Thoughts on Obama 2 years later?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by glocke12, Dec 6, 2010.

?

Obama Supporters, what do you think now?

1. Exceeded my expectations

4 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Met my expectations

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Not met my expectations

37 vote(s)
    43.5%
  4. Didn't vote for the guy

24 vote(s)
    28.2%
  1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

This is for both U.S. and international forum members.

Just curious what the overall feeling is on Obama 2 years into his presidency.
    I remember back in 2008 when many here had high hopes for his presidency, and were buoyed by many of his promises, close gitmo, get rid of DADT, higher "respect" from the international community, etc.

Well, two of his big promises did not happen, and more than likely wont happen any time soon.

What do people think of his presidency now ?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

He's too soft. He spends more time compromising with the republicans rather than advancing the things he believes in.

On a broader note, why is it that when the republicans are in power they basically ignore the democrats and push their own agenda, but when the situation is reversed the democrats are always seem to give in and compromise rather than just push their own agenda?

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I like his stance on many domestic issues, hate his foreign policy (Bush Jr. continued), and extremely disappointed in his complete lack of leadership and use of the bully pulpit. Call him Mr. Cave-in.

It's sad that I might have to vote for him in 2012 to keep someone much much worse in office.

That said, on a purely personal level removed from politics, he does seem like a really nice guy.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

He hasn't met my expectations and I'm very disappointed so far, however, he's still better than anyone the republicans will have to offer in 2012 by a mile. So I'll be voting for him again.

I think we just have to accept the fact that our elections are the lesser of two evils. Even if they seem great on paper, and seem great as a candidate, they change once they get elected. They all do.

5. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

IMO ... he is one of the smoothest talking Presidents ... I like how he carries himself :cool:

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Come on man, Slick Willy has that market cornered.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The country at large has unrealistic expectations. No president can hope to solve problems like the economic crisis, the national debts, two wars, and a whole slew of other issues in two years.

To call Obama's administration a failure now would be as premature as calling it a success - it is simply far too early to make broad pronouncements of this kind, although the media certainly will.

The current administration has taken the admirable position of trying to engage Republicans and establish political consensus through compromises. However, I think that Obama needs to show more toughness at times. It is wise to try and gain consensus when possible, but it is clear that the GOP's long-term strategy is to obstruct him in most of his platform promises, and if he truly thinks those projects important he will have no choice but to take the fight to his opponents and use his political tools more freely.

The '08 election was a very partisan affair. Both during and subsequent to his election campaign, Obama has come under unusual and unsubstantiated personal criticism by a but highly vocal element of the political right (such as the birthers). The focus on personal attacks to the detriment of substantive politics, inflamed by the media, has taken attention away from the very real problems we are facing. But perhaps the reason for this is that people don't want to hear about the boring truths when fantastic lies are much more exciting.

Whether you agree with politcs or not, it is clear that his political opponents are usinig every possible tool to prevent Obama's administration from achieving its goals. The political scene is highly polarized and antagonistic, the classic symptom of a nation that is collectively under stress. In my opinion, Obama needs to take a firmer hand at the controls and push forward his agenda.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

does met my expectation count when he just has been proving time and time again that he is an empty suit and full of BS.

9. citizenzen macrumors 65816

After caving in time after time to republicans and the conservative wing of the democratic party, what are the chances of him doing this?

Compromising is one thing... capitulating is another. I have never in my 50 years experienced a president so lacking in resolve. Politics is a dirty business. The president can't be afraid to take a stand and mix it up.

I have been utterly dismayed with Obama's lack of political courage and inability to communicate to the nation why his agenda should be enacted. I will probably vote for a democrat in 2012, instead of for a fringe third party candidate, but Obama has given me every reason to turn my back on the party.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

vote for a 3rd party. Voting for him just because he is the least worse between the 2 choices is just continuing he system of voting for ****.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I know most here are liberals but sorry... Obama is done. The "scorched earth" policy of his and the democratic party is done as well.

Worst economic times going into his first few weeks of office and he decides to reform health care?

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I believe it was Michael Moore who said, "Take off your pink tutu Mr. President".

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What "scorched earth policy"?

Also, you realize that healthcare is the main driver of our debt problems right?

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Like others, I'm disappointed that he doesn't seen constitutionally capable of kicking butt and taking names, and that he's way too willing to compromise with people who are, after all, right wing extremists. I now find myself thinking that Hillary would've been a heckuva lot stronger leader.

What in the world are you talking about?

Obama and the Democrats are "scorched earth" in the same way that Andy Dick is the Hulk.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LMAO. Well done, sir.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

This kind of ignorance is why I'm always pragmatic and vote democrat instead of third party. I'll do whatever I need to do to lessen the power and influence of conservatives.

"scorched earth"... geeze-us-christ. :rolleyes:

17. 184550 Guest

Exceeded my expectations.

I have been very pleased with his foreign policy, particularly with the expanded drone strikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan and Yemen.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Screw international law and treaties! We do whatever the hell we want.

USA! USA! USA!

19. 184550 Guest

Sure. :rolleyes:

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What right does the USA have to cross any border it feels with drones to kill people?

21. 184550 Guest

That was a sarcastic 'Sure'. I apologize if the emoticon didn't covey that effectively. :rolleyes:

If it's not obvious, I could care less about the right we do or do not have.

22. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Back to the original question...

He seems pretty ineffective. Sure - he's a charming and charismatic guy, and still popular, but it seems that he's been unable to deliver on many of the promises he made at home. He's also performed poorly from a strategic point of view - and as a result of the recent election the Republicans have managed to rob him of even more capability.

US politics does seem to be in a mess, with the Republican party willing to work against the countries interests - concentrating on playing politics and thwarting Obama election pledges.

It's little better in the UK. The (now in opposition) Labour party have tuned their back on the plans they were making while in power, and instead are concentrating on opposing any and all government policies - in the same cynical expedient manner as the US Republican/Democrat situation.

23. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm disappointed that President Obama hasn't challenged the Right more, and has let the Right set the terms of debate. In early 2008, we were fighting off the second great depression, and the economists said that it would take five years before there would be smooth sailing. 2.5 years later, the expectation was that the economy should be completely fixed by now. I also think that he hasn't been as effective at negotiations with the Right as he could be.

24. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

He gives in and backs off much too easily, and he hasn't done a good job at informing the public about what he's done. You'd think they (Democrats) would campaign on expanding health care to 30,000,000 more people while reducing the debt, but instead all I hear people talk about is how the public option that is supposedly coming creates death panels. You would think Obama would call out Republicans on wanting to force a $700,000,000,000 bill paid for by our children and grandchildren to keep a 3% tax cut on the richest people in America.

Instead, it's compromise, compromise, compromise. And nothing too noteworthy has been done. You can't deny that the country is doing better than the last year or two of Bush, but I think he still could have done much better.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Few ultra-right folks realize this-- it takes a perspective longer than two years to worry about healthcare costs, global warming, or anything else of real importance. All the ultra-right cares about is the next election, period.