Thoughts on enhanced interrogation now?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, May 4, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

It is seeming more and more likely that enhanced interrogation techniques (a.k.a. torture), provided information that allowed the U.S. to kill O.B.L.

I recall many on this forum criticizing these techniques claiming they never provided useful information.

What say you now??

Personally, I was in favor of using these methods on prisoners that were known terrorists, such as K.S.M.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Same as I said before,it's wrong and counterproductive .

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

-Donald Rumsfield, May 2, 2011

OP - You prove to us how torture has consistently provided useful, actionable intelligence. Then you still try to make a moral case for its use. The burden of proof is on those who wish to use toeture, not on those who question its use.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

There was talk if waterboarding providing some intell, but this is now in serious doubt.

Torture and inhumane treatment is unacceptable (even if you call it enhanced interrogation). The US should adopt something equivalent to Article 3 of the European Convention on Human Rights. It prohibits torture in ANY circumstance, it is an absolute right.

No matter the situation, even in the ticking bomb thought experiment, torture should not be used.

6. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

It's wrong, and anyone who supports its use is sick, twisted and advocating for inhuman and unethical treatment of prisoners. There are no redeeming characteristics about torture that could possibly justify its use. Not to mention those who advocate torture are telling our enemies that it is ok to torture our prisoners. How could they? That risk is unacceptable.

Every "excuse" used to justify the torture authorized by our prior administration has been debunked, including that it led to finding OBL. That one tidbit of information (the nickname) came from someone who was waterboarded, but the information came much later during interrogation performed in accordance with civilized rules.

Sick. Twisted.

8. Huntn, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 5, 2011

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I served this country for all most a decade as a U.S.Navy Officer and it has aggravated me from the start when the Bush Administration started making excuses to torture because we have bunches of soldiers at risk. Prior to this we had the moral high ground to say that torturing is not moral. Not that U.S. soldiers were never tortured, but by this action we have put US POWS at greater risk and now if we say "It's not right to torture", we'll just be laughed at. Keep in mind this policy was put into place by ******* gun-ho politicians who never served in a war, did not think or care about ramifications/blowback. :mad:

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

To OP

Source

Until then, all the evidence we have suggests the opposite

Once we have evidence, we can then debate the usage of enhanced interrogation/torture then.

10. Macky-Mac, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011

Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

edit;

I doubt we'll ever know the real facts as it's already turned political. It seems that supporters of torture are going to claim it worked and opponents will say the opposite

NY Times

for what it's worth, the NY Times report contradicts the idea that torture provided the vitally useful information

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And how exactly did murdering Bin Laden help us any? All he is now is a trophy for Obama's next campaign.

12. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well capturing a person with the will, political power and finical power that Osama had is clearly a threat to us(being the West)

Murdering was a result of attempting to capture him, he did resist, I don't blame the SEALs for killing him. I would fool around with Osama Bin Laden either.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would have rather let Osama bin Laden go undiscovered than torture someone to find out where he was.

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Trophy or not, it's been a mission of this country since 9/11.

15. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I think the people responsible for authorizing and carrying it out should be prosecuted for war crimes, beginning with Bush and Cheney.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I saw a guest, Matthew Alexander, on the Ed [Schultz] Show talk about the ineffectiveness of enhanced interrogation (torture).

Here's a link to the video. Skip ahead to 7:15 minutes in to see the interview.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42889969#42889969

Please take a few minutes to view it and let me know what you think.

17. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I thought it was very interesting to have a first hand experience. He seemed to offer two main arguments; torture isn't very effective, and it is morally wrong.

For me only the second point matters, I think too much emphasis is put on whether torture works or not. If it did would that make it right? I think the morality of it is much more important. Torture is wrong regardless of its utility.

18. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

interesting, he notes that the department of defense compiled stats that show that mistreatment of muslim prisoners was the #1 most effective recruiting tool for al Qaeda

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My thoughts on torture are exactly the same now as they have always been.

Don't do it.

20. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

But what if torturing a person who is involved in the plans of a terrorist attack could prevent thousands of deaths?

Torturing would never be a good action, but it is like killing someone to defend yourself, killing is bad, but the result of killing saved your life.

In the case of torture, it is the government defending its people (country). If it can be avoided better, but I would rather authorize torture instead of letting attacks happen.

EDIT: As with everything, every single case needs to be analyzed separately.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

It depends upon who's being grilled. If it's a lowly grunt, I'm against it. Low man on the totem usually knows next to nothing and will give crappy info just to end the torture. If it's a known high ranking big wig, I say bring out the rack, the thumb screws and the iron maiden.;) Get that bad boy to sing like a canary.:cool:

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

still wrong. How we treat our worst enemies speak volumes about who we are.

23. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

But there is absolutely no guarantee or, to my knowledge, no proof that torture results in any useful intelligence whatsoever. And killing someone to save your own life is defending yourself. Not sure how torture could ever be considered an act of self-defense.

24. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I'd rather let attacks happen than authorise torture.

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

The type of country which is willing to torture people will always inspire more violence against them. You might save 100 lives today and lose 10,000 lives the next year because of that behavior.

The ends don't justify the means torture is wrong period.

Would you support forcible medical testing on people if that forcible testing might save hundreds of thousands of lives in the future?