Thoughts on buying an Iphone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jeloman, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jeloman macrumors newbie

I've been wanting to buy a secondhand iPhone 4 for a while and now that the release date for the iPhone 5 is just a week away, should I wait for a couple weeks after the iPhone 5 is released so it's cheaper?

Also, I've never owned an iPhone so this may be a dumb question but, I probably won't need an iTouch if I do end up getting an iPhone right? I'm thinking of selling my iTouch 4 so I don't have to shell out too much for a potential iPhone 4. Has the release date of the iTouch 5th generation been released yet?

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

The iPhone 4 will be able to do everything your iTouch can do plus more. I caution you to consider how a 2-year contract (assuming you buy on contract) will put you many iterations away from the latest and greatest. It doesn't sound like you're very concerned about this. Just know that Apple typically offers major software enhancements each year and older model phones may not get all those goodies. Example: iPhone 4 doesn't have Siri (so as Siri evolves, you'll miss out).

The iPhone 4 was a great phone (still is), just know you'll miss out on Apple goodness as time goes by. If possible, I'd try to find a way to save the extra cash and purchase the 4S as it will drop in price as well. If you can't, the iPhone 4 is a great option as well.

In terms of the iTouch 5th gen...I think we might hear about it next week. :)

3. cableguy619 macrumors 6502

I'd also go for a 4s... Specifically if you are on ATT for the additional network hpsa+ or what ever it is called. I bought my wifes for 149. a few weeks ago and it was just 129.00 last week so I see the price going down probably a little more, but who knows

4. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Sell your iPod touch ASAP, the new one will be coming out soon.

As for buying an iPhone, wait until after the announcement, as a lot of people will start putting their iPhones up for sale. Who knows, you may even be able to find a 4S cheap.

Also, yes it does everything your iPod touch does, just imagine your iPod touch with a phone app and always connected.

5. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

Either way wait until the new phone is announced/released because the market will be so saturated with peoples 4/4s they will be competing with each other on price. It will be a buyers market so you might even be able to get a 4s for the price of what the 4 is running now give or take $25-50

6. jeloman thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all, thank you all so much for just replying and giving so much information! :) I'm definitely smarter now compared to when I was writing this thread.

Secondly, I plan on buying an unlocked phone from Ebay or amazon or another online seller. I'm on a T-mobile plan for another year and a half so I have to stick with it and buy an unlocked iPhone. I've been looking on Ebay and the iPhone 4 runs for around $300 right now used. The iPhone 4s goes for around $375 in the same condition. But like CosmoPilot said, I would be missing out on software updates so I'm definitely on the fence about this decision.

Does anyone have any estimates as to how much the price might drop for either iPhone based on previous generations?

7. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Both subjective matters. If you want suggestions then you need to provide your needs/wants/preferences.

I have a 4s and I still use an iPod Touch and an iPod Classic. Again, these aren't one-size-fits-all matters.

8. terryh703 macrumors regular

Best time will be after launch of 5, the 4 might be a free phone this year after they kill off the 3GS.

9. jeloman thread starter macrumors newbie

When it comes to needs/wants, it comes down to wanting a phone that I can listen to music on and call/text at the same time. It seems like the iPhone is the best phone that can do this.

That being said, both the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s are able to do this. But is the approximately $75 difference between the two(according to Ebay) worth it? I know the 4s has a better processor chip but if it's basically the same thing, then I'd rather not have to pay the difference. I AM a cheap second-year college student. :eek:

Also, I'm going with the assumption that buying a secondhand unlocked iPhone 4 on Ebay after the iPhone 5 is released would cost around $225. Am I in the ballpark with this assumption or am I wildly off target?

10. Furifo macrumors 6502

IMO you would be happier with a 4S. The chip is substantially better at handling games and even the UI on occasion.

The 4S will also have Siri and all of the features of the new and upcoming Apple Maps as well as being able to FaceTime over cellular data. The 4S can also access higher data speeds than the 4.

Finally the camera on the 4S is much improved over the 4 - not just in terms of megapixels but also in terms of optics. 4S can also record in 1080p as opposed to 720p on the 4.

If any of these features are important to you, I'd go with the 4S. You will have a much better experience and will most likely be supported by Apple longer in terms of software updates.

11. scottw324, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

scottw324 macrumors 6502

I have my 16 GB AT&T model iPhone 4, already jailbroken that I have been thinking about selling after I get the new iphone. Typically I repurpose them for something else (i.e. streaming netflix and airvideo to another TV instead of buying another ATV). But I already have 2 iPhone 3G phones in the house and I will still have my wife's iPhone 4 (not jailbroken) to use if I want to.

I was planning on selling mine for $200. It is on firmware 5.1.1 (9B206).

