Thoughts on Buying iPhone 4S from Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ckurt25, Sep 20, 2012.

1. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I'm trying to convince my girlfriend, who is the typical poor college student, to get an iPhone. This would be her first smartphone and with money being tight, she doesn't want to spend $200 on a device and keep the cost of service at a minimum. She's looking at Sprint but I told her to wait a bit for the prices to drop.

Right now, Apple is selling new iPhone 4S for Sprint, AT&T and Verizon for $99 and the 4 is free. Sprint is selling the 4S new for $149 (at least on their website) and refurbished ones for $99. You can order preowned 8GB iPhone 4 for $49. I would assume at some point that Sprint will lower the price of the preowned 4S to $49.

Anyone have any thoughts on if/when that will happen? If it's looking like a month or two, I may just chip in so she can get a new 4S for $99.

2. theanimala macrumors 6502

Why not just order it from Apple.com for the $99 today? You can open up a new account with Sprint through the Apple.com website, no need to wait. Prices will stay steady on the $99 price until nearly a year from now when the iPhone 5S is near to be released.

3. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

My thought is Sprint won't be able to move a preowned 4S for $99 when new ones are $99 and they'll be forced to lower the price of the preowned ones.

4. ckurt25 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

Well that happened quicker than I thought. The preowned iP4S is now $49 thru Sprint online.

5. sddabrow macrumors 6502

Definitely check out http://www.rootmetrics.com before jumping to Sprint. Check to make sure your area has decent coverage, because mine doesn't and I am trying to get out!