasing my phone at 0% interest which is a great setup for business use.

Knock the plan if you want, but a lot of the detractors I don't think have thought it through.

23. mustbepbs macrumors newbie

This. I agree on every point. As someone who likes to change phones once a year at least, this gives me the most freedom to do so. I save money on my contract, I got a free gig added to my account for each edge upgrade for 2 years. I have an affordable monthly payment for my phone. What more could I ask for?

24. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I agree with all of it.

I did the math, and over the course of a year on an annual upgrade cycle I am actually saving money. There is no out of pocket expense for the phone which puts me ahead after the $25 per line discount, plus the extra bonus data.

Also, I'm a huge Verizon fan. It may not be the fastest everywhere, but man it's as close to rock solid as a carrier can be nationwide, and I can pop another sim in overseas.