Thoughts on hiring

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by supercaliber, Aug 27, 2010.

1. supercaliber macrumors regular

I am interviewing someone today for a job. I will be working with this employee closely for a number of months. He will report directly to me.

I am thinking about weeding him out if he has [edit: drastically] different political beliefs than me.

Its not illegal, so why not find an employee that will be easier to chat with around the water cooler?

Your thoughts???

2. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

3. 184550 Guest

Actually, that depends on which state you live in.

Washington DC and New York have laws that forbid an employer from hiring or firing an employee based on their political beliefs.

If you decide to stoop this low and hire an employee based on their political beliefs rather than on their ability to perform the job, it would be advisable not to question potential candidates openly about their political beliefs. All that would be necessary for legal action would be for the employee to leave the interview and feel that they were not hired based on their political beliefs. The least that could potentially happen would be unfavorable coverage in the local media and at worst a lawsuit.

4. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

Why mix politics and business at all?

I find having people of the opposite viewpoint than mine refreshing to a degree socially, and interfacing with them on Twitter etc.

It helps me realize that there are multiple ways to view a situation, and I am not always right.

5. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I believe this is an obvious attempt by SuperCalifrajalistick here, to bait "liberals" & "conservatives" to weigh in on his "dilemma".

Give me a break.

This is the most transparent thread ever. :D

And if Im wrong, its Supercal's fault for basically only using the PRSI forum for what I said.

6. Shivetya macrumors 65816

WOW.

If my political beliefs were questioned during an interview I would walk out. I don't work for pricks.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Given two equal candidates then its up to you. If you choose the lesser of two candidates based on political ideology, then I would say your company loses out. Surely, however, you are not that shallow and insecure of your own political beliefs that you need to surround yourself with kindred spirits just to feel safe?

8. opinioncircle macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

True. Moreover, if the candidate is a tad smart, it'll be seen a mile ahead, and will dodge the bullet by going your way.

9. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It might not be illegal where you live, but it is entirely unethical, and if it came to light that someone in my organization were doing this, we would be immediately interviewing someone for his position as well.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

While in most places it is against the law if that is reason that your beliefs would not work well.
    It is another matter if your reason is you do not think you will get along with the person or they do not seem like someone you would not like hanging out with.

Question you can not ask in an interview is what is your political belief/opinions, religions belief ect. Now if the candidate volunteered that information it is another story and it can factor in to do you think you will get along with said person.

You are in a very grey area and it depends how you got that info.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'd walk out of that interview as well. My political beliefs are no business of my employer. I can't believe you'd even consider such a thing.

You should not be in the position to hire anyone.

12. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I would agree on that. If an employer ask my political opinion on a matter I would be very tempted to turn down a job offer from them.

Now I am assume leekohler you never volunteer that information either.
    Like I said in my first post it depends how you got the information. If they volunteered it with out being prompt then sadly you can use it to determine if you personally can work with them.

I for example even though I am christian was interveiwing some out going Christian who was about spreading the word with every person they meet would quickly go into the not hired pill. Same goes for any other religious views. Work is not a place for it to be brought out. Now I would want to work with someone I can shoot the breeze with.

13. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Why hire anyone else at all? After all, the only person you can really trust is you, right?

Simply go to your superiors and inform them you've made your decision. Who is better qualified than you? You will report directly to yourself, receive double pay, and will be free to dismiss yourself based on incompatible political views (multiple-personality disorders need not apply).

14. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

And here we go...

is everyone who replied this easy to bait? no wonder the PRSI forums get into shouting matches...consistently.

Its like those who dont even want it that way, just cant help themselves. They just have to say something. Cant ignore an obviously ridiculous post.

15. 184550 Guest

Sounds like the logic Cheney applied when being appointed head of Bush's VP committee. :p

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I sympathize.

How a person "fits" is an important consideration for any hire.

That said... it's a pretty short walk from there to discrimination because someone doesn't "fit in".

We don't have to look far to find reasons to confirm our biases.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think it is unfair to rule people out because of political beliefs (which shouldn't be a part of the discourse in an interview IMO). I do, however, think it can be appropriate, when choosing someone who will work close to you, to use the 'airport test' when choosing between people. "If our flight was canceled, would I be able to sit at the airport bar for 6 hours with this guy?"

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

But you don't know that until you actually get there. I've been in management before, and hired a few people who I thought would be great the job as well as people I would get along with. I was wrong, they just gave damn good interviews.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Because you're not hiring a new friend or buddy to chat with, you're hiring a new employee, and if their political beliefs have absolutely no bearing on how they do their job, you should not be discriminating on that.

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Don't hire based on political views, OP.

21. supercaliber thread starter macrumors regular

I am not trying to bait anyone, sorry if this question is so sensitive to so many of you. I am only looking for your thoughts and appreciate even the nastiest of them.

I am in a position to hire people because I own my own business. I have never asked political questions before in interviews and was contemplating the ethics of it all and was looking forward to your opinions.

I actually hired a guy once without knowing anything about him and we never discussed anything outside of work without colliding. This relationship was completely counterproductive in my business because we work together for 10 hours a day at times.

Some of you have too much difficulty in discussing real-world issues. For those of you that offered your sincere opinions without bashing, thank you.

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

If you can't work beside someone without colliding, you're the one with difficulty discussing real world issues.

I grew up in Northern Ireland and befriended and worked for years beside people "from the other side", but I am now living in California ... the amount of ire and hatred stirred up among people who agree with each other in almost everything except for a few wedge issues is astounding to me.

23. supercaliber thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, not just me, but others that work for me. Arguing about politics is a bit at pandemic levels if you ask me.

How about this? Should I warn him of my strong political opinions and the opinions of others on my staff, as he might not want to work with me?

Should I have it be a company policy not to discuss politics with any employees to make sure we all get along? Doesn't that sound silly? To me not an easy answer.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. Most people have no problems working with people who are different from themselves. The problem here lies with the OP, not others. And given his past behavior in this forum, it's no surprise.

To the OP- it is YOU who has a problem dealing with others who are different from you. If you can't learn to get along with people who are not like you, you're going to have a very difficult time in life.

25. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Easy answer: That's not silly at all.

Harder answer: It is the responsibility of any professional to be able to work productively despite personal disagreements.

Heck, I work with a guy that's a hardcore objectivist. Framed photo of Ayn Rand on his desk and everything. We've butted heads before about how he's effing insane, but only on a special mailing list we have around here precisely for blowing off that kind of nonsense. Professionally and even personally we get along fine, because we both know when to leave that stuff packed up and behave like adults.