I think Amazon is taking them for $275 at the moment. Only thing is that i need it until I get my iPhone 5. Then it is available. I work in a building that gets crap reception (literally 1 bar or none) so the battery drains about 20% while I am there but otherwise it last me all day power wise. Definitely something that is important to me since I don't want to be tied to a power outlet. That is one issue that the iPhone 4S has had over the last year. Not sure what Apple changed that caused the heavy power usage with the 4S but my boss can't get through a day without having to charge his 4S. I am hoping they have that issue fixed with the iPhone 5. I am upgrading only because I am switching from AT&T to Verizon so I might as well get the newest phone while I am switching.

Let me know if you are interested.

EDIT: Keep in mind that with Cydia (jailbreak) you can install a lot of tweaks to customize the phone the way you like. I have SBSettings, Adblocker, Activator, IntelliScreenX w/Messages+, My3G, MyWi, iCleaner, ClearMyCache and AirServerinstalled on it and it runs like a champ. Only thing I do not use normally is themes since Winterboard usually slows down the phone with using memory up.

12. cynics, Sep 6, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

cynics macrumors G3

Get a 4S at minimum. iOS 6 is about to roll out and according to apple the 4 won't get:

Flyover and turn by turn navigation
    FaceTime over cellular
    Some hearing aid thing

And obviously still won't have Siri.

Plus any new features that are exclusive to the new iPhone. The 4 is a very antiquated device now.

Edit: this already mentioned huh?

13. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

A lot; definitely wait and go for the 4S (and sell your iTouch ASAP).

14. hamlin macrumors regular

Sell your Ipod touch, you wont need it when you have an iphone.

I have the iPhone 4 and I can do everything my wifes 4s can do except use siri. Siri is cool at first but after you use it for a month the novelty will wear off. The iphone 4s load apps roughly 1 second faster than my 4 and it has a better camera. Aside from that, the 4S and the 4 are the exact same.

15. jeloman thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually IOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 4. So I have made a listing on eBay to sell my iTouch 4 today. I'm hoping it gets around $125 as the average price is $122 used but I kept mine in pristine condition.

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Logicially, it will drop by a max of $100, since that's how much cheaper it will (supposedly) be when the new phone hits. Realistically, I am saying $50.

That said, we are going to see a LOT more iPhone 4 unlocked on the market here, I suspect, since people are going to be hitting their out of contract time and AT&T will unlock it for them. For this reason, they may very well go for a great deal cheaper IF the market gets flooded.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't go with a 4. My fiancé runs a 4 (stock) and it is noticeably laggy quite often compared to my heavily tweaked 4s.

17. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

My thoughts are wait and get a cheaper 4S if the 5 doesn't interest you. If it does, or you don't care either way, wait.

I have a touch that I just leave docked in my car so I can Wifi sync and update from outside. I guess it depends on how much you use your devices. I always, always play my library in the car. It's so much easier to just turn the car on and have my music playing and my phone free. Get a used/scratched touch from CL or elsewhere.

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I'd avoid the iPhone 4 at all costs. It's a horrible phone (as in telephone to make calls) my iPhone 4s is truly an excellent phone, where in many places my iPhone 4 wouldn't even connect.

For the price difference an iPhone 4S is vastly superior.

As far as timing, you've made it this long, wait until at least two weeks after iPhone 5 is released, then find the best price on an iPhone 4S & buy it.

19. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Works perfectly well as a phone, I have no compaints. Sure I get a dropped call here and there but I know where and where I can't make a call, in no-problem areas it's perfectly fine that goes for any phone on any network.

20. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I would also suggest OP to wait. I too have to buy an iPhone 4S and iPhone 3GS and i will be buying after the next iPhone is launched. I am hoping to get good/very good condition 3GS for 100$ or under and 4S for the price for which a 4 is going on at present.
    I hope this happens so i get what i want and in my budget.

21. jeloman thread starter macrumors newbie

The money is the problem :)

I'm a student so I don't really have extra money to spend on a new iPhone so I'm hoping with the release of the iPhone 5, that'll lower the cost enough for me to cover it with my last paycheck of the summer along with the selling price of my iTouch 4!

By the way, I feel dumb for asking this but is September 12th when Apple is releasing the iPhone 5 or is that when they'll have a specific date as to when people will be able to purchase the iPhone 5? If its the former, that'll affect my buying plans in terms of the iPhone 4/iPhone 4s.

Also, one of my friends said getting an iPhone 4s is pointless if I'm not going to have data. However, I'm not sure as to whether he meant getting an iPhone in general was pointless without a data plan. Assuming that he meant an iPhone 4s was useless without a data plan, is this true?

22. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

The 12th is gonna be the day of announcement. There have been rumors going around that they will open pre-orders up that day too but thats something we'll have to wait and see. Also, you would be able to use the phone over wifi but if you plan on downloading apps and using them while you away from wifi, you'll need a data plan. I actually don't think you can get an iPhone without a data plan. I may be wrong though.

