Thoughts on Mosque near ground 0?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Illuminated, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Today is 9/11, a day to remember all the innocent lives that were lost 9 years ago. It's a tough day for all the families to remember their loved ones, and a day for all Americans to come together as one.

But here's something new. The Mosque that may/may not be getting built near ground zero. Many people including Donald Trump, don't want it built. I for one, don't find it an issue. It's America, the country of freedom, where anyone can build their place of worship as they please. But yet, we don't let the Muslims build their mosque or, cultural center. As a country, it seems like we hate all Muslims...

But as a whole, the Muslims are great people, with peaceful minds, just like the most of us. They are just caught up in a world of propaganda, and harmful thinking that their government, or preachers have made them think in.

So 1/3 of the population of the WORLD is Muslim. That's about 2 billion people. But only 19 out of that 2 billion were the ones committed the terroristic attacks, but now, we Americans hate all of them, and won't let them build their place of worship anywhere...

...but wait...isn't this how the holocaust started? The German Nazis hated all jews, didn't let them into the country, and ended up starting the holocaust? How about the genocide in Darfur? What's next? We're gonna not, first allow muslims live in America in freedom, then the Christians? Than the Jews?

All the countries that started a genocide against a certain race/religion, didn't think they were doing anything wrong. In fact, they thought they were doing something RIGHT! But it's a disease of thinking that will hurt a lot of people.

Thoughts?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Let them build it. If nothing more than to piss off the wackos. I hate the fact that we've letting crazy people dictate what happens in this country.

3. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Like the burning of the koran, I think it is unwise, but they own the property and are free to do with it what they want.

4. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I hope they build it and someone flies a plane into it.

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

(It's not a mosque, it's an Islamic cultural centre.)

Just build the bloody thing and tell those who oppose it out of political self-interest to take a running jump.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Someone like you?

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

There are 1.57 billion muslims worldwide which is 1/5 of the worlds population. Yes, 19 men hijacked the planes and flew them into buildings killing just under 3000 people, but many more were involved in the planning and logistics than just 19.

"We americans" don't hate "all of them" and they can build a place of worship anywhere.

The Nazis were against the jews for different reasons and isn't really comparable.

I understand your overall point but you can be more precise with your language especially with a sensitive subject.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You hope that innocent people are killed. For what reason, exactly?

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

With this particular poster, the answer probably won't surprise you.

10. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

It isn't even on Ground Zero. It isn't even a Mosque.

Would it even feature Minarets?

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh, but to the wackos, it's a mosque, and it's just the Muslims way of marking their victory! :rolleyes:

I'm not kidding, just look it up on the net.

12. MisterK macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I really wish it would be built there. I don't think it will be. I think it would speak volumes to Americans taking the high road. The many Muslims living peacefully in the States will now be more alienated than ever and the radicals can point to their outcasting for recruitment fodder. The terrorists who committed the act should be punished, of course, but the twin towers site could become a place of peace made between the peaceful, rather than a place for victims to wallow in their hate.

Pushing the mosque (or whatever it is) out and suggesting the burning of holy books is just making wars about injustices into ones about religion.

13. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

It's really infuriating how most of the media has reported this all.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What a sad, sad thing to say. Are there no depths that you won't go to push your political ideology? :rolleyes:

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense at all.

Why would you even say something like this?

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

No- he's apparently no better than a terrorist.

17. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

I don’t know how to fly an aircraft. But considering this subject that never stopped the diseased minds who perpetrated that attack nine years ago.
    The people who want that mosque aren’t innocent. They have even been identified as having ties to the people who attacked on 9-11-2001. Even if there were no ties whatsoever it’s still disgraceful that they would build a monument on the ground where lay the dead bodies of American victims murdered in mass by the same philosophy propagated within that structure.

18. william sire macrumors regular

william sire

You people didn’t just have a cup of the kool aid, you’re drinking shotgun from the bottom of a barrel.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I look at it this way:

9/11 was the greatest single act of hatred ever perpetrated upon American soil. The culprits are people who believe there can be no peace between people of different faiths, only a state of war.

The mosque is being built by Muslims dedicated to peace, and our tolerance, even welcoming of it, will show the terrorists that 9/11 didn't work.

It's actually a pretty good way to say "**** you" to the bad guys.

Edit: william sire, I've seen posts similar to yours written by other people, and they make me angry because they rely so heavily on gut emotion instead of reason.

I don't know why, but often yours don't make me angry, they make me kind of sad. You just come across to me as a very unhappy, bitter man.

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Just like on 9/11?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/11/nyregion/11religion.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper&pagewanted=all
    "Opponents of the Park51 project say the presence of a Muslim center dishonors the victims of the Islamic extremists who flew two jets into the towers. Yet not only were Muslims peacefully worshiping in the twin towers long before the attacks, but even after the 1993 bombing of one tower by a Muslim radical, Ramzi Yousef, their religious observance generated no opposition"​

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You do realise it's a community centre, not a mosque. It will be full of innocent people... but regardless, please back this statement up with some facts from a credible source, thanks. No-one would like to think you're just plucking this stuff from thin air, or from anywhere else...

Where do you get the idea that it's a monument? Where do you get the idea that it's on the same ground? Where do you get the idea that the only people who died that day were Americans, or even Christian, for that matter? And where do you get the idea that the remembrance of this day and its victims are yours to appropriate for your own political ends?

22. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I don't think the wackos believe it's a mosque. They believe it's a terrorist headquarters. :(

I don't really care what they build near ground zero. This mosque is what... 3 blocks away? Where's the next closest one? How close is too close? If it had already been there I doubt they would even be up in arms. They just want something to whine about.

I do think it's unwise of them to build it solely just due to the crazies... but that's their prerogative.

I do wish somebody had come up with something besides "9/11" though... I hate even just saying it as in, "Oh hey when are you free?" "Ummm... is Septemeber 11th good for you?" *feels awkward* :eek:

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think I heard Rush Limbaugh propagating this idea. No real specifics behind it, just accusations.

It would be so unlike the right wing to invent "facts" where there are none, right? :rolleyes:

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

What bugs me about this entire thing was it was a none issue until fox ran a story about it. Before then even consevertives were supporting it. Fox runs the story with it's crappy head line and then the other outlets ran with it making it even worse. It is a shunning example of how little our media cares about the truth and they just want to start trouble.
    They could of took a stance against it but they made it even bigger head lines and a bigger deal.

Posted from mu iPod.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Then we can count on you to do it, I suppose.

For the last time, it's not a mosque, and it's not being built on ground zero.

You have the nerve to talk about drinking kool aid?