Thoughts On How Apple Will Handle My Issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdaly821, Oct 19, 2012.

1. mdaly821 macrumors newbie

I recently bought an iPhone 5 and it was working great until 2 days ago. I could not make phone calls or connect to the internet through AT&Ts network. Instead of seeing signal bars with "AT&T" next to it, it just read "Searching..." I tried using the WiFi and it still works so I am a bit baffled at what is going on.

I tried shutting off the phone and turning it back on, restarting it, turning Airplane mode on/off, etc...nothing worked. I called AT&T who tried to "give my phone a kick in the butt". That didn't work. Then I was told I needed a new SIM card. That didn't work. The gentleman at the AT&T store said I need to bring it into an Apple store to be looked at.

I've never had an issue with any other Apple product I've owned so I'm not sure how this will be handled. I don't have Apple Care and I am worried because based on what I hear from others, Apple is very stubborn with simply replacing merchandise.

I have not dropped my phone, I have not spilled anything on it or left it in extreme temperatures, etc...

I am just curious if anyone's experienced the same thing, and, if so, how Apple handled it. Even if you haven't experienced the same thing, what is your best guess on how Apple will handle it? Will they go into an in depth forensic investigation? Will they just swap it out? Does it depend on who you get as a "genius" at the Apple store?

Any info/opinions are much appreciated. Thanks!

2. darster Suspended

Call Apple. They will tell you what you need to do. If it's not working, and you bring it in, and they cant get it to work, you get a replacement.

3. srcstc macrumors member

That isn't true at all. Take it to an apple store. If there's something wrong with it they'll replace it.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Every iPhone is warrantied for 1 year. If you live close to an Apple Store, make a Genius appointment and they'll replace it for free. That's almost 100% certain. If you live further away I'd call Apple.

I've had 2 phones replaced for far less issues once they saw them.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Unless there's something you've done to the phone to invalid the standard one-year warranty that it comes with, they'll replace your phone.

Just be sure to schedule a reservation online before you go. If you just walk in, they'll try to squeeze you between people who did make reservations, which can take a lot longer for you.

6. Hpye macrumors 6502

Are you kidding me, it is the nicest company I have ever seen. I have small scratch on the phone and go to apple store and no question ask about dropping or anything thy just swap it for me. I went back few weeks after I found out that my phone is making rattling noise and they Just swap me another one. The best customer service in the world. They don't Interrogate you like a criminal or you did something wrong . Swap the phone right away

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Apple is only "stubborn" if you're replacing it for something like cosmetic damage. If your screen was broken or your phone was clearly physically damaged, then they would take issue with exhanging your phone, because it's obvious the damage was your fault.

But, if a phone can't connect to the network, and there's no clear signs of any user damage, they will be VERY good about making sure you get a working phone.

Get a genius appointment, go into the store and show them your problem. They'll take good care of you.