23. jeloman thread starter macrumors newbie

Well using all the info I've learned due to you guys, :) I can formulate a plan.

I just listed my iTouch 4 today on eBay and the auction will end on the 13th of September. I have my old iPod Nano 3rd generation that I'll use to keep me alive in terms of music ^^. I'm selling it now as it seems that now is the best time to sell since the value will go down after the announcement on September 12th.

I'll wait a couple weeks after the iPhone 5 is announced and let the market saturate with iPhone 4s/iPhone 4's. I'm planning on buying one unlocked on eBay as I have T-Mobile as my main provider at the moment. Hopefully I don't end up having to pay too much out of pocket. I'm guessing that the iPhone 4s will be around $300 and that the iPhone 4 will be $225, maybe $200 if I'm lucky. Hopefully all falls into place!

Sound like a good plan?

24. scottw324, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012

scottw324 macrumors 6502

LOL, the same could be said with the 4S considering that the battery life issue has still be resolved from Apple the last time I checked. I actually like my iPhone to make it through a day of decent to heavy use and still have a charge when I get home at night. Typically, the dropped calls do not result from the iphone itself but from the lack of coverage or crappy coverage that AT&T has for their network. Which is the main reason I am switching to Verizon. My iPhone 4 works just fine for a phone. Infact it is the only phone I have and has served it's purpose well for the last two years since I bought it in June of 2010. And while I still only get about 1 bar of service in my house I can amazingly make and receive calls with pretty much no issue. I occationally get the Searching or No Service message but that is not the phone's issue, that is AT&T's issue. As for the iphone 4 dropping $50-100 in price, that might be the case if you are getting it from Verizon or AT&T but that is if you sign up for a 2 yr contract with them. Otherwise if you want to buy it outright from them you are still going to pay close to full cost of the phone which will still be more than $200.

Hell, If I didn't want to get rid of AT&T I would still be rocking the 4 probably until the iPhone 5S or 6 comes out since it runs just fine. I keep a case on it all times so it is in pretty good condition. I won't say mint since except for some minor scratches from the snapon case that I use on the metal antennae band around the edge I would say it was in very good condition. I try to take care of my apple devices.

I won't dispute that the 4S does have better technology in it than the 4. It should since it is a newer model. Otherwise there would be no point for people to upgrade. Siri would be nice (as long as she works the way she should). The 8MP camera is definitely a nice upgrade over the 5MP in the iphone 4 (this is one thing i am looking forward to in the iPhone 5). The ability to use AT&T's HSPA+ network for faster 3G/4G speeds is nice as well. The A5 chip instead of the A4.

And the ability to get I believe full support for iOS 6 when it is released instead of the chopped down version for the iPhone 4. But to tell you the truth, when I saw the preview of iOS 6 I wasn't super impressed with it. I think I was more impressed with iOS 5. So Siri gets to report sports scores now. Wow! Could care less. I want Siri to be my personnal assistant with appointments, alarms, text, emails, phone calls, opening apps, updating contact info, etc... and flawlessly. I don't want to get frustrated with Siri and say screw it and then open the app my self to set an alarm or create a calendar event, or update a contacts info. What is the point of having Siri then. Yes I know it is in Beta at the moment so we will have to live with the issues.

Facebook integration.......snore......I don't use facebook. I don't Twitter. So those are useless options for me.

I am interested to see how Passbook will work though and see if it will be revolutionary.

Facebook over 3G/4G......I could Skype before over 3G/4G and it is cross functional with more than just Apple devices (Android, laptops, desktops, tablets, etc...) I only Facetime with my wife and daughter when I am away from home. Otherwise it is normally Skype that I use. Plus My3G allowed me to use Facetime over 3G on my iPhone 4 and iPad 3 anyway.

The phone options now are definitely nice since I have a lot of meetings to go to. That I think is probably the biggest new option in iOS 6 for me.

Mail........meh. The current one gets the job done for what I do and there are JB tweaks that make it better anyway.

Safari. Shared tabs like in Chrome (which still doesn't work right on my iphone and ipad, constantly freezes up, the app, not the phone). If this works on my PC with Safari installed and my iphone/ipad, then I like it. If it only works on Macs and iOS devices, I don't care then since I am not dumping money on a Mac anytime soon.

That is pretty much the major stuff though that they announced. I want my JB tweaks to finally be incorporated into iOS. IntelliscreenX calendar and message reply. Toggles to be in the notification center to turn on/off Wifi, BT, Data, etc... A built in Ad blocker in Safari so I don't have to download a tweak for it (and no, I do not prefer any of the other browsers in the App Store over Safari. Safari seems to run the fastest out of all them so that is what I stick with).

25. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

As long as your phone has a case, and the home button works, and the screen isn't cracked....